MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, August 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 80.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Local source for no-spray canning tomatoes

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Local source for no-spray canning tomatoes

Postby fennel » Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:52 pm

Does anyone have suggestions for no-spray or organic growers of canning tomatoes? I've been getting some for $15 a bushel through a west side market farmer, but it seems they've been tossing in rotting tomatoes. I expect cracked and scabby fruit, since that's really only cosmetic. But decaying tomatoes - no.

Since there's so much waste, we're not even getting 14 canned quarts per bushel, vs 20-21 which is typical.

By canning tomatoes, I don't mean Romas or other paste varieties. I find that good eating tomatoes are what works best for me.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Local source for no-spray canning tomatoes

Postby Meade » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:34 pm

Grow your own.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Athena » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:21 am

This is from the JenEhr newsletter. They sell at the downtown market:

I know that its the time of year when everybody has tomatoes at the market. You can purchase big bags for a well tuned song. As you look for those bulk deals on tomatoes, stop and see JenEhr. We do offer 20lb boxes of certified organic tomatoes for $40 (full 20lb boxes only). These are the slicers that make a nice rich tomato sauce. You can find them cheaper somewhere else. You won't find beautiful organic tomatoes with big hoophouse flavor any cheaper. These are the tomatoes I want my family eating on spaghetti night and atop our pizzas.
Athena
Forum Addict

Postby fennel » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:50 am

Athena wrote:This is from the JenEhr newsletter. They sell at the downtown market:

I know that its the time of year when everybody has tomatoes at the market. You can purchase big bags for a well tuned song. As you look for those bulk deals on tomatoes, stop and see JenEhr. We do offer 20lb boxes of certified organic tomatoes for $40 (full 20lb boxes only). These are the slicers that make a nice rich tomato sauce. You can find them cheaper somewhere else. You won't find beautiful organic tomatoes with big hoophouse flavor any cheaper. These are the tomatoes I want my family eating on spaghetti night and atop our pizzas.
Thanks, but that comes to $100 per bushel (53 pounds). My limit is about $20 for canning quality.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Lily » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:40 pm

Hit the Farmer's Market at DOT. I can get a three pound bag with a variety of tomatoes that are "scratch and dent" NOT rotten, for $2.00. You may probably be able strike a deal with the vendor if you want a bulk purchase. I purchase one bag every time I hit the Saturday market and come home and make my own freezer sauce. (Canning is too scary for me.) Several vendors at the Farmer's Market on the Square do this too and the tomatoes have fantastic flavor.
Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:24 pm

It's that time of the year again. Does anyone have suggestions for good, ugly, tomatoes, or is that a closely guarded secret — like morel locations?

The only way to compare pricing if you're putting up enough for a full year is to compare bushel prices (1 bushel = 53 pounds). I'm willing to drive, since there isn't much on offer at the farmer's markets. For context, a reasonable bushel price for no-spray canning tomatoes is around $18-$20, which comes to about 38 cents per pound.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Violet_Skye » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:42 am

"Troy Farm has 20 cukes for $7; 20 lb tomatoes for $28; 1 lb basil for $10. Email jake@troygardens.org to reserve" From CommunityGroundWorks ‏@TalesFromTroy on twitter.
Violet_Skye
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:09 pm

Sill unable to find canning tomatoes at a reasonable price. We did find some for $30 a bushel at the Hilldale market, and though they were in excellent condition, the variety was thick-skinned and fibrous.

When I made inquiries amongst several vendors, they seemed oddly cagey about revealing their bushel price. Sometimes they would feign ignorance about what a bushel was, or that a bushel equated to a standard measure of weight for a given item.

What happened to the "farmers" in farmers' markets?
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stella_Guru » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:03 am

fennel wrote:What happened to the "farmers" in farmers' markets?

They have had to become "entertainers" and sell their products piecemeal to make any money. It is not worth lugging bushels of tomatoes into a farmer's market for the prices you have mentioned.
Stella_Guru
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:46 pm

Picking tomatoes is labor intensive. You should really look for a pick your own bushel place and quit your bitching.
Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:42 pm

I had no idea pick-your-own operations existed for tomatoes, but I just now found a place near Indian lake that has them for $29 per bushel (.55/lb). That's not a great price, but you can be selective in your picking. Off we go.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:44 pm

fennel wrote:I had no idea pick-your-own operations existed for tomatoes, but I just now found a place near Indian lake that has them for $29 per bushel (.55/lb). That's not a great price, but you can be selective in your picking. Off we go.

Good for you. I will try not to be such a female dog myself.
Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:08 pm

Madsci wrote:Picking tomatoes is labor intensive. You should really look for a pick your own bushel place and quit your bitching.
Madsci wrote:Good for you. I will try not to be such a female dog myself.

I have a stunning hunch Madsci has never grown nor picked a living tomato. (And that he's been running short on his beta-blockers ...)
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:12 am

I have a stunning hunch fennel doesn't know my sister (Madsci) is a farmer.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:20 am

Stunning Hunch = Band Name
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Cooking & Food issues