MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, September 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 62.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

STNNNG/The Gary/Martha's Vineyard Ferries/Wereworm-4/24-HNS

Got a gig coming up? A CD coming out? A new bass player who looks like Jesus and smells like a field of posies? If you're selling or promoting something, post it here.

STNNNG/The Gary/Martha's Vineyard Ferries/Wereworm-4/24-HNS

Postby The Diode » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:08 am

STNNNG
The Gary
Martha's Vineyard Ferries
(featuring Bob Weston - Shellac of North America/Chris Brokaw - The New Year)
Wereworm

Museum Ursa & High Noon Saloon present:

STNNNG (Minneapolis, Minnesota)
The Gary (Austin, Texas)
Martha's Vineyard Ferries (Martha's Vineyard, Massachusetts)
Wereworm (Milwaukee, Wisconsin)

Sunday, April 24.
8:00 p.m.

18+ - $9.00 21+ - $7.00

Under 21 will receive coupon good
for $2.00 off any band merchandise.

High Noon Saloon
701 E. Washington Ave.
Madison, Wisconsin

-Roger Ewalt
Curator
Museum Ursa

STNNNG

Formed in early 2002 with the first lineup of Chris, Nate, Jeremy and Adam. They started playing on April 5, 2003, at Big V's in St. Paul, MN, opening for Sicbay, Cheer-Accident, and Oh,Beast!. The first live performance consisted of 5 songs and clocked in under 12 minutes.

In November 2003, they recorded for the first time with David Storberg (Signal To Trust/Misfires) at IPR in Minneapolis. Four tracks were recorded: An Idiot for Tits, How to Avoid an Assassination, I felt it; for an instant, I knew what it was...and then it was vanished, and We Keep it Dark. The latter two songs found their way onto the reverse side of a split 7" with Ohio's The Means (released by Nodak Records out of Chicago), while the former two enjoyed brief airplay on local radio station, Radio K, after the band submitted all four songs as a demo package. This demo was nominated for "Best Punk Recording" by the Minnesota Music Academy in 2004.

July 2004 found the band back in the studio, this time in Chicago at Mike Lust's "Phantom Manor". The three day session resulted in STNNNG's first full-length release, Dignified Sissy. Modern Radio released the CD while the band put out the LP themselves. STNNNG integrated a bass player, Jesse Kwakenat, into the band in January 2005. Dignified Sissy was released in April 2005.

The followup album to “Dignified Sissy” was recorded, again with Mike Lust in two sessions, September, 2005 and May, 2006. The 2nd full length album, Fake Fake was released by Modern Radio on CD and vinyl in November, 2006. STNNNG toured the East coast in the Fall of 2006 and continue to circle the Middle West.

STNNNG has finished recording their 3rd full-length album slated to come out in October, 2010. The album is called The Smoke of My Will and will be released on vinyl by Modern Radio. The album was recorded in a number of different places between 2008-2010 including STNNNG's practice space, Old Blackberry Way in Minneapolis and Flatblack Studios in Iowa City.

In the Fall of 2009, Ben Ivascu (Signal To Trust, Private Dancer, Building Better Bombs, P.O.S., etc.) joined STNNNG as their new drummer.

Members:
Chris Besinger - Vocals
Nathan Nelson - Guitar
Adam Burt - Guitar
Jesse Kwakenat - Bass
Ben Ivascu - Drums
J. Michael Ward - Drums (2005-Fall 2009)

Discography:
1. split with The Means (Chicago) - 7" (Nodak Records, April 2004)
2. Dignified Sissy - CD (Modern Radio) LP (self-released) April 2005
3. Fake Fake - CD/LP (Modern Radio, November 2006)
4. split with Signal To Trust - 7" (Modern Radio, November 2007)
5. The Smoke of My Will - LP (Modern Radio, October 2010)

http://www.myspace.com/stnnng
http://www.modern-radio.com

The Gary

Critical shorthand for the Gary is easy: they’re three middle-aged working-class beer-loving family men doing their own take on the indie-rock bands that they love most. Their website even names some of them: Guided by Voices, Mission of Burma, Pavement, Silkworm and Smog. If you love these bands but haven’t heard the Gary yet, thank me in advance for giving you a new favorite band. They’ve only been together for a few years, but they’re already as good as their heroes: their live shows are riveting, their records are well done, and they haven’t released even one bad song. I’m not exaggerating.

