MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, October 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 50.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Where will you travel to in 2009?

We want to hear about your adventures, be they from Istanbul, Ixtapa or Ixonia. And hey, you might even find someone you can sell your extra Euros to.

Re: Where will you travel to in 2009?

Postby Ducatista » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:27 pm

I'm one week into a six-week stay in Holland, which I'll follow with a week-long stint in Germany. Staying in a cozy-as-fuck apartment in Amersfoort, just a block from the Medieval walled center city. Looks like Disney threw up all over the place, except for the sex shop across the street from the inn, which looks like Disney did something else all over the place.

Weds I drive to Belgium to tell a printer what's what.

Not a bad gig, as work goes.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:37 pm

Go to Bruges.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:15 pm

boston_jeff wrote:Go to Bruges.

It's fucking Bruges!

That's how I've described this place, actually. Fucking Bruges, but not as Bruges-y.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:07 pm

Ducatista wrote:I'm one week into a six-week stay in Holland, which I'll follow with a week-long stint in Germany.

BTW - I saw your boy outside Maduro on Saturday night while I was on a futile quest to track down my pal Jag. He offered me a cigar, to which I demurred.

We had a nice conversation amidst all the tedious hipsterness; he told me a hilarious story about Arkansas sushi.

When I finally took my leave to catch the bus back to my grotty east-side environs he said, "Well, nice talking to you Marvell."

You might let him know - offline, I do answer to my christian name.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Jazznews » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:39 pm

To Chicago to say goodbye to my daughter who's moving to Portland Oregon. Hopefully we'll get out there sometime. I hear it's a beautiful place - that's one reason she's moving there.

It will certainly be better than Kansas, where she has been living for the last 2 years. The last time we visited her there, we went through Topeka and saw the beautiful murals by John Stuart Curry in the state capitol. Then we went and saw Fred Phelp's church with its upside down American and Canadian flags and its "God Hates America" banner. Lovely. :roll:
Jazznews
Forum Addict

Postby Ducatista » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:46 pm

Marvell wrote:You might let him know - offline, I do answer to my christian name.

Ha, I'll let him know... but he often calls me Duca, so I make no promises.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:46 pm

Flying to Monterey CA on Monday. Spending most of the week with my brother Daniel and his family, who live 3 blocks off the beach in Carmel.

Then on Friday my college pal Brenda and I are renting a car and heading up the Mendocino coast. We'll spend Friday night in the city, and have dinner with my cousin the fashion designer; then hope to pass through Occidental and take the Coleman Valley Road out to the coast on Saturday morning. Spend the night probably in Ft. Bragg; then come back down and drop on over into the Anderson Valley on Sunday. Have lunch at the Anderson Valley Brewing Co. tap room; then head down and spend the night in Sebastapol.

Then back to Monterey on Monday morning; fly out on Tuesday.

Haven't had a week off since the first week of June, so I'm really looking forward to this.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:03 pm

boston_jeff wrote:Go to Bruges.

I did, btw. Took the train to Antwerp, where our Belgian print rep met us at the station and drove us to Bruges and squired us around.

Bruges smacks you right upside the head with picturesque. And we saw the Blood of Jesus, nice. (I'm sure it was the real thing.) I'm irritated to report, though, after climbing up all 366 steps, that the top of the tower is nothing like it is in the movie. It's a caged-in belfry, in fact, and the bells went off when we were up at the top and just about killed us all. (Anyone ever read The Nine Tailors ?) The town is quite crowded during summer holiday. I'd love to go back during the off season.

Had a late dinner in Antwerp before training home, and concluded I want to spend more time in Antwerp next time I'm in the neighborhood. Beautiful city, and the train station is a freaking caricature of European railway grandeur.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby paulfinn31 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:03 am

East Coast barrier island would love to go here been longing for a nice vacation.

Paul Finn
Strandkorb
paulfinn31

Postby stephenmorphey » Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:10 am

Hi All,

I am traveling to India. I am going to visit Srinagar, Ladak, Ley, Jammu, Delhi. Am very excited for this trip!!!

tea bags
Last edited by stephenmorphey on Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
stephenmorphey

Postby buckyor » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:23 pm

Madison, just after Thanksgiving, which will be spent in Milwaukee. Coming to attend a wedding reception and see some other acquaintances. Hope the Essen Haus is still open; can't find a place to get a boot around here.
buckyor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:16 pm

Aloha,

Ms Vilas and I got back last night after ten days in Hawaii. Just in time for the blizzard. Great vacation. Took a cruise round-trip from Honolulu. Visited Maui, the Big Island and Kaua'i. Took the road to Hana, visited Volcanoes National Park and drank more than one Mai Tai. Saw lava hit the ocean at night.

When the cruise ended, we went to the Hawaii - UW football game. On our last day we went to the Arizona Memorial in Pearl Harbor. I'm a Navy vet and served with a Pearl Harbor survivor, a lifer who was finishing up his 30 years. Very emotional.

We picked the right time to cruise, as 60 waves are predicted. The cruise ship was still in port on Sunday, a day after it was scheduled to depart for Maui.

Next trip, probably to visit my dad and stepmom in Arizona sometime during the spring.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:24 pm

Our last trip of the year will be on Christmas to visit relatives in Indiana. The only part I hate is the driving around Chicago. Where is that train they keep talking about?
Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Travel