MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, November 29, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 27.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

ORD park n' fly hotels

We want to hear about your adventures, be they from Istanbul, Ixtapa or Ixonia. And hey, you might even find someone you can sell your extra Euros to.

ORD park n' fly hotels

Postby boston_jeff » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:24 am

Any suggestions? I know Henry Vilas must know!
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:22 pm

I tried the Comfort Inn Des Plaines once, but I can't say I'd give it high marks. They were in the midst of a remodel at the time and the room I ended up with wasn't worth the price. The parking lot didn't strike me as secure either.

If you're doing a flight out of Midway I'd recommend the Courtyard Marriott. I paid too much when I stayed there, but it was a last minute booking by someone in my office. The room and the service was great and the entire parking lot (there are about four hotels there) was regularly patrolled.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:30 pm

Its definitely O'Hare and our flight is the next day at 4 PM. We are only thinking about doing it because we can save money on the airport parking fees, and we have probably 24 hours to hang out in Chicago.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:42 pm

I always take the Vany Gee (Van Galder) when I fly out of Chicago. Depending on when you're getting back, it's really the best way to go.

Plus, ORD is right on the Blue Line, which puts you right in Wicker Park if you want to find some good food/drink.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:02 pm

I'll be staying at the Wyndham O'Hare in early December, before and after a week in St. Martin. I've stayed there a few times before (when it was a Raddison) and liked it. Frequent shuttles to the airport, gated lot for your car. Their restaurant and bar are decent. Reasonably priced - $129 for a night and for a week's parking.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:20 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:I'll be staying at the Wyndham O'Hare in early December, before and after a week in St. Martin. I've stayed there a few times before (when it was a Raddison) and liked it. Frequent shuttles to the airport, gated lot for your car. Their restaurant and bar are decent. Reasonably priced - $129 for a night and for a week's parking.

I can back this up. I was there for an overnighter about two months ago, and everything was fine. I got them through a Priceline bid, so got a good deal, but there's no guarantee of which hotel you'll get if you go that route.

Added plus: They let me keep my car in their gated lot for the day *after* I checked out and wanted to visit downtown via train.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:38 pm

We are in Spain for 13 days. I will check and see what the deals are like for the Wyndham for that many parking the car. I thought about the bus too, but I don't want to be rushed.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:45 pm

I think the rate I got was for up to 10 days parking. We have an early morning flight, so the Van Galder isn't an option.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby spanky » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:58 pm

boston_jeff wrote:We are in Spain for 13 days. I will check and see what the deals are like for the Wyndham for that many parking the car. I thought about the bus too, but I don't want to be rushed.

I stayed at the Hyatt Regency (Hyatt Regency O'Hare Park Sleep and Fly Package) last winter. For as little as $109 (depending on what day you need to stay over) you get a night's lodging, shuttle to and from the airport(serving all terminals) and upto 14 days of parking in a secure parking garage. Plus - although it looks a little garish from the outside - the hotel interior is really cool with a stunning atrium configurtation.
spanky
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:56 pm

I've always been intrigued by the O'Hare Hilton, the one actually connected to the airport. Looks like rooms start at $254.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:13 pm

Those all sound good, I would prefer one with access to the train into Chicago, so I guess I have to do some digging. Thanks!
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:36 pm

boston_jeff wrote:Those all sound good, I would prefer one with access to the train into Chicago, so I guess I have to do some digging. Thanks!

The airport is on the blue line to downtown, so any hotel that has a shuttle to O'Hare will work. The one at Wyndham was running every 15 minutes, if I remember correctly.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby roadkill bill » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:40 pm

I will never drive to O'Hare if I can help it. Henry V's situation of an early morning flight is the only reason to do so, and even there, I might stay overnight after taking the late Van Galder.

TAKE THE BUS! If you are going to pay for a night at a hotel anyway, stay downtown, and jump on the Blue Line to make the flight. Or stay out at a O'Hare hotel and run down into the city. Or take the early AM Van Glader, dump the luggage somewhere - those services must exist - and have the whole day in the city before the flight.

Drive into Chicago or O'Hare? No thanks. And this is from someone with quite a bit of experience in that area.
roadkill bill
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Scotty » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:49 pm

Here is a site that may help.
Scotty
Forum Addict

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:56 pm

Around twenty years ago, Ms Vilas and I took the Van Galder to O'Hare (or maybe Midway - I forget). We were going to drive but it was very snowy and we had a shit car. Anyway, as we got on at the Memorial Union, the bus was so crowded that we had to stand or use the jump seats in the aisle. It was a harrowing journey, as the bus would at times fishtail on I-90.

Needless to say, Ms Vilas has vetoed the Van Galder ever since.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Travel