MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, September 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 55.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Beyond Meat

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Re: Beyond Meat

Postby Ducatista » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:47 am

Tsur wrote:Please.

There's really no reason for you to derail this thread.

I don't agree with our tail-swallowing friend, but one person's "derail this thread" is another's "make this thread even remotely interesting."
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Tsur » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:51 pm

Ducatista wrote:I don't agree with our tail-swallowing friend, but one person's "derail this thread" is another's "make this thread even remotely interesting."

I know.

But given that I just asking a simple question, "Did you try it and did you like the taste?" And that I've repeatedly begged to him/her to stop ranting, and everyone's ability to start to their own thread, isn't it just civil to not take huge tangents?
Tsur

Postby rabble » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:58 pm

Actually, huge tangents are pretty much par for this particular course.

The threads do quite often wander back to the original topic, however. As long as nobody posts any grumpy cats.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArturoBandini » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:03 pm

rabble wrote:Actually, huge tangents are pretty much par for this particular course.
Indeed. What would TDPF be without huge tangents?
ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:15 pm

I'll take Huge Tan Gents for $200. [/connery]
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArturoBandini » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:26 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:I'll take Huge Tan Gents for $200. [/connery]
Nice work. B+.
ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:30 pm

Ah yes, we should cover all the bases here.

rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ouroborus4 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:05 pm

[quote="rrnate] Heh, yeah, pretty much. If that oncologist was like "Tofu gave you cancer", I'd look for a different Onc.

Longtime vegetarian here - I haven't tried this "Beyond Meat" stuff because I've pretty much stopped eating the fake meats. (I think that's pretty common - they're a great stepping stone, but lots of longer-term veg-types that I know eventually move away from 'em.) However, the "so, you're vegetarian, you shouldn't eat fake meat, that is hypocritical" argument is probably one of the stupidest things I've heard, and I hear it about once a year.

I do like the tempeh bacon and field roast fake sausages that are out there (as these are your two meats that are particularly not meat-flavored anyway, they're pretty easy to emulate) but eat them pretty sparingly.[/quote]

The oncologist comment was tongue-in-cheek to the cardiologist comment, but additives to food have been linked to cancer. So has soy to some extent, though it paradoxically has also been shown to reduce cancer. It mimics the estrogen receptor which increases cancer proliferation, but also has an anti-estrogen effect. The consensus goes back and forth, kinda like if coffee is good for you or not, and currently it is thought to not be linked to cancer.

"so, you're vegetarian, you shouldn't eat fake meat, that is hypocritical" is not my argument. My argument is that fake meat is unhealthy processed crap. I'm pro-vegetarian, and simply stated I don't understand the trend of trying to find something that mimicks meat, when you are trying to avoid meat. I agree downing large amounts of meat is unhealthy, high in cholesterol, and linked to cancer, though in mopderation as part of a high vegetable diet, it is very healthy as its a complete protein and loaded with vitamins and minerals.

Out of curiosity, why have you and most of the vegetarians you know stopped eating fake meats?
ouroborus4
Forum Addict

Postby rrnate » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:22 pm

ouroborus4 wrote:"so, you're vegetarian, you shouldn't eat fake meat, that is hypocritical" is not my argument. My argument is that fake meat is unhealthy processed crap. I'm pro-vegetarian, and simply stated I don't understand the trend of trying to find something that mimicks meat, when you are trying to avoid meat.

Really? Is it hard to grasp? Not everyone is a vegetarian because of a health scare.

In my example, I went vegetarian when I was 19 or so and had grown up eating meat. Back then, I had literally no concept of how to replace meat in my diet and so fake meat was a very easy way to round things out.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ouroborus4 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:35 pm

rrnate wrote:Really? Is it hard to grasp? Not everyone is a vegetarian because of a health scare.

In my example, I went vegetarian when I was 19 or so and had grown up eating meat. Back then, I had literally no concept of how to replace meat in my diet and so fake meat was a very easy way to round things out.

It does baffle me, I admit. I realize not everybody does it for health reasons. I understand the argument as an easy transition, but is it really that hard to replace meat with beans and rice, for example?

Out of curiosity, why have you and most of the vegetarians you know stopped eating fake meats?
ouroborus4
Forum Addict

Postby fennel » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:48 pm

Uncle_Leaver wrote:News flash: Tofu is soybeans which have been processed to hell and back.
This might be so if your "news" source is FauxNews, but I expect you're assuming that it's effectively impossible to avoid hyper-processed foods. Can't blame you, but I don't think that's really true.

