MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, November 27, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 11.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Jicama & Celeriac

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Jicama & Celeriac

Postby Vin » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:06 pm

Anybody know where to find these 2 items in Madison?
Newly low-carb here, and looking for a replacement
for my spuds.
Vin

Re: Jicama & Celeriac

Postby Mean Scenester » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:53 pm

I've only ever gotten celeriac through my CSA and it typically winds up stewed in some soup with a bunch of other stuff I either don't know what to do with or need to get rid of. I'd imagine you might find it at Willy Street though.

For jicama, I'm thinking your best bet would be one of the Latino or Asian groceries. Try Super Tienda Latina on Monona Drive or Midway Asian on Park.

Also, cauliflower makes for a nice mashed spud substitute. Just sayin'.
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:04 pm

Celeriac is pretty omnipresent in major groceries (Copps, Metcalfe's Sentry, Whole Foods, probably Hy-Vee and the Co-op). That's not to say it always looks great, but trim enough exterior off and there's always at least a little useable root. I recommend Alton Brown's discussion of celery root on Good Eats, if you can find it online or as a rerun, as well as the recipes that are available on Food Network's site.

Jicama is harder to find, or at least is less prominently shelved. I can't recall seeing it anywhere specifically, but Whole Foods, Metcalfe's, and the Co-op seem like good Anglo bets. Asian and Latin groceries are a good call, too.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:21 pm

Coop stocks both on a regular basis east side, and I assume west side too.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Steve Vokers » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:51 pm

I've bought celeriac at Woodman's. Haven't looked for jicama lately.
Steve Vokers
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:55 pm

Another option is the sunchoke(Jerusalem artichoke), which you should be able to find at Whole Foods. I love the taste of these, but, if you're similarly affected, they're more musical than beans.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Vin » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:10 am

Thanks for the replies, guys. I did find Jimaca at Copp's Fitchburg. It's OK raw, but does not get soft at all when cooked. I did see a root like veggie right next to it that was not labeled, but don't think it was celeriac, it was long and narrow, not bulbous.
I do realize Cauliflauer is the go-to as a spud replacent, but to me, it just tastes like cooked caulifauer.
Vin

Postby eriedasch » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:28 pm

You might consider turnips, squash, and/or rutabagas. They get soft when cooked like a potato. We often bake a mixture with onions, garlic, and olive oil. Just as good as potato IMO.

I tried making a dish with Jicama and did not really like the texture either.
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:35 pm

Vin wrote: I did see a root like veggie right next to it that was not labeled, but don't think it was celeriac, it was long and narrow, not bulbous.

Parsnip?
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby chance » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:57 pm

O.J. wrote:
Vin wrote: I did see a root like veggie right next to it that was not labeled, but don't think it was celeriac, it was long and narrow, not bulbous.
Parsnip?

If next to jicama, more likely to be cassava (which sometimes gets mislabeled in stores as "yucca root", which it's not)
chance
Forum Addict

Postby snoqueen » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:13 pm

I did see a root like veggie right next to it that was not labeled, but don't think it was celeriac, it was long and narrow, not bulbous.

Maybe it was daikon. They're smooth and whitish and carrot-shaped and are sometimes so large the store cuts them in sections to sell. Daikon are delicious grated raw, with or without an equal amount of grated raw carrot, and dressed with lime juice and sesame oil, and are also good as an ingredient in kim chee.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:41 pm

Try some of the various sweet potatoes. They warrant a little acid – lime juice, say. Never add sweeteners. Hella good for you, from what I understand.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby shyguy » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:12 pm

I know I've seen jicama at the east side Hy Vee, and am guessing they have celeriac too.
shyguy

Postby fennel » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:53 pm

I worked with a chef who was experimenting with a jicama pie. His version was a kind of savory pastry appetizer.

Anyway, this stanza (or parts thereof) became a common refrain around the kitchen:
Jicama, Jicama, Jicama Pie.
A fly can't bird, but a bird can fly.
Ask me a riddle and I reply:
Jicama, Jicama, Jicama pie.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Vin » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:42 pm

Hy-Vee does have celery root, I picked up 2, thought they would be bigger. Haven't tried them yet.
I do like the Jicama though, kinda carrot-like when eaten raw. I read somewhere that if you freeze it first, then it will get soft when cooked. I'll have to try that.
Vin

Return to Cooking & Food issues