MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Monday, October 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 53.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Beyond Meat

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Re: Beyond Meat

Postby Uncle_Leaver » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:27 pm

ouroborus4 wrote:Dipotassium phosphate is considered likely safe (though not definitely) in small amounts unless you are pregnant or breastfeeding. It is dangerous beyond small amounts and is found in many processed foods: http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-971-PHOSPHATE%20SALTS%20%28Dipotassium%20Phosphate%29.aspx?activeIngredientId=971&activeIngredientName=PHOSPHATE%20SALTS%20%28Dipotassium%20Phosphate%29

Something's effed with that link. It leads me to a description of saw palmetto as a treatment for an enlarged prostate. When I search WebMD for "dipotassium phosphate" it produces no results, though that may well be because it isn't a fucking drug. At best it's a supplement (as a search for "dipotassium phosphate" and "nursing mothers") will prove, though our discussion revolves around it as a food additive, so what point you're trying to make is beyond me(at). But that appears to be par for the course.

Titanium Dioxide is a possible carcinogen: http://www.ccohs.ca/headlines/text186.html

Yep a possible carcinogen ... but only when you inhale it in it's pure powdered form (or, rather, when rats do in "high concentrations"). That article has nothing to say about its use as a pigment in food or human ingestion of same. But don't let that little detail stop you from being misleading and alarmist.

Do you even read the shit you reference before you post a link? The only thing you've proven in all your yammering here is that you can't search your way out of a wet paper bag and your reading comprehension is somewhere south of abysmal.

Now, do I need to gift-wrap your ass given that it's the holiday season, or is merely handing it to you sufficient?
Uncle_Leaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:51 pm

If you are sensitive to MSG, you already know yeast extract frequently causes the same reactions as MSG. (For many people, it's a migraine.) Same with torula yeast or autolyzed yeast extract. All are considered "flavor enhancers" by the food industry.

"Natural flavors" (a separate category) covers a lot of synthesized ingredients without going into detail. For instance:

On a recent visit to multi-national flavor company Givaudan, 60 Minutes highlighted the use of beavers’ anal gland secretions in the manufacture of vanilla and raspberry flavors.

I found that here:
http://www.organicauthority.com/foodie- ... lavor.html
The link goes a web site dedicated to information for consumers of organic food, so if that's a disqualifier, don't bother to click.

Can you imagine if manufacturers had to list ingredients like “distinctive quality of beaver gland,” “essence of beetle juice” or “pleasurable perception of shellac?” Pleasurable or not, being label literate might make you want to put those bottles, cans and boxes back on the shelf.

(from same link)

Even if an ingredient doesn't cause you a migraine, do you want to be putting that stuff in your mouth if only on esthetic grounds? Some people will eat just about anything, but for others the idea we're consuming food that's clean and from desirable sources is part of the pleasure of eating.

We have no idea whether many of these additives are safe or not in the long run simply because many or most are not researched -- the law doesn't require it. Given that lack of research, I prefer foods with fewer or no such chemicals in the mix. if you want to eat them, fine. If you don't even want to read the label, fine. But I think reacting to rational caution with ridicule might backfire on you somewhere down the line. Remember how long it took to beat back the tobacco industry and convince the public cigarettes were bad for your health. Or more to the point, think how long it took to show that trans fats are bad for the heart. That stuff is in many boxed foods, but the desirable daily consumption is... zero.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:09 pm

Let us not conflate "unusual" and "unsafe," unless you want those natural casings on your artisanal sausages referred to as sheep intestines in pursuit of this "DO YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE EATING" pedantry. There's awareness and education, and then there's gotcha-ism.

I want to know if things are safe to eat, but if they can reasonably be assumed to be so, I'm game. If the beaver's anal glands can be manipulated to crank out an acceptable facsimile of vanilla or raspberry, how is that any less natural than trappers, outdoorsy types, and indigenous Native Canadians eating the rest of the beaver?
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:22 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:Let us not conflate "unusual" and "unsafe," unless you want those natural casings on your artisanal sausages referred to as sheep intestines...

