MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 72.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Wok recommendations

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Wok recommendations

Postby Lily » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:45 pm

My last wok was Teflon coated and the coating has since begun to flake. Time for a new one. I love the flexibility of stir fry.

Been reading up and although Teflon coatings have improved over the years and lets you use less oil some places I've read that chemicals used for the coating can be harmful. The wok design itself allows for less oil in cooking anyway so maybe using Teflon is a moot point?

All the choices and internet voices are confusing. Carbon steel? Stainless steel? Aluminum bonded with steel? Is the Teflon coating debate just being paranoid? I have a glass top stove so I'll need a flat bottom wok style. From what I've read I'm leaning towards carbon steel.
Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Wok recommendations

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:53 pm

I've been pretty happy with this one. It comes with a ring base so your range shouldn't pose a problem.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00012 ... 04_s00_i01

Advice: season, season, season.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:39 pm

My sense is that carbon steel is still the best all-around option for a wok. Even among the price-is-no-object cookware hounds, there is a strong contingent that favors carbon steel for any type of high-temperature cooking.

But, really, you just have to have one of these to achieve the full (22,000 BTU, baby!) experience.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Petro » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:37 pm

fennel wrote:But, really, you just have to have one of these to achieve the full (22,000 BTU, baby!) experience.

Nah, if you're serious about doing it properly, there's no substitute for a 65,000 BTU propane wok burner.

It's also far, far cheaper.
Petro
Forum Addict

Postby Lily » Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:49 am

TheBookPolice wrote:I've been pretty happy with this one. It comes with a ring base so your range shouldn't pose a problem.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00012 ... 04_s00_i01

Advice: season, season, season.

Thanks TBP. The retail stores I've checked so far in Madison all have woks with teflon coating. I'm not looking for macho-extreme level woking, just the carbon steel. Guess it'll be amazon.
Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boss302 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:08 pm

Joined just to post this. I've gotten 3 woks from this site. They work great and season well. The Wok Shop I like this one but many more to choose from and good shipping too!
boss302
boss302

Postby john_titor » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:06 pm

Petro wrote:
Nah, if you're serious about doing it properly, there's no substitute for a 65,000 BTU propane wok burner.

It's also far, far cheaper.

I actually came here to say just that and was looking up woks too, Lily. Teflon seems to be getting a lot of bad press in regards to the fumes it emits when heated. My problem was never being able to get the wok hot enough. A few weeks back I was researching this. I think it would be really easy to set up the burner Petro describes outside my backdoor.

I narrowed my choice to cast iron or rolled carbon steel. If I get the burner, I think I would go with the carbon steel. Cast iron would be fun though. But I want handles so when I lift it up it will make that noise and I can lift it up and flip stuff with the ladle. I found this thread which hits a lot of the points: http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/297808
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:15 pm

Practically speaking, I think an 18,000 BTU burner ought to serve just fine unless you typically cook batches for more than four at a time.

And if you have at least one good high-capacity burner, ventilation is a more pressing issue than BTUs, especially if you're cooking with gas.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby AndyMatts » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:34 pm

Carbon steel, definitely. I got mine in the very late 80s from a late-night infomercial (the Hand-Hammered Wok!). It's still crankin'.

My only other ever infomercial purchase was the Showtime Rotissere.
AndyMatts

Return to Cooking & Food issues