MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Sunday, December 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 18.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Local Chili Competitions & Secret Ingredients

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Re: Local Chili Competitions & Secret Ingredients

Postby Detritus » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:27 pm

Slick Willy wrote:I'm considering using cactus in a batch of chili sometime. I've seen it by the tomatillos and avocados at Woodman's. Is cactus slimy like okra?

Okra isn't slimy if it's cooked properly. Start with the smallest ones you can find, cut the caps off but do not cut them any more, and stop cooking them when they're al dente, rather than waiting until they disintegrate into a paste. In other words, treat them like you would treat a vegetable you eat crunchy and you will be rewarded with slime-free flavor.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2542
Joined: Wed May 13, 2009 9:42 pm

Re: Local Chili Competitions & Secret Ingredients

Postby Mad Howler » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:57 pm

Epazote

I use it all the time with black beans, retried beans, drunken beans, etc. - but I have never tipped it into a pot of chili because I didn't think it would play well with the other flavors.

Has anyone tried?
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1464
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:36 pm

Re: Local Chili Competitions & Secret Ingredients

Postby Slick Willy » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:08 am

Mad Howler wrote:Epazote

I use it all the time with black beans, retried beans, drunken beans, etc. - but I have never tipped it into a pot of chili because I didn't think it would play well with the other flavors.

Has anyone tried?

Sounds like a good idea. I think it would work great in chili made with beans, myself. I've just been using Mexican oregano, but I might have to try epizote. What I'll probably do is make some beans with epazote first before adding it to the chili. I appreciate the suggestion.
Slick Willy
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 370
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:54 am
Location: Madison, WI (Allied-Dunn's Marsh Neighborhood)

Re: Local Chili Competitions & Secret Ingredients

Postby Slick Willy » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:38 am

Mad Howler wrote:Epazote

I use it all the time with black beans, retried beans, drunken beans, etc. - but I have never tipped it into a pot of chili because I didn't think it would play well with the other flavors.

Has anyone tried?

Where do you buy your epazote, by the way? Can you find it anywhere besides Penzy's?
Slick Willy
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 370
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:54 am
Location: Madison, WI (Allied-Dunn's Marsh Neighborhood)

Re: Local Chili Competitions & Secret Ingredients

Postby Mad Howler » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:02 pm

Yep, you can find it dried at Penzy's. I buy it in the bag as I seem to need to tip in quite a bit to get the desired effect. I am told that is even better fresh, but I haven't found it fresh or been successful at growing it.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1464
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:36 pm

Re: Local Chili Competitions & Secret Ingredients

Postby Remember_Me » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:47 am

Fuck you all.

Well, no, not really.

Would you ever cook up, freeze, then sell a gallon or three of your recipes... say, monthly?

Seriously?
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1204
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:07 pm
Location: About town.

Re: Local Chili Competitions & Secret Ingredients

Postby Remember_Me » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:56 am

Good chili's such a pain in the ass and so labor intensive... yet... I love it so... I gave up on the diy route just recently and was lamenting that fact to a friend just a few days ago...

I'm not kidding forons... I would pay good $ at a premium for a steady supply of good, local, as-you-describe-in-some-of-your-recipes-here mother-fu**ing HOT chil-ayyy....

And I mean HOT....

Seriously... if you cook it and put it in those good thick ziplock freezer bags... I'll make it worth your while.

I'm not fucking around... I'll entertain ludicrous offers... try me...
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1204
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:07 pm
Location: About town.

Re: Local Chili Competitions & Secret Ingredients

Postby Ducatista » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:04 am

Canned chipotles in adobo sauce. I use 4 or 5 per batch, plus a dollop of sauce.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 4356
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2004 12:31 pm
Location: 53703

Re: Local Chili Competitions & Secret Ingredients

Postby Slick Willy » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:43 am

Ducatista wrote:Canned chipotles in adobo sauce. I use 4 or 5 per batch, plus a dollop of sauce.

