MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, November 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 13.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

High V

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

High V

Postby Crabtree » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:36 pm

Stopped in to the slick new grocery/restaurant/to-go bar at Westgate (site of the former Kroger store for those that long in the tooth). Salad bar was impressive with a $4.99 per lb price tag on the to-go side and a $5.99 all you can eat deal with real plates but plastic utensils. Figuring they TARE out the plate like at the Co-Op, I half-filled a large plate with some kale salad. Wandering towards the first helpful employee-type person I spotted, I was directed thru the sliding doors to the sit-down restaurant. "The waitstaff will take care of that for you". Great, I'm starving. Indeed, a waitstaff-type person told me it would be $2.99 and would I like anything to drink?. Nope, I'll just eat. A second, less perky waitstaff person also asked if I wanted anything to drink and I still declined, stating I would just eat. He rang up my plate and dropped a ticket for $5.99.

Uhm. I think I want to get it from the nice lady who talked to me first with her $2.99 price tag.

He drifted off, returning with a not-quite firm "it is $5.99 cuz you got the big plate". Well, no, I got about 6 ounces of Kale here and that isn't "All I Can Eat" nor does it even come close to the full pound that the sign says I can get for $4.99 if I don't sully a plate.

Still no.

Dropped (6) $1 bills on the table and left with a sour taste in my mouth. Prolly stick with the Co-Op in the future what with their chipping and all.
Crabtree

Re: High V

Postby green union terrace chair » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:18 am

Should have taken the plate back to the salad bar, dumped it in the to-go box and tried again. Don't let some clerk circumvent the prices clearly on offer with some secret rules.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Cooking & Food issues