“This is the first show in a while that our wives haven’t attended,” singer/bassist Dave Norwood announced at the beginning of the set. “They’re tired of us!” The band then played “Great White Vacation,” a standout from El Camino, the EP they released last month. When Dave wasn’t tremulously bellowing clipped lyrics into the microphone, he swayed back and forth as if he was attacking a ghost with his instrument. He played full chords on his bass, until it sounded equally like rhythm guitar. Trey Pool’s guitar playing was stubbornly ambiguous: not flashy enough to be a solo, but never quite congealing into a riff. Paul Warner’s drumming was simple yet slightly syncopated. Most of their songs are like this: nothing about them is straightforward, but everything about them is essential. When they DO lock into a riff, like they did during the climax of “Confusion,” the result can level buildings.

One of Dave’s strings kept going out of tune throughout the set, and he could barely mask his exasperation over it. “Catch us on a good night,” he said at set’s end, advertising the band’s upcoming show at Red Seven. He was too hard on himself. This evening’s set fully justified the band’s headliner status: I can only complain about the great songs they DIDN’T play. Maybe I’d be harder on the band if I were married to any of their members.
- Sean Padilla
Ackrite Vs. Eejitcy

http://www.thegary.com
http://www.cedarfeverrecords.com/

Martha's Vineyard Ferries

Martha’s Vineyard Ferries is a summer fun punk band, created by Elisha Wiesner (Kahoots), Bob Weston (Shellac, Volcano Suns, Mission of Burma), and Chris Brokaw (Come, Codeine, The New Year), when they got together for a few days in 2009. Their new EP, In The Pond, is a 4 song 12” with music on one side, and a sweet little etching by Rosemary Hoeft on the other. It is a very nice record.

Elisha describes their process thusly:

“The band started as a fake joke band name Bob and I were using with some vague intention of maybe playing some music. We asked Chris to be the drummer in the fake band. A while after that we decided to actually do it, sent demos back and forth and got together at Bobs house in Chicago for a couple days of recording and eating hot dogs. Basically it's just 3 friends playing punk rock. All of us have larger musical commitments outside of the ferries but, for me at least, it was fun to just kind of come up with a silly idea see it turn into something really cool. I am certainly looking forward to playing some shows and future recording. It's fun to be in a band with no pressure, no expectations and no real time frame.”

http://marthasvineyardferries.bandcamp.com/
http://www.sickroomrecords.com/

Wereworm

So we've all been to shows to see certain bands while not knowing much if anything about the opener. It's not very often the opener blows me away but it's always nice when that happens. Dinosaur Jr. people certainly missed out. This was their first Minnesota show but you can catch Wereworm the next time they come to town. Besides the music what else do I admire about this band? None of them own cell phones. I'll buy a record from any band who doesn't own cell phones.
- Empty's Tapes: Twin Cities Live

http://www.stackmatic.com/wereworm
The Diode
Forum Addict

Re: STNNNG/The Gary/Martha's Vineyard Ferries/Wereworm-4/24-

Postby flanneljammies » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:17 pm

sweet.
flanneljammies
Forum Addict

Smartass callouts not necessary to win.

Postby The Diode » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:57 am

Win tickets...courtesy of Isthmus.
Contest ends 4/22.
The Diode
Forum Addict

Re: STNNNG/The Gary/Martha's Vineyard Ferries/Wereworm-4/24-

Postby The Diode » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:37 pm

Quintet, actually.
The Diode
Forum Addict

stackmatic.com

Postby The Diode » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:43 pm

Stack weighs in:

The Diode
Forum Addict

Tonight...

Postby The Diode » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:45 am

Bob's octet...to hear it in action is worth the price of admission.

The Diode
Forum Addict

Return to Hype Exchange