MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Wednesday, August 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 76.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Do You Eat Organic?

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Re: Do You Eat Organic?

Postby Dangerousman » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:26 am

Detritus wrote:What about huge, radioactive asteroids talking on their cell phones?

I think the bigger problem occurs when they are texting.
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:47 am

Detritus wrote:....A big focus of organic food is to build healthy soil and keep the groundwater clean--in fact, if you read the earliest proponents of organic farming (including Dane County's very own Jerry Minnich), you'll see that protecting the soil and water (and the ecosystem in general) was the primary goal. It is only over time, as organic has itself become commercialized, that the focus has shifted to the consumer.

The original goal of organic farming was to prevent "mining the soil," but it was also to reduce costly and unnatural inputs by using more natural ways to control pests and weeds. Since farmers do eat some of their own food right out of the field, some started worrying more about killing their own families with pesticides. Concerns about pesticides were there from the start, partly because the federal government didn't start regulating pesticides until later.
Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:57 am

Another impetus behind the move to organic was dangers faced by farm workers, especially migrants with few job protections.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:13 am

Dangerousman wrote:You are correct, it is not a noble gas. But it is one of the noble metals.

I would like you to reconsider that point deduction, please.

Noble metals, huh. Learn something new every day. Point restored. I would prefer there to be no antimony between us.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:00 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:
Dangerousman wrote:You are correct, it is not a noble gas. But it is one of the noble metals.

I would like you to reconsider that point deduction, please.

Noble metals, huh. Learn something new every day. Point restored. I would prefer there to be no antimony between us.

I'm glad we could iron it out. :wink:
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:20 pm

That's gold (or should I say, Mr. Gold?)
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Athena » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:06 pm

I prefer local, then look for organic. I'm actually pro-GMO as several genetic modifications are there to reduce pesticide use. I believe that less pesticides and natural fertilization are important for the environment. I'll put up with pesticides on my local apples since it is very difficult to grow apples organically.
Athena
Forum Addict

Postby Beaver » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:03 pm

Yes, Organic Can Cost More. Here Are 10 Reasons Why It’s Worth It
http://www.mariasfarmcountrykitchen.com ... -worth-it/

Organic farmers get no government subsidies or handouts.

You will automatically become an environmentalist without having to make a donation or show up for a protest.

You will be healthier.

You can feel good about your contribution to a better world.

You are supporting families and businesses that are making the world better.

You will be helping to prevent climate change.

You will be helping to prevent droughts and floods.

You will be doing your part to leave the world a better place than you found it.

Karma Points: When you pay more for good things, other people can afford to pay you more.

And lastly, it just tastes better.
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:07 pm

Athena wrote:I prefer local, then look for organic. I'm actually pro-GMO as several genetic modifications are there to reduce pesticide use. I believe that less pesticides and natural fertilization are important for the environment. I'll put up with pesticides on my local apples since it is very difficult to grow apples organically.

http://diet-sage.com/health-news/7-food ... s-wont-eat
The Organic-Foods Expert Won’t Eat: Conventional Apples

"The problem: If fall fruits held a “most doused in pesticides contest,” apples would win. Why? They are individually grafted (descended from a single tree) so that each variety maintains its distinctive flavor. As such, apples don’t develop resistance to pests and are sprayed frequently. The industry maintains that these residues are not harmful. But Kastel counters that it’s just common sense to minimize exposure by avoiding the most doused produce, like apples. “Farm workers have higher rates of many cancers,” he says. And increasing numbers of studies are starting to link a higher body burden of pesticides (from all sources) with Parkinson’s disease."
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:22 pm

http://www.citizens.org/
I've been on Citizens for Health email list for many years.

They got me in touch with Institute for Responsible Technology.
http://www.responsibletechnology.org/

I spent part of yesterday watching:
Genetic Roulette - The Gamble of Our Lives
It's available on YouTube.

GMO Labeling: Good Policy or Blind Hysteria?
http://magicvalley.com/business/agricul ... 2a3fb.html

I think I'm going to be more careful about what I buy.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:31 pm

From Scientific American's "Food Matters" blog:

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/foo ... s-like-me/

I’m a granola (and dirt)-eating, tree-hugging, liberal/progressive. If I was called by a pollster asking about the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare), I’d be counted among the folks that disapprove, but only because I think it doesn’t go far enough (I’m for single-payer, but I could have settled for the public option). I think we should tax the rich at much higher rates, expand social safety nets and reign in corporations. I support local farmers and shop at Whole Foods.

All that said, to me, science matters more than ideology. I wanted to join the Occupy Wall Street protesters, but I had experiments to do. And when it comes to genetically modified organisms in our food supply, I take the position that the National Academies, the American Association for the Advancement of Science, the American Medical Association, the European Commission, and the Royal Society take, namely that GMOs are safe for consumption.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:49 pm

Wait. They have not been shown to be NOT safe, which isn't the same thing at all. Many agricultural chemicals haven't been tested on people long-term at all, and the EU, which is not composed of extremists, strictly regulates GMO foods. This is not settled science, if such a thing exists.

Here's more info on the EU's regulations:
http://ec.europa.eu/food/food/biotechno ... dex_en.htm

They're studying this crop by crop and all the way up and down both the food and supply chains, which is the only way to make credible regulations.

In the US, environmental effects of both GMO crops and many pesticides are unclear. There is credible science showing nicotinoid pesticides are related to honeybee colony collapse, for instance. That's not trivial.

I think it would be better to err on the side of caution, and if we can't do so on a large scale due to industry's influence, it's still meaningful for an individual to support pesticide-minimizing farming on a smaller or local scale.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:57 pm

I eat mostly organic or foods raised sustainably. It's a bit easier when you can grow your own food or can trade with other farmers. The WS-Coop still gets a fair share of my grocery dollars.

One of my main reasons to stay away from GMOs is that you can't save your seed to replant the next year. Why? Because the agribusiness such as Monsanto want more $$. Also there is no guarantee that you will get a better harvest or save $. Even if you can use less pesticide you many need more fertilizer. I do not think it's a good idea to have the big ag businesses in control of our farming needs.

I don't want to poison anybody, especially myself, so I choose not to use pesticides or herbicides. My fertilizer is made in the barn.
Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:05 pm

I thought the YouTube video was fascinating. One farmer talked about his livestock becoming ill on GMO feed. When he stopped the GMO feed they got better. Another farmer gave his chickens a choice of GMO corn or non-GMO corn. The chickens chose the non-GMO corn every time, even when the feeders got moved! I was impressed by the mother, whose son had ADHD. The son's symptoms improved markedly by switching to non-GMO food. It's hard for me not to wonder about scientists and professors being persecuted for voicing their concerns because of large corporations.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:42 pm

snoqueen wrote:Wait. They have not been shown to be NOT safe, which isn't the same thing at all. Many agricultural chemicals haven't been tested on people long-term at all, and the EU, which is not composed of extremists, strictly regulates GMO foods. This is not settled science, if such a thing exists.

Many European countries could be argued to have a financial interest in suppressing agricultural innovation due to controlled place-name appellations. If you want to see an extremist, tell a Frenchman about your favorite Italian champagne.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Cooking & Food issues