I use those, too, and they're the perfect complement to chili. Instead of buying the regular size can and separating them out like you do, though, Woodman's sells smaller cans with about four or five chipotle peppers already in each can. You should check it out. One small can is the perfect size for a batch of chili. Also, I dump the can with the adobo sauce into a blender and blend it with chicken stock. Granted, I have to rinse the blender out with more chicken stock after pouring it out to get the rest of those chipotle bits, but it's worth it. Some people prefer beef stock, but I think chicken is better, as I think it adds an extra dimension of flavor instead of hitting on the same note.
Slick Willy
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 370
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:54 am
Location: Madison, WI (Allied-Dunn's Marsh Neighborhood)

Re: Local Chili Competitions & Secret Ingredients

Postby Slick Willy » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:28 pm

Remember_Me wrote:Good chili's such a pain in the ass and so labor intensive... yet... I love it so... I gave up on the diy route just recently and was lamenting that fact to a friend just a few days ago...

I'm not kidding forons... I would pay good $ at a premium for a steady supply of good, local, as-you-describe-in-some-of-your-recipes-here mother-fu**ing HOT chil-ayyy....

And I mean HOT....

Seriously... if you cook it and put it in those good thick ziplock freezer bags... I'll make it worth your while.

I'm not fucking around... I'll entertain ludicrous offers... try me...


If you're serious, I'd charge $35 a gallon.
Slick Willy
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 370
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:54 am
Location: Madison, WI (Allied-Dunn's Marsh Neighborhood)

Re: Local Chili Competitions & Secret Ingredients

Postby Remember_Me » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:26 pm

Slick Willy wrote:
Remember_Me wrote:Good chili's such a pain in the ass and so labor intensive... yet... I love it so... I gave up on the diy route just recently and was lamenting that fact to a friend just a few days ago...

I'm not kidding forons... I would pay good $ at a premium for a steady supply of good, local, as-you-describe-in-some-of-your-recipes-here mother-fu**ing HOT chil-ayyy....

And I mean HOT....

Seriously... if you cook it and put it in those good thick ziplock freezer bags... I'll make it worth your while.

I'm not fucking around... I'll entertain ludicrous offers... try me...


If you're serious, I'd charge $35 a gallon.


I said I was serious.

$25 a gallon. 2-3 gallons a month minimum. Not exactly sure how much the two of us would kill. But we've gone through gallon bags over the course of a few days before when we make it. I need more home-cooked, high protein/fiber, SPICY, heat and serve food options. I'm a serious heat freak. I'd also want variety. So many recipes here sound good.

OH! I also want bison chili. Which is pricey I know, so I'd pay for that. We can figure all that out as we go. Again, I'll make it worth your while.

What side of town are you on?
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1204
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:07 pm
Location: About town.

Re: Local Chili Competitions & Secret Ingredients

Postby Slick Willy » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:44 pm

Remember_Me wrote:
Slick Willy wrote:
Remember_Me wrote:Good chili's such a pain in the ass and so labor intensive... yet... I love it so... I gave up on the diy route just recently and was lamenting that fact to a friend just a few days ago...

I'm not kidding forons... I would pay good $ at a premium for a steady supply of good, local, as-you-describe-in-some-of-your-recipes-here mother-fu**ing HOT chil-ayyy....

And I mean HOT....

Seriously... if you cook it and put it in those good thick ziplock freezer bags... I'll make it worth your while.

I'm not fucking around... I'll entertain ludicrous offers... try me...


If you're serious, I'd charge $35 a gallon.


I said I was serious.

$25 a gallon. 2-3 gallons a month minimum. Not exactly sure how much the two of us would kill. But we've gone through gallon bags over the course of a few days before when we make it. I need more home-cooked, high protein/fiber, SPICY, heat and serve food options. I'm a serious heat freak. I'd also want variety. So many recipes here sound good.

OH! I also want bison chili. Which is pricey I know, so I'd pay for that. We can figure all that out as we go. Again, I'll make it worth your while.

What side of town are you on?

Here's the deal. If I'm providing the ingredients and bags, I won't do it for any less than $35/gallon. Sorry, just not worth my time, otherwise. You wouldn't be disappointed in the product, but if you want to find a better deal somewhere else, that's OK. I don't do bland, soupy chili, and I don't skimp on quality, either. It has great flavor, texture and color. I use ground sirloin, and it's a spicy red chili that's thick and has beans.

