MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, July 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 77.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

My Mexico conundrum

We want to hear about your adventures, be they from Istanbul, Ixtapa or Ixonia. And hey, you might even find someone you can sell your extra Euros to.

I got Meximpatient

Postby Marvell » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:16 pm

I keep waiting vainly for someone to say, 'Mexonundrum.'

Guess I'll just have to take one for the team...
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Re: My Mexico conundrum

Postby Crockett » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:30 pm

Keys = No good beaches

Thats a deal-breaker for me.
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:38 pm

Crockett wrote:Keys = No good beaches

Thats a deal-breaker for me.

Well, there's Smathers Beach on Key West and there's Bahia Honda which is a little drive, but you are basically correct.

That said, there's a lot to do including snorkling, biking, walking around histoci sites including an old fort; you can also take a day trip to the Dry Tortugas. The food is great, plenty of booze, nice people, nice weather What else could you want?

Fly into Miami, rent a convertible and drive through the Keys to Key West.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:33 pm

iwiw99 wrote:I'm guessing around 2200 for ten days at the time.

I really enjoyed my time there.

Just verifying...the days/price applies to the Keys, right?

Narco, I wouldn't go somewhere that I didn't feel safe. These vacations are too precious to have that sort of worry, even in the back of your mind.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:23 am

Ned Flanders wrote:
Fly into Miami, rent a convertible and drive through the Keys to Key West.

Rented a convertible in Florida once. Realized that the only people with the tops down were the tourists, locals all had the tops on, windows up, AC cranked. After 2 days of blazing sun interspersed with out-of-nowhere downpours, so did we. It was still fun, saw some of the Keys.

gargantua wrote:
Narco, I wouldn't go somewhere that I didn't feel safe. These vacations are too precious to have that sort of worry, even in the back of your mind.

I wouldn't have any fear going to Puerto Vallarta. The secluded roads leading to some of the cool little beach towns might be a different story.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Logjam » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:01 am

narcoleptish wrote:I wouldn't have any fear going to Puerto Vallarta. The secluded roads leading to some of the cool little beach towns might be a different story.

If you go to PV stay in the Old Town section, its on the south side of the city and away from where the cruise ships come in. Its a little funkier than the rest of the city although its still kind of touristy. You can take city buses up the coast to little towns, I forget the names, that is fun for a day trip. There are zip line tours that are a blast if you are into that kind of thing. Great restaurants in PV, from the street carts up to very fancy places, lots of great stuff. Only drawback is the snorkeling isn't as good on that side but I did see a couple of spotted eagle rays.
Logjam
Forum Addict

Postby roadkill bill » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:43 pm

A couple years ago I went to Key West for the first time. My assessment of it:

Overhyped, overpriced, and overcrowded. Glad I went to see it. Don't feel the need to go back. Too long a drive for too little in return.

I have been to Mexico and other areas of Latin America many, many times, and feel comfortable traveling to areas well off the tourist road. However, the stories I hear coming out of Mexico make me concerned to visit right now. I hate the big, glitzy resort areas, overrun with drunk Americans, but worry about the less traveled areas now. Even the tourist resorts are not immune to the violence sweeping the country.

Would appreciate knowledgeable feedback from recent visits or first-hand experience. (Who said his mother lives there? I can't backtrack to look right now.) I'd like to take a nice, quiet trip there this winter, but am wondering where is both safe and warm.
roadkill bill
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:52 am

Here's a place to check out:
American (and Canadian) "Expats Gone Wild" Creating Havoc in Mexico
As if Mexico didn’t have enough problems, now comes a plague of scoundrels, airheads and doomsday believers in the form of “expatriates.”

An invasion of misguided foreigners is creating problems for Mexican citizens and authorities who, without warning, are confronting an invasion that resembles a plague of locusts. Consider recent developments in Merida, a peaceful and sophisticated city of a million people in the Yucatan peninsula, far removed from the drama of the border region.

This city, ranked among the most livable in the world by International Living magazine, and hailed as an idyllic tropical paradise by thousands of happy expats from the world over, is now the scene of Expats Gone Wild, with Americans and Canadians misbehaving in ways that have alarmed officials.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Crockett » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:01 am

roadkill bill wrote:Even the tourist resorts are not immune to the violence sweeping the country.

Link? This is just not true. How many American tourists have been killed by drug violence at the resorts?
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:02 am

If you have the bucks, go to St. Martin. Great weather, great beaches and fantastic food. It's the culinary capital of the Caribbean. The island is divided between the Dutch (Sint Maarten) and the French (St. Martin). The Dutch side is Americanized, but the French side really is France, with a tropical twist.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby buckyor » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:48 am

roadkill bill wrote:Would appreciate knowledgeable feedback from recent visits or first-hand experience. (Who said his mother lives there? I can't backtrack to look right now.) I'd like to take a nice, quiet trip there this winter, but am wondering where is both safe and warm.

My mom lives outside Guadalajara. She says there's violence (just like here in the States), but it's problematic only in specific locations, primarily in Chihuahua along the Texas border, Baja CA, Sinaloa and Michoacan. Eastern Mexico (Q. Roo, Yucatan, Campeche) has very little. Jalisco is probably in the middle, not too surprising since Guad is a metro area of some 4 million+.
buckyor
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Travel