MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, July 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 65.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Local Chili Competitions & Secret Ingredients

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Re: Local Chili Competitions & Secret Ingredients

Postby shyguy » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:03 pm

Had a recipe that called for brandy - so that was my "secret" ingredient for a while. Not sure it added all that much, seemed to make it kind of sweet. I don't use it all the time now, but still add it now and then.

Lately I've been adding some chipotle chili powder from Penzy's to get a little smoky flavor going. Not a lot, not to be the dominant flavor, but just that hint of smoky. Along with a homemade chili paste with peppers from the garden.

I use ground beef, can of black beans, can of chili beans. Jar of canned tomatoes. Add beer and/or brandy to get the liquid level right. And of course the seasonings.
shyguy

Postby city2countrygal » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:09 pm

Mexican oregano
city2countrygal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Slick Willy » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:13 pm

hellogoodbye wrote:Have you noticed the macaroni pasta in chili that is common in mid & northern WI? It took me a while to get used to it.

I have, and I know they still call that chili, but I really consider it to be goulash.
Slick Willy
Forum Addict

Postby Slick Willy » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:06 am

Stebben84 wrote:A few things I've tried and liked as additive(not always all together):

Beer(dark ale works best)
Hominy
Corn chips(they break down and add nice texture and flavor)
Carrots
Pork, Lamb, and Beef Chili with no beans
Good Penzy's spices(take your pick), and I think this is the key to flavor which to me is what chili is all about.

Carrots? Maybe for soup. I wouldn't use them in chili.
Penzy's spices really are the best. You pay a premium for them, but they really are great!
Beef chili with no beans? :lol: That's like using soup to make soup.
Slick Willy
Forum Addict

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:32 am

Slick Willy wrote:Carrots? Maybe for soup. I wouldn't use them in chili.

I don't use them all the time, but they do add a different texture and a little sweetness.

FWIW, I used this recipe as my starting point for beanless chili.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alto ... index.html

And in terms of using beans, well:

Beans

A bowl of chili con carne and tortilla chips.
Beans, a staple of Tex-Mex cuisine, have been associated with chili as far back as the early 20th century.[5] The question of whether beans "belong" in chili has been a matter of contention among chili cooks for a long time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chili_con_carne

I know it's Wiki, but the word "chili" doesn't mean beans. I'm not knocking the beans, I use them sometimes when I make chili. I just like the variations on a theme.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Slick Willy » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:05 pm

Stebben84 wrote:
Slick Willy wrote:Carrots? Maybe for soup. I wouldn't use them in chili.

I don't use them all the time, but they do add a different texture and a little sweetness.

I guess carrots aren't as far fetched as I thought, because after doing some searching, I've actually seen quite a few recipes that call for pumpkin, and I never would have thought of using that for chili, either, but I guess that it has similar qualities to carrots in enhancing the texture and adding sweetness.
Stebben84 wrote:Pork, Lamb, and Beef Chili with no beans

I wasn't commenting on the bean issue, but rather that you've used a can of beef chili with no beans for your chili, which I found amusing.
Slick Willy
Forum Addict

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:04 pm

Slick Willy wrote:but rather that you've used a can of beef chili with no beans for your chili

Oh hellz no. I meant that I used chunk beef, pork, and lamb all together to make the chili.

The canned chili would have been amusing.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:05 pm

I can see carrots, too, but squash makes more sense. I would go for some really good delicata. It will add density and a mild sweetness.

I'm completely over the meat aspect, but if I were to add some, I wouldn't add anything ground unless I ground it myself. (0% chance.) Brown it separately and let it simmer a long while.

Beans are essential, but I like to make them from scratch, so I know they won't be mushy. (Or, Bob forbid, crunchy.) Make sure your cilantro is plentiful, clean, and finely chopped, and don't add it until the last 20 minutes of the simmer.

Also, a *small* amount of cinnamon.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:56 am

Extra-strong black coffee.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby workboy7 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:29 am

Ground beef.
Onions.
Green peppers.
Garlic.
Dark kidney beans.
Tomato sauce.
Spices.
This is what I consider to be a great chili, and so do the droves of diners that wolf down over three gallons a day. Come to Diggity's (inside of Pooleys Sports Bar) and try it yourself. Also, I would love to host a chili cook off contest here...
workboy7
Forum Addict

Postby Meade » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:42 am

hellogoodbye wrote:Now lets talk Cincinnati chili, where can I get a Five-way: chili, spaghetti, cheese, onions, and beans in Madison?

Madison... ville.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:18 am

Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Slick Willy » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:19 am

I'm considering using cactus in a batch of chili sometime. I've seen it by the tomatillos and avocados at Woodman's. Is cactus slimy like okra?
Slick Willy
Forum Addict

Postby fennel » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:18 am

We're doing our last batch of the season. We deciced to skip the meat but include fish since we had some frozen mahi-mahi scraps from Trailer Joe's that needed to be used. Their pricing has become downright mercenary, so I expect we'll make our next batch with sardines or mackerel. So it goes.

Started with heating fennel seeds in a dry pan, then adding dry rosemary which we let reflect in a bit of olive oil. Then onions that we let sweat per Marvel's instructions, with a heaping mound of chopped garlic.

Then a gallon of tomatoes, cumin, coriander, oregano, basil, cayenne, and a mound of home-cooked kidney beans. The fish will be added last, and we'll adjust with salt and lime juice. (Oh, and a good-size garnet yam, to add some sweetness and density. This is the first time for that.)

Served alongside some good whole rice ... I can't imagine anything will be better.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby NullDevice » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:17 pm

WMSE in milwaukee just had their annual chili cookoff. I didn't go, but I was getting play-by-plays from a friend of mine. He really liked the corned beef chili made by Jake's Deli (which is an awesome deli, btw).

My last batch of homemade chili was augmented with oxtail, which gave it some serious heft and after a few hours of slow-cooking, big beefy chunks of meat. A good stewing cut of meat - brisket, oxtail, even chuck - seems to do lovely things to a pot of chili.
NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Cooking & Food issues