I'm on the East Side.
Slick Willy
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 370
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:54 am
Location: Madison, WI (Allied-Dunn's Marsh Neighborhood)

Re: Local Chili Competitions & Secret Ingredients

Postby Remember_Me » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:29 pm

Do you have any made now? A taste would be good.

If not, I'd do a single bag now for $35... just so I'm sure we're on the same page. Then yeah, $35/ea with 2-3 gallons a month, depending on just how hearty it is (c'mon, I had to take a shot with the $25). You do onions, celery, any other veggies?

Also, I'm serious about the heat. What you think is hot, I promise, I will not. Heat is a big priority. It has to be part of the sauce too... not just added peppers. Each bite must be hot if I miss any added peppers.

I have a heat problem. When other people are dying from it I'm asking why wasn't any added. Your average cayenne-based hot sauces that you find everywhere may as well be water to me. Again, I can't stress the heat factor enough. So how do we do this?

Oh look at that, you actually have your location listed in the location field. I'm blind. Wow, Facebook too I see. And a black woman to boot! I didn't think those existed here!

I guess I saw "Slick Willy" and just had an idea of a pasty, middle-aged, white dude in my head. Damn you Clinton!

So I don't do FB. Could I just meet up with you at your Wal-Mart? I need to go anyway. Or an email addy, since I don't see where I can message you through here. I feel like this convo should continue outside of here at this point.

Let me know.
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1204
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:07 pm
Location: About town.

Re: Local Chili Competitions & Secret Ingredients

Postby Slick Willy » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:55 am

Remember_Me wrote:Do you have any made now? A taste would be good.

If not, I'd do a single bag now for $35... just so I'm sure we're on the same page. Then yeah, $35/ea with 2-3 gallons a month, depending on just how hearty it is (c'mon, I had to take a shot with the $25). You do onions, celery, any other veggies?

Also, I'm serious about the heat. What you think is hot, I promise, I will not. Heat is a big priority. It has to be part of the sauce too... not just added peppers. Each bite must be hot if I miss any added peppers.

I have a heat problem. When other people are dying from it I'm asking why wasn't any added. Your average cayenne-based hot sauces that you find everywhere may as well be water to me. Again, I can't stress the heat factor enough. So how do we do this?

Oh look at that, you actually have your location listed in the location field. I'm blind. Wow, Facebook too I see. And a black woman to boot! I didn't think those existed here!

I guess I saw "Slick Willy" and just had an idea of a pasty, middle-aged, white dude in my head. Damn you Clinton!

So I don't do FB. Could I just meet up with you at your Wal-Mart? I need to go anyway. Or an email addy, since I don't see where I can message you through here. I feel like this convo should continue outside of here at this point.

Let me know.

Of course I use onions, but not celery. I do use celery salt, though. Also fire roasted diced tomatoes with green chilies, small red beans, corn flour to thicken, tomato sauce, chicken stock and an array of seasonings (cumin, coriander, oregano, garlic, chili powder, Worcestershire). If you want really hot, I can do that. I usually just use chipotles in adobo sauce, but I can definitely amp it up a bit. I don't use mushrooms, zucchini, eggplant or anything like that as I like to keep it pretty traditional. I think the flavor profile that I use is excellent, though, and is what most people want when they think of good chili.
Slick Willy
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 370
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:54 am
Location: Madison, WI (Allied-Dunn's Marsh Neighborhood)

Re: Local Chili Competitions & Secret Ingredients

Postby Remember_Me » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:16 am

Good grief lady.

You got your full address, DOB, and both work and cell #'s listed on your FB.

I'm not sure if you're supposed to do that if you're not a business.

In fact, I don't think I've ever seen anyone do that before.

Anyway, you didn't answer a few things. How do we move forward?

Again, I'd like to navigate this convo away from here at this point.

Got an email I'm missing... text you... what?
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1204
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:07 pm
Location: About town.

PreviousNext

Return to Cooking & Food issues

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

moviesmusiceats
Select a Movie
Select a Theater


commentsViewedForum
  ISTHMUS FLICKR
Created with flickr badge.

Promotions Contact us Privacy Policy Jobs Newsletters RSS
Collapse Photo Bar