MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Sunday, September 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 62.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

DIGIBOT, The Blow Torches, DEIAGNUS @ Klinic - Fri, Feb 4th

Got a gig coming up? A CD coming out? A new bass player who looks like Jesus and smells like a field of posies? If you're selling or promoting something, post it here.

Which member of The New Recruits should Digibot gang hang from a hook?

Poll ended at Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:23 am

Shinky - we'd hang both Emo-Shinky and Furious Dicks.
29%
Chips - his parole officer hung him on a hook once.
No votes
Fats - why do i think he's a lock to win?
29%
Fats - why do i think he's a lock to win?
29%
Bort - he's our drummer too, but that wouldn't stop us.
14%

Total votes : 7

DIGIBOT, The Blow Torches, DEIAGNUS @ Klinic - Fri, Feb 4th

Postby supaunknown » Thu Feb 03, 2005 11:23 am

All I can say is that this is a fuckin' awesome lineup. Go.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:05 pm

I count the fallin tears that fall before my eyes
seems like a thousand years

SINCE WE BROKE THE TIES
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:06 pm

you don't want to miss this show. people will be talking about it for minutes to come.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:16 pm

can you possibly clone me so I can be there and the corral room?
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:55 pm

minicat wrote:can you possibly clone me so I can be there and the corral room?

Of course I can. How many 'yous' would you like? I'll need some hair, blood, and one of your crusty old gym socks to get started. Takes about an hour.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Fri Feb 04, 2005 4:06 pm

supaunknown wrote:

Of course I can. How many 'yous' would you like? I'll need some hair, blood, and one of your crusty old gym socks to get started. Takes about an hour.

however many you need to fill the room, I guess. just don't feed them after midnight, or get them wet.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Fri Feb 04, 2005 4:12 pm

minicat wrote:however many you need to fill the room, I guess. just don't feed them after midnight, or get them wet.

What? Are they on a diet:
http://pauldavidson.blogs.com/wfme/2004 ... insi_.html
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Fri Feb 04, 2005 4:25 pm

minicat wrote:
supaunknown wrote:

however many you need to fill the room, I guess. just don't feed them after midnight, or get them wet.

Fine, but I'm not putting you on the guest list.

If only I could clone Phoebe Cates. <sigh>
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Fri Feb 04, 2005 4:44 pm

supaunknown wrote:
minicat wrote:
supaunknown wrote:

Fine, but I'm not putting you on the guest list.
/quote]

Wagstaff will cover it.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Fri Feb 04, 2005 4:59 pm

minicat wrote:Wagstaff will cover it.

No, but I'll buy you one of those cheap-ass things you call "beer".
I'll be drinking Sam Adams.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Mon Feb 07, 2005 2:51 pm

The Night of 1000 Things

I had one of those nights where everything seemed to be flying at me from every direction at once. I'm sure all you bandies can relate to the mayhem that shows can bring about. Everybody comes out to see you, liquor is consumed, and sometimes it's pretty tough to keep up with the multitude of non-musical responsibilities that come along with the gig. If only it were as simple as just going up on stage and rocking out.

Tres Bando

I love it when a band shocks the crowd and defies explanation. Deiagnus started things off with ... something. Wow, these guys are good.
My favorite part of Deiagnus' set was their encore song which they announced as a work in progress. The drummer, clearly having fun, had a great look of anticipation as he watched the guitarists for cues.

The Blowtorches ripped out a reverb-laden rock & roll set, straight up. They had a great party vibe which the crowd seemed to love. Solid new drummer played wonderfully. Biggest winners of the evening.

Our set was 'classic' Digibot - a lot of experimentation, rock and wank. We invited two guest singers (Dave from Deiagus and Steve from Blowtorches) up separately and did a lot of improv. Steve got shockingly smothered by some crazy chick who just walked up on stage with her friend and started dirty dancing. Bart had a great show on drums. I was headliner tipsy and let my my bass playing willingly wander in and out of appropriateness. Props to Big Mike and The Klinic's Trevor who lined up this great bill.

duly noted
* second digibot show in a row that has seen 'flashing'. weird.
* i flat-out missed speedy trevor telling me that it was our responsibility to pay the openers. sorry 'bout my fuck up & misunderstanding.
* deiagnus - bm's got some $ for you.
* dustin ran fine sound.
* i met flat atom and he wasn't full of shit.
* the blonde bartender fills me with me rambling rose fantasies.
* schabow!
* i'm not a big fan of 'drink tickets'.
* woo-woo-woo-woo-woo!
* some enraged drunk chick said she wanted to 'drop kick' me outside.
* an upright bass is really big.
* people were quite hesitant to leave at bartime.
* the 'stic rules.
Last edited by supaunknown on Mon Feb 07, 2005 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon Feb 07, 2005 3:37 pm

Geez, supa, you left out so many of the night's highlights...

� One of those "dirty dancers" (decked out in a white pant-suit no less) playing Timbot's guitar with her ass.
� The Blowtorches covered The Smithereens! (Who covers The Smithereens?)
� Baretender Trevor offering to buy you a drink if you could guess his age (I hope next time we get to try to guess his weight.) Is it any wonder the night had a carnival-esque atmosphere?
â�¢ Big Mike doing a bizarre Iraqi version of Se�±or Wences during an improv number.
� The girl who refused to leave at the end of the night who kept screaming "You don't know me!" repeatedly at those who just wanted her to go home.
� Aunt Goodness providing the friendly and familiar C chord for an improv (why does everyone always try to come with "fancy" chords?)
� Steve from The Blowtorches - his improv would have been impressive anyway (he started tentatively but really found his stride) but was doubly so, considering he sang the majority of it from underneath some stranger's crotch (and he never stopped singing, even while he was noticably struggling to breathe!) (and kudos to Digibot for tailoring their improv song to their guest vocalist.)
� not to mention some of the most hilariously drunken backup vocals supa has ever delivered ("Cocaine!")

A great, great night.
I will definitely be checking out all these bands again.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:49 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:� The girl who refused to leave at the end of the night who kept screaming "You don't know me!" repeatedly at those who just wanted her to go home.

That's the chick who threatened to drop-kick me! What a treat.
Prof. Wagstaff wrote:� Steve from The Blowtorches - his improv would have been impressive anyway (he started tentatively but really found his stride) but was doubly so, considering he sang the majority of it from underneath some stranger's crotch (and he never stopped singing, even while he was noticably struggling to breathe!) (and kudos to Digibot for tailoring their improv song to their guest vocalist.)

He comes up and I asked him if he knew 'Brand New Cadillac'. He said "No, do you guys know 'Folsum Prison'?" Ah, sadly, no - so we made one up. That dude is a cool cat. He was literally taken aback by what his gyrating facedancer was doing but he kept on singing like a champ. I was awestruck by the whole scene. Just for future cover reference, we can play an awesome 'Born to Be Wild'.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:56 pm

supaunknown wrote:That's the chick who threatened to drop-kick me! What a treat.

I guess it was more amusing if you were outside waiting for a cab, eh?

BTW - how was my beer?
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Hype Exchange