I was walked through the tofu-making process once, and it basically consisted of grinding and boiling soy beans, then adding a coagulant that was a kind of magnesium salt. Pretty much like cheese curds. Afterwards, it's drained and pressed. It's a process that can be easily done in one's home kitchen. You could even make your own coagulant if you had sea water at hand. No doubt there are manufacturers who will (without regard to the particular food) incorporate additional processing steps, but that's how they make money, sadly.

What we typically mean by processed food doesn't have to do so much with simply altering the food. That's commonly done to make it less susceptible to short-term spoilage. Freezing, drying, pickling via fermentation, or brining are examples of traditional processing.

What we mean by processing is ultra-proccessing, the legitimacy of which is buoyed by the Sci-Fi fantasy that food can be (reliably) broken down into nutrient components, then reconstituted into new food forms. (Remember those dinner pellets from the sci-fi pics of the 60s/70s?) Nutritionism is the term Michael Pollan adopted to convey the same concept. The thing is, we just don't yet understand how food and nutrition works. We've got clues. We know about vitamins, for example. But overall we don't have enough knowlege to effectively supplant natural foods.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Uncle_Leaver » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:53 pm

Jesus Tapdancing Christ ...

My point was you can't make tofu without processing soybeans. It was a response to this jackass above claiming you shouldn't eat processed foods. For shit's sake ... cooking is food processing. Slicing food is a process. Everything this nard says is completely ambiguous and meaningless because he/she speaks in sweeping generalities that are, on their face, moronic and only mildly tainted by truth at best.

fennel wrote:What we mean by processing is ultra-proccessing, the legitimacy of which is buoyed by the Sci-Fi fantasy that food can be (reliably) broken down into nutrient components, then reconstituted into new food forms. (Remember those dinner pellets from the sci-fi pics of the 60s/70s?)

Are you people insane?! Doesn't anyone use The Googles anymore? The stuff in question is soy and pea protein that just happens to be shaped like chicken chunks. It's tofu's kissing cousin, fer chrissakes. Don't eat it, I don't give a damn ... but don't make it out to be some great health risk. I mean holy shit, talk about having no clue how to pick your effin' battles. Some of you are proving yourselves so brainless on the subjects of nutrition and food science that your eating vegetables might well be considered cannibalism.

Thanks, weirdo zealots. We are all dumber for having read this once well meaning thread. I'm going to go suffocate myself with a pillowcase full of tempeh now.
Uncle_Leaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:34 pm

Print the ingredients list from the side of the pretend-chicken box, and let's have a look.

I don't buy much of any processed-and-packaged food (tomato sauce, a few organic dairy products, and various nut butters are about it) and the ingredients list is where I make my decisions. It's there for good reason (thanks to some forward-looking legislation that would never pass today).

We could discuss this better with more information.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:44 pm

snoqueen wrote:Print the ingredients list from the side of the pretend-chicken box, and let's have a look.

http://www.beyondmeat.com/products/

Water, Soy Protein Isolate, Pea Protein Isolate, Amaranth, Natural Vegan Chicken Flavor (Maltodextrin, Yeast Extract, Natural Flavoring), Soy Fiber, Carrot Fiber, Expeller-Pressed Canola Oil, Dipotassium Phosphate, Titanium Dioxide, White Vinegar
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ouroborus4 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:45 pm

ouroborus4 wrote:For those of you considering trying Beyond Meat, take a look at the ingredients for the 'chicken': http://www.beyondmeat.com/products/

Water, Soy Protein Isolate, Pea Protein Isolate, Amaranth, Natural Vegan Chicken Flavor (Maltodextrin, Yeast Extract, Natural Flavoring), Soy Fiber, Carrot Fiber, Expeller-Pressed Canola Oil, Dipotassium Phosphate, Titanium Dioxide, White Vinegar

Mostly benign ingredients, though one must wonder why they must isolate the soy proteins, and add soy fiber, and what effect if any that has on digestion and nutrient absorption. Natural flavor is always a fun enigma too.

Dipotassium phosphate is considered likely safe (though not definitely) in small amounts unless you are pregnant or breastfeeding. It is dangerous beyond small amounts and is found in many processed foods: http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-971-PHOSPHATE%20SALTS%20%28Dipotassium%20Phosphate%29.aspx?activeIngredientId=971&activeIngredientName=PHOSPHATE%20SALTS%20%28Dipotassium%20Phosphate%29

Titanium Dioxide is a possible carcinogen: http://www.ccohs.ca/headlines/text186.html

Processed foods are not good for you regardless of how they taste or how convenient they are. My 'phobia' is actually very rational. I hope you want to avoid Beyond Meat, and stick to real food, but of course, you will do what you want to.

Arturo, good point. I don't have a good definition for you and there is a fine line.
ouroborus4
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Cooking & Food issues