MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Monday, November 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 37.0° F  Light Drizzle
Collapse Photo Bar

Going to Egypt

We want to hear about your adventures, be they from Istanbul, Ixtapa or Ixonia. And hey, you might even find someone you can sell your extra Euros to.

Going to Egypt

Postby Broadsheet » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:38 pm

A young relative of mine and his girlfriend are going to Egypt for two weeks soon. Any tips? They'll be based at a good hotel in Cairo but want to go to Luxor, which is a 500-mile train ride. They don't speak Arabic. Is hooking up with a group a better idea?
Broadsheet
Forum Addict

Re: Going to Egypt

Postby john_titor » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:01 pm

Late to the party, but for me Egypt was intense.

I spent most of my time in Cairo. The friendliest group of people I have ever met, outside of a family reunion. The pyramids of Giza are close. It satisfied my need. 500 mile train trip would be an adventure. As far as groups go - http://frugaltraveler.blogs.nytimes.com/

Stuff I can remember:

A palatial room for pennies over-looking a hookah bar

The market

Really, that's the Nile? huh.

Prayer calls from minarets blew my undies away

I decided to say screw it and ate everything I saw, including sugar-coated beef fat served out of a trashcan lid by a 10 year old boy

The most powerful bowel blasts I have ever experienced

Toilet no longer working

The World speaks English.
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Going to Egypt

Postby robter » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:21 pm

I have gone to Egypt once before and the place was awesome. There were a lot of places you can go to and a lot of foodies at that.

Though I suggest that you pack yourself ready with all the things you would need. If you are using a flash light as part of your tour, bring batteries and lots of them. If you are situated at a far town, it would take you hours before you get to the major city.

Also, you might want to stuff yourself with activities to keep you aloof while in transport. Good place, long rides was worth it.
robter

Return to Travel