MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, November 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 24.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Beyond Meat

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Re: Beyond Meat

Postby peripat » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:41 am

Not really worth pithing yourself over-the believers will continue to believe whatever somebody told them and the sceptics will continue to demand proof (how rude) and never the twain shall meet...
peripat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dairylander » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:43 pm

I Can't Believe It's Not Chicken!
I've been eating strictly vegan for several years and decided to accept Tsur's "Beyond Meat" tasting challenge.
I brought home a pint of each of Whole Foods' prepared dishes (from the cold case): a spicy broccoli stir fry and a curry something or other.
The fake chicken in the stir fry was really convincing. The chew, the way it comes apart in strands, and even the flavor were remarkably chickenesque. I'd say it's 90% accurate, all things considered. It even made me a little nostalgic for my omnivorous days.
The fake chicken in the curry dish had the aforementioned attributes, but was really tough. It must have been overcooked, because it was distinctly tougher and more dry than the other dish.
Neither dish had a very good sauce, so if they sell it in virgin form, I'd recommend cooking it yourself.
Dairylander
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Tsur » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:13 pm

Dairylander wrote:I Can't Believe It's Not Chicken!
I've been eating strictly vegan for several years and decided to accept Tsur's "Beyond Meat" tasting challenge.

Dairylander, I can't decide if I'm more grateful to you for trying the product or for posting on topic. Either way, thanks!

I've tried the WH deli dishes once more since I first posted and agree with your assessment. The stir fry is better. I even kind of like the sauce. But I'm hoping that WH is doing the product an injustice and the it's better than how they prepare it. I feel like it might be a suitable chicken analogue, but I just can't tell.

Hopefully a meat eater will take the challenge too.
Tsur

Postby fennel » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:03 pm

There was an interesing call-in show on WPR, recently, that discussed approaches to moving toward a vegan diet. When the subject of packaged meat subsitutes came up, the response seemed to be that these may be useful for newbies in the short term –– and possibly for meat-eaters who have no intention to migrate to a meatless or low-meat diet.

The food cost vs nutrition will always be exorbitant for these products. (That's why they exist, after all.) And the distraction of thinking of food in terms of meat is no help to people who are trying to discover (or re-discover) more practical and interesting ways of eating.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Tsur » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:48 am

fennel wrote:The food cost vs nutrition will always be exorbitant for these products. (That's why they exist, after all.) And the distraction of thinking of food in terms of meat is no help to people who are trying to discover (or re-discover) more practical and interesting ways of eating.

Beyond Meant is trying to be different. For one thing, their aim is to be less expensive than chicken or other meats. For another, they're not just going after vegetarians or vegans. They want meat eaters to regularly eat their products.

I'm not saying that they'll succeed, but that's their goal. Their financial backers are the founders of Twitter. They're out to change the world, not just make a meat substitute.
Tsur

Postby Dairylander » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:57 am

Over the holidays I handed out samples to my family.
The consensus was positive.
One thought it was a bit unsatisfying. Another asked where to buy it.
I think it could be an effective methadone for someone trying to get off meat, but I probably won't buy it again.
Dairylander
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:10 pm

What's all this talk about Beaver anus?
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mean Scenester » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:10 pm

Beaver wrote:What's all this talk about Beaver anus?

You're a day late to the party, ass.
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mean Scenester » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:10 pm

Heh.
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Tsur » Tue May 21, 2013 1:56 pm

Beyond Meat retail packages now available at Whole Foods. It's pricey, $5.50 for 12 oz.

I'll report back after I've cooked some up.
Tsur

Postby Dairylander » Tue May 21, 2013 2:50 pm

I tried it again yesterday for the first time since Christmas.
Whole Paycheck had a yellowish dish of chopped Beyond Meat that I'd never seen before.
I woke up at midnight with a terrible stomach ache.
Granted, it could have been the weird sauce, but it was bad enough that I've sworn off the stuff forever.
Dairylander
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Tsur » Tue May 21, 2013 4:10 pm

Dairylander wrote:I woke up at midnight with a terrible stomach ache.
Granted, it could have been the weird sauce, but it was bad enough that I've sworn off the stuff forever.

My girlfriend had a bad egg roll in Madrid in 2002. To this day she won't eat an egg roll.
Tsur

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue May 21, 2013 4:15 pm

Tsur wrote:]My girlfriend had a bad egg roll in Madrid in 2002. To this day she won't eat an egg roll.

It was a bad oyster for Ms Vilas. She swears she will never eat another one again.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby LargeMarge » Wed May 22, 2013 11:58 am

Tsur wrote:
Dairylander wrote:I woke up at midnight with a terrible stomach ache.

My girlfriend had a bad egg roll in Madrid in 2002. To this day she won't eat an egg roll.

I haven't had a glass of milk since 1976. I eat dairy; I just can't drink it.
LargeMarge
Forum Addict

Previous

Return to Cooking & Food issues