MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, September 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 51.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

donate your hotel soap collection!

We want to hear about your adventures, be they from Istanbul, Ixtapa or Ixonia. And hey, you might even find someone you can sell your extra Euros to.

donate your hotel soap collection!

Postby bigdumbgirl » Tue May 19, 2009 11:58 am

For those of you who collect those tiny unopened bottles of hotel soap, shampoo, conditioner, lotion and other toiletries, Community Pharmacy has a box just inside the front door where you can donate them! For more details, go to http://www.communitypharmacy.coop
bigdumbgirl

Re: donate your hotel soap collection!

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue May 19, 2009 12:36 pm

My wife and I travel a lot and we collect those hotel freebies and donate them to the women's shelter.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Tue May 19, 2009 12:46 pm

That's a really good idea. I never knew why I was taking all of those hotel soaps before (aside from my cheap farmer lineage) but now I can finally do something with the collection I've accumulated over the last couple of years.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby robbie webber » Tue May 19, 2009 4:36 pm

Two conflicting impulses fight it out when I check into a hotel and see the little soaps and shampoos:

1. Take them and donate them to the women's shelter, which I've done in the past. (Community services supporter side)

2. Leave them so I don't contribute to more little tiny plastic bottles being manufactured and then thrown away. (Enviromentalist side.)

So I take the extra soap and leave the shampoo.

And just a little pitch for buying just a couple extra items next time you are shopping and giving them to your local shelter, food pantry, or other community organization. A couple boxes/cans of what's on sale, some tooth brushes, soap, deodorant, a bag of rice, or even extra produce from your garden can go a long way to helping out others in your community. If we all gave one or two items each from a shopping trip, the food pantries would be full!
robbie webber
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DarrellBray » Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:54 pm

robbie webber wrote:Two conflicting impulses fight it out when I check into a hotel and see the little soaps and shampoos:

1. Take them and donate them to the women's shelter, which I've done in the past. (Community services supporter side)

2. Leave them so I don't contribute to more little tiny plastic bottles being manufactured and then thrown away. (Enviromentalist side.)

So I take the extra soap and leave the shampoo.

And just a little pitch for buying just a couple extra items next time you are shopping and giving them to your local shelter, food pantry, or other community organization. A couple boxes/cans of what's on sale, some tooth brushes, soap, deodorant, a bag of rice, or even extra produce from your garden can go a long way to helping out others in your community. If we all gave one or two items each from a shopping trip, the food pantries would be full!

Regarding environmental concerns, hopefully they recycle? All in all though, I would have to come down on the side of contributing.

The rest of your post, I totally agree with. There is so much that can be done with just a little contribution. No need to wait for a charity event or what have you. I mean, I look at how much I spend on entertainment (TV/Internet/Movie tickets/etc) in a month and try to spend at least that on exactly the type of contributions you mentioned, and it is surprising how far that goes. :)

DBray
Associate
Palm Springs Hotels
Lake Tahoe Resort
DarrellBray

Postby slanoue » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:39 pm

Thanks for the tips, that is a good idea.

I collect the soaps for display but I do have lots of extras, so now I know what to do with them!

Suzanne Lanoue
http://suzann.com/stuff/collections.htm
slanoue

Postby jman111 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:56 pm

Are you planning to make the trip to Madison to drop them off, Suzanne?
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:51 am

Henry Vilas wrote:My wife and I travel a lot and we collect those hotel freebies and donate them to the women's shelter.

So, you steal from hotels and call it "charity"?

Hank, you generous bastard!
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:10 am

Ned Flanders wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:My wife and I travel a lot and we collect those hotel freebies and donate them to the women's shelter.

How is taking the soap and shampoo provided for paying guests stealing?

What next, are you going to report the Community Pharmacy (see opening post) to the MPD for receiving stolen goods?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:09 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
Ned Flanders wrote:

How is taking the soap and shampoo provided for paying guests stealing?

What next, are you going to report the Community Pharmacy (see opening post) to the MPD for receiving stolen goods?

