MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Wednesday, August 27, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 60.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

What I am Craving Now That I Can't Get

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

What I am Craving Now That I Can't Get

Postby john_titor » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:52 pm

Buzzard Eggs from Buzzard Billy's in LAX:

Armadillo Eggs (formerly buzzard eggs)
A south Texas specialty. Fresh bacon-wrapped chicken tenders stuffed with sliced jalapenos and pepperjack cheese. Served with ranch dressing.

http://www.buzzardbillys.com/la-crosse/menu/

Pre-post edit: I found this picture, which does in fact do it justice. Look at the bacon. Look at it. Imagine it cut in half and cheesy spicy goo pouring out. With chicken. And ranch.

Cut Wisconsin, it bleeds ranch and curd.

It's not a true armadillo egg. It is more a bacon wrapped 4 inch ball of fun. It has chicken, inside a jalapeno, with cheese that melts throughout, wrapped in a protective bacon shell. Cutting in half releases the oozy chicken jalapeno pouch. Dipped in ranch and followed with beer leaves bliss.

I can't speak about anything else for the place, as this is all I ever get. I will say you should walk down the street, buy a tapper for 50 cents and feel old.

This person approximates it: http://atablefor7.blogspot.com/2007/11/ ... -eggs.html (toothpicks = bad)

If you ever head past Lacrosse, stop by for one with a Pearl Street IPA.

On a lighter note, mustard, beer, onions, and limburger at Baumgartner's beckons, an hour beyond my limit.

https://baumgartnercheese.com/menu
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Re: What I am Craving Now That I Can't Get

Postby Bwis53 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:16 pm

The first thing that came up for me was my dad's oniony potato pancakes. Divine!
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:55 am

I thought this was going to be about twinkies and ding dongs.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Galoot » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:18 am

Good beer and Thai food. Neither are readily available where I live in Brazil. Most of the beer here is disgusting stuff, that the locals drink at near-freezing temperatures to make it tolerable.

I gather there is Thai food in other big cities, but I don't think there is any in Salvador.
Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Postby LargeMarge » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:27 pm

Bwis53 wrote:The first thing that came up for me was my dad's oniony potato pancakes. Divine!

I am always craving potato pancakes like the ones that used to come with fish fries in Milwaukee.

I also am craving Chiles en Nogada (stuffed poblano in a creamy walnut sauce.) I am getting the latter on Wednesday at Jalapeno Loco across from the Milwaukee airport.
LargeMarge
Forum Addict

Return to Cooking & Food issues