MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Sunday, December 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 21.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Favorite Potluck Dishes

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Favorite Potluck Dishes

Postby acereraser » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:08 pm

As my kids get older, there seem to be more and more potlucks, and as I was ruminating what to make for the next one, I realized that I should have a few standard dishes at the ready. But, instead, it is always a late decision, and never quite a satisfying one.

So, my fellow forons, do you have a favorite potluck dish that always gets emptied? Or maybe, is there something you are always happy to see on the serving table? I am not vegetarian/vegan, so tips towards that direction would probably be extra helpful, but it is not a requirement.

I do have two requests. Please, no mayo, and no salads with nuts, because I want to enjoy what I prepare (just in case there are leftovers).
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Favorite Potluck Dishes

Postby Meade » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:49 pm

Roast Beef and water chestnuts wrapped in bacon.
http://www.grillingcompanion.com/grilling-beef-roast/

If it's a large party, roast a turkey, chicken, and duck on your Weber grill. Not a turducken - three separate whole birds.
Last edited by Meade on Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:52 pm

My mother-in-law called this Goulash:

1 lb ground beef
2 medium or 1 large can stewed Italian style tomatoes
Package of American Cheese slices
2 cups Elbow macaroni uncooked

Brown the beef in a pan. Chop tomatoes and add to cooked beef.
You can get fancy and saute chopped onion, garlic and oregano.
Cook macaroni and add to beef and tomatoes. Melt cheese over the mixed beef, tomatoes and macaroni. This was a family staple for years and makes a good leftover too. Much better than hamburger helper! Enjoy! Ingredients can be adjusted for quantity.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:18 pm

acereraser wrote:I do have two requests. Please, no mayo, and no salads with nuts, because I want to enjoy what I prepare (just in case there are leftovers).

Bummer - my #1 goto is a chicken cashew salad. Simple to make, always gone before we leave.

It depends on the event - for example, for family reunions I will often grill a couple dozen brats, because it always seems like we are heavy on salads and desserts. Or, I will pick up 3 pounds of sliced roast beef and throw it in a crock pot with some beef broth, garlic powder, etc. and serve it with buns.

The non-nut goto salad is a cold taco salad - ground beef or turkey with taco seasoning, cheese, onions, tomatoes, lettuce, kidney beans and taco chips with some Italian dressing. If I have limited time, sliced cukes on top of little rye bread squares with cream cheese, Italian dressing mix, and ground pepper. If there is a little more time, veggie pizza or fruit pizza always work.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:58 am

Drat, I think I was unclear before, but it made sense to me. Anyway, what I meant was, if someone has a really good vegetarian/vegan dish that everyone likes, let me know, because I might have missed it. Thanks again.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:05 am

My favorite pot luck dish is always black bean salad. You can make it HUGE and it doesn't cost a fortune. If you bring any home, it's great the second day. You can make it spicy or mild, you can put corn in or leave it out, you can add something seasonal from your own garden, you can do it a million different ways. You can even mash it a little and use it for dip, especially the second day.

Instead of giving one favorite recipe I'll just say google "black bean salad" and find one that suits you.

Lime juice makes it better, or a squeeze of orange juice.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby LargeMarge » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:52 am

This is my super easy tortellini salad.

Two packages of RP's cheese tortellini
One jar of Renaissance Farm Pesto (I don't know if this has walnuts or pine nuts - I assume you can have pine nuts since they are seeds not nuts or you could make your own, too.)
Fresh mozzarella, cubed
Cherry tomatoes, halved

Cook pasta according to directions. Cover with pesto. I usually don't use the whole jar. Add cheese and tomatoes.

The high quality pasta and pesto make it delicious. It is best at room temperature.
LargeMarge
Forum Addict

Postby rabble » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:11 am

I know this is Ace's thread and I'm going to go to hell for wanting to shift focus but I'm intensely curious about Igor's chicken cashew salad.

The internet has about a hundred versions. Does yours have pasta?
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby okbpinwi » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:14 am

cheesy potatoes.
okbpinwi

Postby donges » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:22 pm

I dislike potluck, at least with people I don't know very well.
Trusting the sanitary conditions of other people's hands while cooking or the condition of their kitchens is difficult. I mean, did they taste their contribution with the same spoon over and over while preparing?
I know, the same thing could happen in a restaurant, but at least there is some semblance of health inspection going on there (as well as signs reminding to wash hands) and it is only one kitchen at a time rather than 30.
I guess I spent too many years as a youth frequently trapped in a Lutheran hall peering with mistrust at grungy slow cookers and jello with carrot shreds in it.
Couldn't do it, no matter how bad I had the munchies.
donges
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:29 pm

donges wrote:Trusting the sanitary conditions of other people's hands while cooking or the condition of their kitchens is difficult.

And you trust restaurants more? I've seen some of these kitchens and even though there are health inspectors, you're probably not going to want to eat out anymore.

Or you can be a little less paranoid.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby donges » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:48 pm

Stebben84 wrote:Or you can be a little less paranoid.

heh. You didn't know these Lutherans!
donges
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:04 pm

Ms Vilas often makes this for potlucks/family get-togethers and frequently gets asked for the recipe.

Chinese Coleslaw (yes, I know it should be called Japanese Coleslaw because of the ramen noodles, but that is what her recipe card says.)

1 # pkg. coleslaw mix
2 pkg. beef ramen noodles with seasoning packets
1 cup salad oil
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup white vinegar
1 cup roasted, unsalted sunflower kernels
1 cup toasted almonds
1 bunch chopped scallions

Dressing:
Mix oil, vinegar, sugar and seasoning packets. Refrigerate overnight.

Next day:
Mix ingredients, break up ramen noodles (pound with fist while still in the package) and toss with the dressing.

It's almost veggie, except for the beef seasoning.
Last edited by Henry Vilas on Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:10 pm

rabble wrote:I know this is Ace's thread and I'm going to go to hell for wanting to shift focus but I'm intensely curious about Igor's chicken cashew salad.

The internet has about a hundred versions. Does yours have pasta?

Hey, this is just a friendly potluck thread, I don't think a little threadjack between friends should contribute to your eternal damnation.

I really like snoqueen's black bean salad idea, especially the notion to process the leftovers into dip. What I am afraid of is inadvertently stepping on the toes of the person who always makes black bean salad. I don't really know who that person is, but I seem to remember that dish every potluck.

By the way, I am not allergic to nuts, I just don't like them in salads.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:25 pm

Mine is very close to the one listed above:

1 or 2 bags of coleslaw mix
1 pkg. beef ramen noodles - throw away seasoning packets
Somewhere between 2/3 and a full can of cashews
1 bunch scallions chopped (optional)
2 already baked chicken breasts, or package of pre-baked chicken
Butter
Garlic
1/2 cup Veg oil
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup white vinegar
1 T Soy Sauce

Dressing:
Mix oil, vinegar, sugar and soy sauce.

Salad - Cut up the chicken and sautee it in butter and garlic. Break up the ramen noodles, and bake the noodles and cashews at 350 for about 10-15 minutes to soften them slightly. Mix and serve...
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Cooking & Food issues