MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, October 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 58.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Topics for "Outside the Box"

Got a gig coming up? A CD coming out? A new bass player who looks like Jesus and smells like a field of posies? If you're selling or promoting something, post it here.

Re: Topics for "Outside the Box"

Postby bdog » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:29 pm

I really don't think it matters much either way....fuckin Romo needs to show up!
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:54 pm

I admit, it's more work and not nearly as cool to say "I'm completely certain that this blog's hit count is more than those two radio shows combined! Here's the blog stats!"
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:08 am

Rabble do you think Althouse gains from being mentioned on The show where Stu subbed for Mitch?

How exactly did she gain?

Respond in a cool or not cool fashion; I'll leave it up to you.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:19 am

rabble wrote:I am looking forward to Meade's explanation of exactly what he meant by "look it up."

I am looking forward to Rabble contributing to this thread in some meaningful fashion.

Will not hold my breath.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:36 pm

There's no way to compare a website's pageviews to a radio show's listeners using data. But if you're going to try, you need to use "unique visitors" and compare it to a show's listeners as determined by Arbitron ratings, which have been widely discredited (among other reasons, they rank a market's stations but don't measure public radio). I'm not sure how/if sitemeter accurately tracks unique visitors or how accurate it is. We use several tools to measure traffic and the numbers are sometimes wildly divergent.

Althouse is known for getting a lot of comments, certainly more than phone calls to any WIBA radio show. But that's not really apples to apples, either. A blog can be commented on throughout the day and by many people simultaneously while the standard talk show has, what, 20 minutes per hour, max, to take calls? Also, people can comment frequently on blogs at work where calling into a radio station is significantly less acceptable.

Technorati ranks Althouse a Top 100 blog, which is certainly the big leagues, particularly because so many of the others at that level are supported by media companies. Unless she's using Google Analytics (much more accurate than Sitemeter, in my opinion), it's very hard to know how many people in Madison are reading her blog vs. how many listen to WIBA.

Those who rely on markets to determine the relative value of goods and services might point out that the cost for advertising on a WIBA radio show is not the same as advertising on a blog.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:54 pm

I never hit that particular blog and rarely listen to the shows. I apologize for not listening to the shows more.

But I have a question: are there transcripts and streaming versions of the shows on the web?

And I'm still looking forward to exactly what Meade meant by "look it up."

And I'm looking forward to bdog's angry impatient exhortations to "leave Meade alone!"
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:04 pm

rabble wrote:And I'm still looking forward to exactly what Meade meant by "look it up."

And I'm looking forward to bdog's angry impatient exhortations to "leave Meade alone!"

I'm not.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:57 pm

Leave Meade alone !!!!!!!!!
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:49 pm

bdog is right, rabble -- you are ruining my life.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:32 pm

jjoyce wrote:Technorati ranks Althouse a Top 100 blog, which is certainly the big leagues, particularly because so many of the others at that level are supported by media companies. Unless she's using Google Analytics (much more accurate than Sitemeter, in my opinion), it's very hard to know how many people in Madison are reading her blog vs. how many listen to WIBA.

Those who rely on markets to determine the relative value of goods and services might point out that the cost for advertising on a WIBA radio show is not the same as advertising on a blog.

Althouse Google Analytics for today:
Pageviews today
Pageviews yesterday
Pageviews last month

I'm not seeing the numbers for unique visitors but when it shows up, I'll let you know. Advertisers rely on pageviews, not unique visitors. Do you know exactly which numbers are used by radio advertisers? That's not a rhetorical question - I honestly don't know but I would like to know (and, of course, Detritus demands to know).

When I get around to it I'll drill down and see if I can find the numbers for Althouse pageviews that are specific to Madison but it would not surprise me to learn her Madison audience exceeds Stu's + Mitch's X10. It's not only that new media continue to kick old media' asses, it's that Althouse is a compelling interesting writer - something for which there continues to be a growing demand - and, quite frankly, Stu's radio show is parochial, slow, and boring. He needs to raise his game. As he knows, the 60's are over and his old road is rapidly aging.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bland » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:59 pm

Meade wrote:Althouse is a compelling interesting writer....
I'm sure that's the opinion shared by many who click through to her site. But you have to be aware that a lot of clicks to her are because people who think she's a repugnant jerk are just there to check out what the conservative looney tunes are up to, right?
Or do you honestly believing that every click she gets is out of support for her views?
Bland
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:37 pm

A lot of the Althouse entries are not political at all.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:17 pm

Clicking to a blog does not equal agreeing with its viewpoint. I have a whole list of blogs I read just to find out what stupid-ass thing they're saying today. Keeps ya sharp.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stu Levitan » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:07 pm

I'll be filling in for Doug Cunningham on "The People's Mic" Friday Dec. 4, 5-6 pm on The Mic, 92.1. Phone lines open, 321-0921.
Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:10 pm

bdog wrote:A lot of the Althouse entries are not political at all.

You know who else talked about many things that weren't political at all? HITLER!

Just sayin. If Hitler had had a blog, he would have posted lots of things that weren't political. Coincidence? Probably.

But why isn't anyone talking about it?
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Hype Exchange