MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, October 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 39.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Inmate garden cuts food costs

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Inmate garden cuts food costs

Postby Lily » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:50 am

Read about this here:
http://tinyurl.com/bssq74t

Quoting from the article:

Inmates at Oakhill Correctional Institution in Oregon are working on a garden, where the produce grown helps feed inmates at there.

"It started as a half acre site," said Tom Vendebrink, Oakhill garden manager. "And every year or so, the warden asked if I could make it bigger."

The garden brings in an average of 60,000 pounds of produce every season, enough to help feed the inmates and save taxpayers thousands of dollars."
----------------------------------

Any excess they grow is donated to Second Harvest. What an incredibly wonderful idea!! Gets the inmates outdoors learning a productive activity, saves taxpayer dollars, provides healthy food for inmates, and helps others in need.

"You learn new things, things you can take into the community. Things that you can use as you move forward. It feels good, for me and the guys, being able to come out here and do things to give back to the community," Cooper said."
Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Inmate garden cuts food costs

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:07 am

Very proud of my institution every time I walk up the hill past those gardens.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Cooking & Food issues