MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 16, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 46.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Beach Baby?

We want to hear about your adventures, be they from Istanbul, Ixtapa or Ixonia. And hey, you might even find someone you can sell your extra Euros to.

Re: Beach Baby?

Postby city2countrygal » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:51 pm

acereraser wrote:I feel like clearing up some details.

Thanks acereraser. My bad on the Rockefeller slip. You described St. John perfectly! The touristyness of St. Thomas vs. St. John is significant. And the third of the three USVI, I would not even consider going to, St. Croix, though I have seen it advertised a lot recently. Dunno why.

acereraser wrote:All the trouble to get there winnows away the chaff, to be blunt.

Also true, the ferry ride is only 20 min, and the cost is $6 per person one way. That would not include your cab from the airport to the ferry location; there are two. And arriving in Cruz Bay in St. John is pretty awesome!

I also did not want to scare anyone with my comparison of the roads in St. Thomas to the Road to Hanna. I was being dramatic and overexaggerating. It was more about the driving on the opposite side of the road than steep, scary cliffs. I didn't do any driving on St. John, so I can't comment.
city2countrygal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:00 pm

city2countrygal wrote:
Also true, the ferry ride is only 20 min, and the cost is $6 per person one way. That would not include your cab from the airport to the ferry location; there are two. And arriving in Cruz Bay in St. John is pretty awesome!

Here a little jolt to your memory banks: A webcam showing a view of the ferry dock in Cruz Bay, courtesy of St. John Spice.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby L_White » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:09 am

The title made me remember a story told by my mother. When I was three years old, they took me to the beach for the first time. upon sighting the inviting blue body of water, I screamed and ran towards to the sea - clothes and all. Hope you and your baby have a good time together. =)
L_White

Postby acereraser » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:20 am

We are flying out early Wed. morning to get to St. John by evening. All of us, wife, me, eleven-year-old, and two six-year-olds. We are renting a villa this time, on the far east end, farther than we have gone just idly driving around. Short hike down to snorkeling beach is the draw. Hope my fins come tomorrow.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby city2countrygal » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:00 pm

I am so jealous, acereraser! I could use some good vibes from the intense equatorial sun right about now! Give us an forecast update when you get back. Oh yea, 80 degrees and gorgeous, never mind! :mrgreen:
city2countrygal
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Travel