MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, December 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 26.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Ben MF Reiser @ Mother BR Fools 6/30

Got a gig coming up? A CD coming out? A new bass player who looks like Jesus and smells like a field of posies? If you're selling or promoting something, post it here.

Ben MF Reiser @ Mother BR Fools 6/30

Postby depinmad » Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:53 pm

Sat, Jun 30
8:00 PM
Dave Martin,
Ben Reiser and
Jesse Banks

Singer/songwriter Dave Martin is a college graduate and vocational drop-out. Upon completion of a journalism degree from the University of Iowa Martin rifled through a series of real jobs...In February he released his debut record, "Bottom 80." He has been touring behind the album since. Martin's influences include James Taylor, (he started playing guitar after meeting Taylor at a concert when he was five) Jeff Tweedy, Tom Waits and Greg Brown.

His "roots pop" is similar in style to Mason Jennings and Josh Rouse.

Ben Reiser's first band was called illegal outpost, he was 12 years old, his sister was 10. He didn't want her in the band but she had the casio keyboard. their signature tunes were "subway shuffle", "haunted stereo"and a cover of the stones classic "can't always get what you want". Ben's second band was called Traci Lords Ex Lovers, they played CBGBs, The Pyramid Club, and Ben's parents living room. their signature tunes were "I want sex tonight", "ma, I gotta make a phone call" and a cover of the Billy Joel classic, "sometimes a fantasy". Ben's third band was called All About Chad. Chad played bass. Ben's mom booked a two week tour of the midwest, after which the drummer and guitarist quit. their signature tunes were "Chad's got an earring" "Chad's driving me home", and a cover of Linda Ronstadt's classic "how do I make you". Ben's last band was called Swim Team. Dr Steve rocked a dan electro and Gail rocked a cow bell. they played Dr Steve's living room and Mark's garage. signature tunes included "meet me in the hallway", "quick thaw", and a cover of the Knack classic "maybe tonight".
Ben may not have any band mates with him at Mother Fools, and he may not play any of these signature tunes, but rest assured, he will give you a little something something to remember.

Jesse Banks, a young and up & coming guitarist from the near east side of Madison, plays mostly original folk-rock with some blues/jazz influences. His songwriting is soulful and poetic, his guitar playing rhythm-based with complex lead segments. Over the past year, Jesse has played at neighborhood festivals, coffee shops, on State Street and recently released his first self-titled CD.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:03 pm

i haven't signed with a label, i don't believe in labels.

i'm not leaving town, i don't believe in other towns.

but i suppose this could be my last show, i don't believe in planning ahead.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jhain » Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:49 pm

depinmad wrote:i haven't signed with a label, i don't believe in labels.

i'm not leaving town, i don't believe in other towns.

but i suppose this could be my last show, i don't believe in planning ahead.

Stop being such a prima donna, Ben. There are other towns.
jhain
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:48 pm

for those of you worried about forsaking rhythm and booms to see this show, i will bring some m80's with me, well add a little kick the cappucino.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:49 am

my daughter's gonna sing a song with me. she's six. it should rock.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jammybastard » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:03 am

depinmad wrote:my daughter's gonna sing a song with me. she's six. it should rock.

That's funny you say that because I had originally planned to have my 5 yr.old daughter sing a song we wrote together. Have great show, I'm sorry I couldn't do it.
jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:30 am

That's funny, because I've been writing and performing with five year olds for years.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:24 pm

awww jammy! it would have been awesome with both kids. sucks big time you couldn't do it. we'll have to try again maybe in the fall...
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:47 am

ok, i've got ten copies of the unreleased swim team cd. it's a masterpiece of some magnitude.
i'll be handing them out to whoever shows up. that's how i do.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jhain » Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:30 pm

depinmad wrote:ok, i've got ten copies of the unreleased swim team cd. it's a masterpiece of some magnitude.
i'll be handing them out to whoever shows up. that's how i do.

ben, meet me in the hallway.
jhain
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:31 pm

this show features the original cast and d.i.y. charm.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:15 pm

this show will not be strong on rhythm or booms. (i think mother fools has straight mic stands).
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Hype Exchange