I'm in favor of this!
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:37 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:If the beaver's anal glands can be manipulated to crank out an acceptable facsimile of vanilla or raspberry, how is that any less natural than trappers, outdoorsy types, and indigenous Native Canadians eating the rest of the beaver?

And I'm in favor of this, although I'd prefer blueberry flavored.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:41 pm

I'm just proud of myself for not dictating my titters at including "artisanal" and "assumed" in a post about butt.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:08 pm

I wonder where I can get some mock blueberry flavored beaver anus.

(I'm imagining it'd be called "Beyond Beaver Butt".)
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:28 pm

rrnate wrote:(I'm imagining it'd be called "Beyond Beaver Butt".)

Or the "Beaver Beyond Uranus"
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Uncle_Leaver » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:31 pm

Geez, guys, you say "beaver anus" like it's a bad thing.

Well, maybe the implications aren't so hot for the beaver. I'll grant you that.
Uncle_Leaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:33 pm

Uncle_Leaver wrote:Geez, guys, you say "beaver anus" like it's a bad thing.

Well, maybe the implications aren't so hot for the beaver. I'll grant you that.

I'm still trying to figure out why a beaver anus would mock blueberries. It seems so needlessly cruel and out of character.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:34 pm

I've been to wild game feeds and eaten a little bit of everything. (Yes, crow is a tough bird.) Had beaver tail (very fatty), but never beaver anus... although it might have been hidden in one of the stews.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:50 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:I've been to wild game feeds and eaten a little bit of everything. (Yes, crow is a tough bird.) Had beaver tail (very fatty), but never beaver anus... although it might have been hidden in one of the stews.

If there were fruity notes, you know someone got a little liberal with the portions.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Uncle_Leaver » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:56 pm

Homer Simpson: Yo Apu, give me the usual.

Apu: Yes, sir. One Kwik-E-Dog, one bubble gum cigar and the latest issue of Success magazine.

Homer Simpson: Mmmm. Hey, this hot dog tastes different.

Apu: Yes, I just cleaned out the machine sir, so the snack you are enjoying has not been soaking in its putrid grease.

Homer Simpson: Yeah ... but without all the grease all you can taste is the hog anus.
Uncle_Leaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ouroborus4 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:58 pm

Uncle_Leaver wrote:Yep a possible carcinogen ... but only when you inhale it in it's pure powdered form (or, rather, when rats do in "high concentrations").

You know you're right, its just a little bit of cancer, its ok. I'm sure its perfectly safe. go ahead and eat the stuff. Dump some MSG, DDT, BPA, and tobacco smoke on your beaver anus too.

The first link to web MD leads to text with a heading of dipotassium phosphate, but then describes saw palmetto in the text. I figured they were related, but am probably mistaken. Here's a better link describing phosphate salts, the family to which dipotassium phosphate belongs: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/natural/735.html

yes, it has major biological effects, and is used medically. Though dietary forms are likely safe for pregnant women (again not definitely), it can be unsafe for children. You didn't hand me anything, so no need to gift wrap. Instead of critiquing my sources while entirely missing the point and being an ass, why don't you provide a source showing that this stuff is perfectly safe and has no adverse biological effects.

Sno said it very eloquently, that none of this stuff has been proven safe, especially in the long run. There is no requirement or money available to test it or find it safe. The GRAS FDA label is meaningless when you realize what is required to get that label. We're doing a very large chemistry experiment as a society by adding all of these compounds to food when we have no idea what they do. Fat asses like you blindly consume them. Eat pure food.
ouroborus4
Forum Addict

Postby Uncle_Leaver » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:43 am

You're right. A lab rat's inhalation of high concentrations of a substance is identical to a human's oral ingestion of trace amounts. What a scientist you would be. Missed a calling there, Shep.

Happy Holidays, ya friggin' moron. Would love to stay and chat about this but you're talking out of both sides of your ass and I have an intercranial date with an ice pick that should prove quite a bit more thought provoking.
Uncle_Leaver
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Cooking & Food issues