MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Wednesday, July 30, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 71.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Toronto

We want to hear about your adventures, be they from Istanbul, Ixtapa or Ixonia. And hey, you might even find someone you can sell your extra Euros to.

Toronto

Postby boston_jeff » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:35 am

Going to Toronto for the weekend later this month. Anyone have any suggestions for sightseeing and restaurants? We are going to a ballgame on Friday evening and possibly another Saturday afternoon, but will be free Sat. morning, late afternoon and evening, and Sun. morning.

Any suggestions will be appreciated as always.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Toronto

Postby fennel » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:21 pm

boston_jeff wrote:Going to Toronto for the weekend later this month. Anyone have any suggestions for sightseeing and restaurants? We are going to a ballgame on Friday evening and possibly another Saturday afternoon, but will be free Sat. morning, late afternoon and evening, and Sun. morning.

Any suggestions will be appreciated as always.
Chinatown is definitely worth it. For Indian, I've had some great meals at Babur. It's a pretty good town for biking.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:25 pm

Do you need a passport? Just wondering.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:30 pm

There are several high end places listed in the guidebooks in Chinatown, any suggestions for rough gems, or am I better off paying to play? Also, is the CN tower worth checking out?
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:33 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Do you need a passport? Just wondering.

Yes, I realized mine was expiring right after I booked the flight. I had about 6 weeks, so I had to fast track to be sure (cost extra), but I got it within two weeks and they mailed me my old passport too.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:08 pm

boston_jeff wrote:There are several high end places listed in the guidebooks in Chinatown, any suggestions for rough gems, or am I better off paying to play? Also, is the CN tower worth checking out?

I really liked the views from the CN Tower, but I remember the wait being a little long due to all the other tourists. I also thought Greektown was pretty cool. If I recall correctly, we had dinner at a Greek placed called the Astoria House.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jhain » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:17 pm

The CN tower is kind of pricey but the view is good.

I'd suggest getting a transit pass. They sell them by the day and they are good for subways, busses and trams.

Chinatown is nice. I also like the art district along Queen's Quay (I think that's the right road. Something like that..) Lots of nice little galleries, cafes, restaurants, etc..

Have fun. It's a pretty nice city.
jhain
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:23 pm

CN Tower was def. worth it, and we ended up walking everywhere, from one end of the city to the other. No need for the metropass although it did look like a good deal for when the weather isn't as nice. Rogers Centre is a lot like Miller Park and the Red Sox rocked the shit on Friday night, beating AJ Burnett in a 4-3 seesaw battle. The shopping, entertainment, food and international flavor make Toronto a world class city IMO, and the cleanliness was really striking juxtaposed with the highrises and skyscrapers.

On Saturday we were held up on foot and in a cab as University was blocked off for almost a half hour while movie crews filmed a black helicopter flying back and forth. Also, New Kids on the Block were staying in our hotel and about 100 fans were stalking the lobby when we returned from the ballpark on Saturday night. All in all a really great weekend, thanks for all the advice.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Travel