MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, November 26, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 20.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Where to stay downtown?

We want to hear about your adventures, be they from Istanbul, Ixtapa or Ixonia. And hey, you might even find someone you can sell your extra Euros to.

Where to stay downtown?

Postby kulgar » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:10 am

Five women (plus possibly a eunuch husband) want to stay downtown (near the Union) for two or three nights in late June. Tried the University Inn once but are looking for other options.

Any suggestions? Even where to look?
kulgar
Forum Addict

Re: Where to stay downtown?

Postby kiwiwannabe » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:38 am

It depends on a number of things - how many people in each room? What days of the week?

I'll give you a list to start from, and you can repost if you need more information.

If you want a suite set-up with a restaurant in house and parking, try the Doubletree on West Johnson Street.

Lowell Hall, part of UW-Extension, also has a restaurant that serves breakfast, and you can get parking there, too.

Or you can actually stay IN the Memorial Union itself, but you better get your reservations in as soon as possible, especially if you are coming on a weekend in June, as it will be the dreaded Wedding Season, when all the hotel rooms get scooped up months in advance.

These are the best and closest locations.
kiwiwannabe
Forum Addict

Postby white_rabbit » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:47 am

The Hilton, Inn on the Park, Concourse, Doubletree and The Edgewater are the downtown hotels that are within walking distance of State Street, Capitol Square and the University areas. Their websites can easily be found via a google search or do a search on hotels.com. I would suggest booking now because of the heavy tourism and wedding schedules during the summer months in Madison.
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:01 am

Here's some sites:

The Campus Inn is 2 blocks east of the union. I've heard good things about it.
http://thecampusinn.com/

The Edgewater is a few more blocks east. On the lake, beautiful cocktail lounge.
http://www.theedgewater.com/

The Concourse. About 6 blocks up State st. from the Union. http://www.concoursehotel.com/
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kulgar » Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:32 pm

The Hilton is one hell of a slog for sloshed ladies pushing 60 to walk, it's 1.42 miles mostly uphill. They stayed at the Campus Inn (it's had a dozen names) two years ago and are looking for options. Thursday through Saturday.

One of their husbands used to stay at the Union but they've dismissed that for some reason. I think you need an affiliation to stay there but not certain.

Do any of those upscale student dorms, like the one on University Avenue with the sign that says "Lucky" rent out rooms for short term stays during the summer?

Thanks for the help.
kulgar
Forum Addict

Return to Travel