MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Sunday, November 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 48.0° F  Light Rain Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Cruise Advice Needed - Cruise w/ the Coaches

We want to hear about your adventures, be they from Istanbul, Ixtapa or Ixonia. And hey, you might even find someone you can sell your extra Euros to.

Cruise Advice Needed - Cruise w/ the Coaches

Postby baboocole » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:50 pm

Howdy!

I was lucky enough to win two spots on the Cruise with the Coaches (Badger football staff, that is) this coming February.

I'm trying to find others that are going on this cruise, and I'm looking for advice on Caribbean cruising in general. If you have advice on what to bring/not to bring, what to eat, pack, excursions, how to get around paying astronomical booze prices, etc., it would really help me out. Neither myself nor my sig. other have ever been on a cruise before, and we're a bit clueless to say the least.

Our ports of call are Cozumel and Belize City. We also get one day & night in Ft. Lauderdale prior to leaving on the cruise.

Thanks!
baboocole

Re: Cruise Advice Needed - Cruise w/ the Coaches

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:54 pm

Advice? How about Stay away from Beilema when he's wasted. Which might be most of the time.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby baboocole » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:58 pm

fisticuffs wrote:Advice? How about Stay away from Beilema when he's wasted. Which might be most of the time.

Yeah, yeah, yeah...I've heard all the stories/lore/truth, whatever you want to call it. I'm sure my interaction with him will be brief and minimal, to say the least.

Srsly, tho. Cruise advice. :)
baboocole

Postby Marvell » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:07 pm

Handkerchief in left back pocket = 'pitch but won't catch.'
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby baboocole » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:11 pm

Marvell wrote:Handkerchief in left back pocket = 'pitch but won't catch.'

"Nyeroooooooooooooooooooooo"

That is the sound of your joke/witticism flying over my head.

I guess I should also mention that we are mid-20s folk, if that makes a difference in cruisin'.
baboocole

Postby Marvell » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:27 pm

Well - for what it's worth, I got the joke off of John Belushi-era Saturday Night Live.

So:

a.) It's not really my joke;
b.) You really didn't miss anything.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby baboocole » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:34 pm

Marvell wrote:Well - for what it's worth, I got the joke off of John Belushi-era Saturday Night Live.

So:

a.) It's not really my joke;
b.) You really didn't miss anything.

Belushi was dead before I was born. You may need to update your joke repertoire.

However, I am still interested in what exactly pitching, catching and hankerchiefs have to do with cruises.
baboocole

Postby Marvell » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:43 pm

baboocole wrote:However, I am still interested in what exactly pitching, catching and hankerchiefs have to do with cruises.

Everything.

But not, I suspect, with the kind of cruise you're going to be going on.

I'm guessing you're more Royal Carribean and less Larry Craig...
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby baboocole » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:56 pm

Marvell wrote:
baboocole wrote:However, I am still interested in what exactly pitching, catching and hankerchiefs have to do with cruises.

Everything.

But not, I suspect, with the kind of cruise you're going to be going on.

I'm guessing you're more Royal Carribean and less Larry Craig...

Ohhhh! No, I don't think it's going to be one of those "fancy" cruises.
baboocole

Postby wallrock » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:28 pm

I went on a Royal Caribbean cruise right after college, also in February. I'd recommend the ruins at Tulum near Cozumel. It's just a 15 minute ferry ride from the island to the mainland, and the cruise we were on had a package deal. We also went to the park at Xel-Ha as part of the package and while that was pretty scenic it was also quite touristy.

One thing I'd recommend is high-SPF sunscreen and lots of it. This pasty white Wisconsinite burned in about 20 minutes of deck time the first day. The worst was two diamond-shaped patches on the tops of my feet where my sandals did not cover.

There's really no good way around the high booze prices. I bought a bottle of Johnny Walker Red (my first time buying Scotch) at the duty-free on board. You pay a hefty service charge to drink it on the ship but it was still better than the prices at the bar. My friend and I had also gotten a bottle of 151 Jamaican rum during a stop at Ocho Rios and we mixed it with juice from the buffet. It was terrible actually but made for some good times.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:37 pm

Don't buy blended-ice drinks. That's about the only way to keep from overspending on drinkable booze. The other option (and they go together) is to max out on the bottles of liquor you buy, so that your savings make up for on-ship liquid expeditures. The party extends to your house that way.

Find the nude deck. No one will tell you where it is, but try to aim uphill and take random turns. You'll get there eventually.

Ice cream at your beck and call is a wonderful thing. Don't waste your time waiting for pizza; it takes too long and unless it's particularly well-lauded, it's not going to be worth the crowds.

Lord only knows what the regs are on passports/cruise ships now. Bring 'em.

Stick with the cruise-approved shore excursions, unless you like tempting fate. And you can swim really, really fast.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Scotty » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:40 pm

Learn the layout of the ship ASAP.
Knowing where you are and want to go doesn't suck.

Watch the cruise director’s onboard TV channel and read the daily newsletter.
There is a lot to offer.
At the time you will think it is a bunch of crap but when you're back home shoveling snow, you'll wish you took a look.

You might be able to sneak some booze onboard if you buy it in FL and put in a platypus bag (bladder). They will take any bottles you have packed.

The cruise line excursions can be had much cheaper.
If you know where you want to go, there are many locals at the port of call not affiliated with the cruise line that can offer the same trip for much less. They will find you if you walk past the security area at the dock.
(Think cutting out the middle man). Their job is to get you there and back before the ship leaves
Last edited by Scotty on Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scotty
Forum Addict

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:48 pm

Scotty wrote:Their job is to get you there and back before the ship leaves

Except if they don't do their job, or if something unexpected happens, you're up shit creek without a cruise ship. The ship will NOT wait for an independent tour guide, no matter how reputable they are.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby baboocole » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:13 am

TheBookPolice wrote:The other option (and they go together) is to max out on the bottles of liquor you buy, so that your savings make up for on-ship liquid expeditures. The party extends to your house that way.

What do you mean by "max out on the bottles of liquor" I buy? You just mean buy a bunch of booze from the on-ship store? Any idea how much we're talking to do this?
baboocole

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:27 am

You can only bring back so much liquor through Customs (yes, cheaters out there, I realize you can try to cheat, but I think that's pretty weak). It's something like 1L unless you purchase a liquor product of Puerto Rico (at least, that's how the regs went when I cruised a few years ago), and then it's 5L plus the PR booze. And it doesn't have to be solely on-ship. You can find decent deals in ports-of-call, too. But you won't get to drink it until you get home.

I'm not necessarily serious about maxing out, but it's a good way to get A) kinda cheap booze, particularly Johnny Walker, and B) sometimes you can find stuff that doesn't have US distribution (like Sheridan's).

I feel like the prices were about 20-25% off of standard liquor store prices.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Travel