MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, October 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 49.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Do-it-yourself Mediterranean

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Re: Do-it-yourself Mediterranean

Postby john_titor » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:08 pm

pjbogart wrote:I skipped the buttermilk in my cucumber sauce this time, hoping it would a bit firmer, but it's still pretty soupy. Cucumbers are pretty much all water, so I'm not sure how to reduce that other than to mash them and just add the pulp. Also added a little lemon juice to the sauce. The restaurants use straight yogurt, but I really like the flavor of the cucumber in there, and it doubles as an awesome salad dressing.

De-seed the cukes, set aside half to a quarter of the cucumbers and dice the rest. Blend the uncut de-seeded cukes with the yogurt. Remove and finish with the remaining diced. Add in spices and whatnot. Removing seeds and not pulping all the cukes have helped keep my tzatziki tight.
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Xiao Mao » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:33 pm

If organic lemons are on sale or in the discount bin at Willy Street Co-Op, I buy a whole bunch, juice them and freeze it in little containers. That way, I always have some for hummus and baba ganoush.

I still use the recipes I re-wrote when I cooked at this Israeli place years ago in the SW... they are good. Lots of parsley, caramelized onions and tahini. :)
Xiao Mao

Postby Bretley » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:55 pm

pjbogart wrote:Thanks for the tip on the za'tar, fennel, or is that thanks for the tip on the fennel, za'tar? Though the only bag I could find was 16 oz, which is a hell of a lot of spices...My couscous is in giant balls, looks like roe.

Seems you're set on zatar for some time but for others interested, Penzey's sells it in 2oz and 4oz jars. I love it, can't take my hummus without it.

Seconding that it sounds like you have Israeli couscous rather than regular; still good stuff but has a less nutty flavor I feel.
Bretley

Previous

Return to Cooking & Food issues