Then why not grab some sheets and towels while you're at it?

If you need the shampoo, lotion etc. while you're a guest at the hotel use it. On the otherhand, dumping any unopened item you can grab into your shaving kit--not classy.

Do you dump "leftover" jam, sugar packets, rolls, bread, tea bags and butter into your fanny pack at restaurants? Yes, you probably do...

If you want to "donate" to the shelter, go to Costco and knock yourself out.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:10 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:How is taking the soap and shampoo provided for paying guests stealing?

Then why not grab some sheets and towels while you're at it?

Reductio ad absurdum.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Average Joe » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:11 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:On the otherhand, dumping any unopened item you can grab into your shaving kit--not classy.

You've been obsessed with Bill Clinton's penis since 1998 and you're concerned about "classy"?
Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby slanoue » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:27 am

jman111 wrote:Are you planning to make the trip to Madison to drop them off, Suzanne?

No, but there are women's and homeless shelters everywhere, silly...

Suzanne Lanoue
http://suzann.com
http://tvmegasite.net
slanoue

Postby slanoue » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:46 am

Hotels give away these items to paying guests and expect that you will take a certain amount, whether you use them or not. It costs them very little (part of the expense of doing business and also a tax write-off) and they don't care if you do it. By paying for the room, you are entitled to use or take them. If you were grabbing a whole bag full off the maid's cart, that would then be stealing, yes.

Things that are not disposable like towels, blankets, TV's, robes, hair dryers, irons, coffee pots, etc. are not free, and you are not expected to take them home. They may put a charge on your credit card if you try.

The things in your room that are disposable include Shampoo, soaps, plastic cups, sewing kits, lotion, conditioner, shoe shine clothes, coffee, sugar, sweet and low, ice, pens, post cards, kleenex, toilet paper (not the whole roll), stationery, and envelopes. Also, you can take business cards or other free stuff from the hotel lobby, and swizzle sticks, coasters, and matches from the bar or restaurant. They are all there free for you to take and many people collect these items.

They probably wouldn't even care if you take the cheap glassware in your room. I have had plenty of hotels and hotel bars not really care if you take them elsewhere and don't return them (especially in a tourist city), like in Vegas or New Orleans, for instance. However, I would not feel right taking anything that is not disposable unless it is specifically given to me as a tourist glass or cup (you often do pay extra for those).

Some people do steal anything that is not bolted down, including the hotel bible. They are what you might call ethically challenged.

Restaurants are different. The only thing they would expect you to take with you is leftovers (unless you are at a buffet). They also have a tighter budget than most hotels. I'm sure that quite a few people do take as many sugars, sweet n' lows, jams etc. that they can stuff into their purses. Yes, that would be stealing. The same as taking money out of the cash register? Of course not.

FYI, most restaurants would give you other souvenirs if you ask, such as a pen with their name on it. Again, they want you to take it because it is cheap for them (plus it is advertising). Anyone in the hospitality business wants you to leave their establishment with a good feeling, so if taking some soaps will do that, they are fine with it.

Anyway, you can't expect people to all have the same exact ethics as you do. Just like we don't all use the same vernacular or vocabulary, or have the same accents, or have the same manners, or have the same habits. We were all raised differently.

It's fine, of course, to exchange ideas on the net about what is or isn't proper, but it's best to try to avoid name-calling or insults unless you enjoy upsetting or fighting with people. There are plenty of "trolls" on the net who do just that!

Suzanne Lanoue
http://suzann.com
http://tvmegasite.net
slanoue

Postby jfulfer1 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:17 am

Personally, if I stay at a nice hotel, I take the soaps, lotion, etc. Why not? I paid for them, soaps are a built in cost. Plus unless you're staying at a super fancy hotel, how much does it really cost the hotel? Not too much, based on what i found here:

http://www.nathosp.com/prod_detail_list/hotel_soaps_and_amenities

As you can see, a box of 1000 soaps, is less than $50. That's not much, so I won't feel bad the next time I 'steal' soap.
jfulfer1

Next

Return to Travel