MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, October 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 40.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

On the streets tomorrow.....a new paper!

Got a gig coming up? A CD coming out? A new bass player who looks like Jesus and smells like a field of posies? If you're selling or promoting something, post it here.

Does Madison need another newspaper?

Yes
67%
No
17%
Who cares?
17%

Total votes : 24

Re: On the streets tomorrow.....a new paper!

Postby blunt » Sat Feb 21, 2004 3:57 pm

cattyr wrote:
minicat wrote:We are still looking for writers ...

blunt are you listening?

Yes, I was listening.
I immediately wrote minicat at the address provided and asked for more info.
I was ignored!

Unless some horrible accident has befallen minicat.
I stumbled from my home, weeping, once again rejected by society, and stumbled across a copy of The Wisconsinite.
My first thought: how could they do it without me?
Second thought: badly.
They could really use an art director.
The whole paper is done in exactly the same font, body and headings.
Actually, it looks like an old copy of The Insurgent with movie reviews added.
(Again: I write, edit, and am a graphic design geek.....hello?)

The majority of articles lean left (so do I, but let's not fall over...) and really aren't all that earth- or mind-shattering.
Ben Granby's front line report on Baghdad was droll and fascinating.
Someone named Charles Schick wrote an intelligent bit on Wisconsin's Progressive tradition but leaves an email address as shick@wisconsinite.net.
(So waddup? Is that your schtick, Chuck_Schick? And if so is the byline or email misspelled?)

Panel cartoons by InfiniteJest.org (Just like the Onion. Only bitter.) are amusing and look exactly like Tom Tomorrow's stuff.
I like the style of Mall Goths cartoon.

They are still trying to find their voice.
It's not quite good enough to read in the bathroom yet.
I'd be glad to help, but they continue to ignore my query.
Maybe they're just badly hurt in a freak newspaper accident and they're unable to email me back.
That's probably it.
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Mon Feb 23, 2004 9:35 am

Actually, Blunt, I emailed you back immediately. And follwed up a couple days later when I didn't hear from you ... I thought you were ignoring me. Obviously, you didn't get the emails (much like my emails to you trying to set up shows in the past ... or were you just ignoring me???)

If you're still interested, send me another email to bkoch@wisconsinite.net, and I'll respond from a different address and see if it gets through this time. We have had trouble with some servers blocking our email.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Darthcrank » Mon Feb 23, 2004 9:44 am

jjoyce wrote:I haven't spoken with any of the Wisconsinite staff, but I doubt their goal is to cut into Isthmus' readership (despite early boasts that it will "gut" Isthmus). If the first issue is any indication, it's a completely different animal that, should it succeed, will simply be added to area readers' collection of weekly pickups, not replace it.

Good luck, Wisconsinite. You're starting a publication in a crowded market during some tight times.

My initial thought is this: In an era of instant info and declining sub numbers for most "traditional" papers, what chance does a bi-weekly have? Talk about old news....

But don't listen to nay sayers, we suck.
Darthcrank
Forum God/Goddess

Re: On the streets tomorrow.....a new paper!

Postby Chuck_Schick » Mon Feb 23, 2004 9:56 am

blunt wrote:Someone named Charles Schick wrote an intelligent bit on Wisconsin's Progressive tradition but leaves an email address as shick@wisconsinite.net.

Intelligent? Hmmm ... couldn't have been me then, could it?

(So waddup? Is that your schtick, Chuck_Schick? And if so is the byline or email misspelled?)

Well, there goes my clever plan to throw the foron dogs off my trail, eh? Actually it's my editor's fault, as is everything else past, present and future that you find to dislike about my column. The name Charles Shick was concocted to distinguish the stuff I've actually put some effort into from the sort of digital literary reverse peristalsis I practice on these pages. So the email (and masthead, actually) is correct. Byline bad. The mistake would simply indicate that someone has been spending too much time on the DPF, and for a change it isn't me ...

Glad you liked the piece. Don't hesitate to email a little inspiration my way, eh? I've got a bi-weekly deadline to contend with here.

Oh, and if you and Minicat don't connect, I'll drag you to the next staff meeting myself.
Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Mon Feb 23, 2004 1:40 pm

Okay.
My plan to shame them into contacting me by placing the word ignore in a really big font has almost worked.
Someone has talked to my people.
Hopefully a power lunch will be involved because I'm hungry.
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby cattyr » Mon Feb 23, 2004 2:13 pm

There's something about "blunt" and "staff meeting" that doesn't quite go together, just can't put my finger on it.

minicat, it will be on your head if we don't see some rhapsodies soon!
cattyr
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Mon Feb 23, 2004 3:04 pm

cattyr wrote:There's something about "blunt" and "staff meeting" that doesn't quite go together, just can't put my finger on it.

minicat, it will be on your head if we don't see some rhapsodies soon!

Don't you mean the Rapture?

Can't everyone stay off my head today? it's stuffed up with goo and hurts!
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Chuck_Schick » Mon Feb 23, 2004 3:08 pm

minicat wrote:Can't everyone stay off my head today? it's stuffed up with goo and hurts!

Quitcher whining and get editing there, Paper Boy ...
Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby cattyr » Mon Feb 23, 2004 3:20 pm

minicat wrote:Don't you mean the Rapture?

My duh. Didn't mean to hurt your head darlin.
cattyr
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Hype Exchange