MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Wednesday, September 17, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 42.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Gadgets I don't use

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Gadgets I don't use

Postby fennel » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:56 am

What are the gadgets/tools in your kitchen that, counter to initial expectations, you just never use?

Mine is a mandoline.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Gadgets I don't use

Postby Endo Rockstar » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:02 am

Espresso Machine/ Latte Make. I want to use it but I never do. “Hey I’ll wake up early on Saturday and Make myself a Latte.” Instead I set the timer on the trusty Mr. Coffee Friday night before I pass out and the Espresso Machine sits in the damn box.

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:05 am

I just found a food processor in the back of a cabinet that was a wedding present from over two years ago... That makes it the winner I would say as I didn't even know I had it. Now that I do maybe it'll move up in the rankings.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:12 am

Food processor = pie crust! (And pesto.)
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:14 am

fisticuffs wrote:I just found a food processor in the back of a cabinet that was a wedding present from over two years ago... That makes it the winner I would say as I didn't even know I had it. Now that I do maybe it'll move up in the rankings.

Ditto. I purchased a really nice one years back thinking I would use it all the time. That didn't happen. I will say that I really like it when I do need to use it, but that is very infrequent.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:15 am

I'm actually pretty good about not cluttering my kitchen with gadgets I won't use (space is at a premium and I have lots that I do use.) That said, I was super-excited when I decided it was time to replace my nearly-decade-old indoor grill (which I use all the time -- boy oh boy do I loves me some indoor grillin') and I got one with reversable plates: grill side/griddle side.

The day it arrived, I immediately decided to make myself a griddle-tastic breakfast (for dinner, of course) and was immediately disheartened. Now, I understand that it can't be completely level - the fat needs to run off, after all - but dang if the thing is totally useless for frying eggs. At least half of the first egg I cracked drained right off the griddle and cracking the second egg on even higher heat and further away from the run-off barely helped at all. Refusing to be dissuaded, I invested in some egg rings. They keep the eggs on the griddle, to be sure, but instead of running off, they just slosh up against the side of the ring until the pressure bursts the yolk.

My dreams of the perfect all-in-one breakfast-cooking surface dashed, I was forced to revert back to my trusty old cast-iron pan for eggs and meat and now I just use the grill-side of the indoor grill for my hash brown patties.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:16 am

fisticuffs wrote:I just found a food processor in the back of a cabinet that was a wedding present from over two years ago... That makes it the winner I would say as I didn't even know I had it. Now that I do maybe it'll move up in the rankings.

We have two food processors. Both are garage sale pickups. The only time I use them is to mince the fuck out of onions because I don't like the texture of them and if a recipe calls for them I make sure they're as smalll as possible. Why do we own two? I have no clue but its probably the same reason we have two blenders.

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:23 am

Endo Rockstar wrote:We have two food processors. Both are garage sale pickups. The only time I use them is to mince the fuck out of onions
I received two food processors as wedding gifts, one of which the ex took after she dumped me and the other sat unused in a cabinet for several years before I finally just gave it away. I never used it because there wasn't room to leave it out on a counter and I have no dishwasher, which makes cleaning it a big pain in the ass. A year or so ago I invested in this cheap and adorable little guy and now I can't believe I ever got along without one. So small and convenient, and clean-up is a breeze.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:40 am

What to do with the food processor (works best in a small one).

Parsley pesto:

Parsley (cleaned by immersing in water; stems removed)
Olive oil
Walnuts
Parmesan cheese
Garlic
Lemon juice
Black pepper

Suit yourself as to amounts and proportions. More lemony? More garlicky? No problem.

Put everything in the bowl and process by pulsing, scraping everything down from the sides as necessary. You should end up with a chunky green paste (unless you are an oil freak -- suit yourself).

Eat immediately. It's excellent over angelhair pasta, but let the pasta cool down before you add the pesto or else the parmesan will melt and spoil the texture.

There is no way to make this properly without a food processor.

I might have posted this recipe before, but it's so excellent I can't help it.

Appliance I found so useless I got rid of it: cake mixer. Does anyone really make cake any more?
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:00 am

I think a good rule of thumb is: if it isn't used at least once a week, it doesn't belong on the counter top. For that reason our toaster disappears into the cupboards during certain times of the year.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:42 pm

I've got a Wisco Pizza Pal oven that takes an inordinate amount of counter space and is used much, much less now than when I was in college. However I just can't bring myself to part with it.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kittenwithawhip » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:28 pm

fennel wrote:What are the gadgets/tools in your kitchen that, counter to initial expectations, you just never use?

Mine is a mandoline.

Is it a nice mandolin? I really want one but never seem to get around to picking one up.
I am a big user of my kitchen gadgets. I have a KitchenAid food processor that just replaced a 20 year old Cuisinart, a KitchenAid mixer with a juicer attachment, an ice cream attachment and a pasta maker (that one I don't use much.) I have a Breville toaster oven that I love, a Breville juicer, 2 Oster blenders
a Cuisinart hand blender, a coffee grinder, a spice grinder and a giant Diva espresso machine. My stovetop has a grill attachment. The guest room/bar has its own coffee and tea makers and a blender.

I don't really use the waffle maker and I got rid of some extra juicers and a bread maker. Someone gave us a garlic roaster but I prefer to use the toaster oven.

But I still want a mandolin.
kittenwithawhip
Forum Addict

Postby fennel » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:48 pm

It's a fairly nice mandoline, but I still find it a bit awkward to use and to clean. The minimum volume of food to cut up needs to be fairly large to make it worthwhile.

I am still using my nitrous charged cream whipper from time to time. And now the whipping/infusing season is upon us.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:16 pm

kittenwithawhip wrote:I don't really use the waffle maker

Funny you should mention one of these.

Bacon in a waffle maker
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kittenwithawhip » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:04 pm

snoqueen wrote:What to do with the food processor (works best in a small one).

Appliance I found so useless I got rid of it: cake mixer. Does anyone really make cake any more?

Good Lord you can't be serious! Cake is one of the most important food groups in the world ever! If there were no cake I would have no reason to go on. I love cake. I love making cake. I love looking at cake. I love the smell of cake baking in the oven. I love decorating cake. I love thinking about what kind of cake I could make next. Caaaaaaaaaake.

And fennel, I do use my ISI whipper. Probably not for its intended use as much as I should......
kittenwithawhip
Forum Addict

Next

Return to Cooking & Food issues