MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, December 27, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 42.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Nashville & Memphis

We want to hear about your adventures, be they from Istanbul, Ixtapa or Ixonia. And hey, you might even find someone you can sell your extra Euros to.

Nashville & Memphis

Postby boston_jeff » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:39 am

Any foron recos for food and things to do?

Sun Studios and Grand Ole Opry are on there, but that's about it.

Thanks!
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Nashville & Memphis

Postby chainsawcurtis » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:51 am

Tom's BBQ on Getwell in Memphis. It's a house in the middle of an industrial park. My food radar made me stop there in '97. I hope it's still as good.
chainsawcurtis
Forum Addict

Postby Kenneth Burns » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:06 am

Nashville: If you like barbecue, Hog Heaven next to the Parthenon is reliable. It is a cinder block shack with a cartoon pig painted on it, so you know it's good. Meat and three dining at Rotier's is a favorite, or at Elliston Place Soda Shop, or at any of the Sylvan Parks. Wonderful breakfasts at the Loveless Cafe, which has gotten touristy but is still excellent. The hot chicken thing happened after I left Music City, but I know that Prince's is the place for that. Can't really speak to Nashville foodieism at all. I'm sure that somewhere you can get some really fancy, locally sourced grits.

The honkytonk scene on Lower Broad is wonderful. Top Nashville musicians, playing for tips. All free. Music pours out of every storefront. The Parthenon is diverting. My cousin sculpted the giant Athena. The Country Music Hall of Fame is spectacular. I adore the Grand Ole Opry in all its retro glory, but newcomers may be surprised to find how much of the show is performed by octogenarian stars.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:08 am

One more question: what district in Memphis to stay in?

Hotwire is showing me reasonable rates for Graceland, the airport (ugh), East and West. Downtown rates are upwards of $140 per night but at a 35% savings. I am willing to pay extra for a luxe hotel in a great location but I don't want to get screwed. Also, don't want to stay in an out-of-the-way/shitty place to save $75.

Please advise.

Nashville in 3 hours, Memphis tomorrow.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:11 am

Thanks Ken, when you have great affordable regional cuisine, the foodie-ism goes out the window. Our hotel is next to CM HoF so I am going, and will check out the Opry, but your food recos are spot on for what we want: hot chicken, meat and 3 and BBQ.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:45 am

If you're still looking for places to eat in Memphis, I totally recommend the Arcade Restaurant - every see Mystery Train by Jim Jarmusch? A portion of the movie was shot there. That being said, the food is pretty great and it's a great "good, local food" sort of place.

A quick google search turned up a recent AV Club write up of it - http://www.avclub.com/articles/memphis-arcade-restaurant-set-of-jim-jarmuschs-mys,56842/
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:14 am

The Arcade breakfasts are really good - I second the recommendation and wish I could get their sweet potato pancakes all the time. We ended up going to Charlie Vergos' Rendezvous for ribs and it wasn't bad but certainly didn't live up to my high expectations. I wanted to try Central BBQ but was overruled. I'd also recommend Earnestine & Hazel's for a great late night burger/dive bar spot. It's right across from the Arcade.

As for other attractions in Memphis I really enjoyed Sun Studios and the Gibson Guitar factory. The National Civil Rights museum at the Lorraine Hotel is good too, but there is a lot to see there and you might not have half a day to spend feeling kind of shitty. We also did the Rock & Soul museum and the Cotton Exchange and both were fine but a bit tame.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Maeve » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:57 pm

I haven't stayed there in years, but The Peabody in downtown Memphis was a classic old fashioned luxe hotel.
Maeve
Forum Addict

Postby boston_jeff » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:06 pm

Prince's is closed on Monday, so we tried Bolton's Hot Chicken. Really delicious--tried the breast plate with greens and potato salad and a leg sandwich between the two of us. Cinderblock shack, have to use a door knocker to get them to take your order, great mural of a a platter of chicken with flames emanating on side of building. My lips are still burning...

CM HoF right next store to our hotel, doing that and Broad Street, then Parthenon. Have to decide on meat and 3 or BBQ for dinner.

Still wondering about Memphis districts--any clues would be helpful. We are definitely doing Sun, Lorraine Hotel (Civil Rights Museum closed on Tues but I have to see the hotel), Gus' Chicken and Central BBQ, Beale. Hotel names are not given by hotwire until you book, so I guess I just need to know if I should spring for downtown or if other areas are as convenient. Thanks forons!
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:43 pm

Curious to hear what you make of the Parthenon.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:10 pm

We liked the Parthenon, its a very nice replica. The park surrounding it is also very beautiful. CM HoF is amazing, the Hank Williams exhibit alone is worth the price of admission. Had BBQ at Rippie's and listened to lots of great musicians on Broadway tonight. Finished the evening off with ice cream and Goo Goo Clusters to go.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:07 am

I love the Parthenon. Its allure is mysterious, hard to describe. A full-scale replica in Tennessee sandstone of Athens' ruined glory, a grand temple to a pagan deity -- what is it doing in the Bible-publishing hub that is Nashville? God, I love the Parthenon.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:13 am

I stayed downtown at the Day's Inn earlier this year. I believe we got two rooms for $135 per room per night, but it's been a while and I'm not positive on the cost. I do know the room was great and it had a wonderful view across the Mississippi, and it was a block or so from the trolley stop.

I've also stayed in West Memphis but I wouldn't exactly recommend Econolodging it.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:29 am

I would recommend paying a little extra and staying downtown. Unfortunately I can't remember where I stayed but I was within walking distance of Beale Street. You're gonna want to go down there at night as it turns into a bit of a party. Lot's of street performers and you can drink outside of the bars.

When I was there panhandling was a big issue. That was about 4 years ago so I don't know if things have changed.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby msnflyer » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:31 am

wallrock wrote:I stayed downtown at the Day's Inn earlier this year. I believe we got two rooms for $135 per room per night, but it's been a while and I'm not positive on the cost.

You can find cheap, somewhat sketchy rooms not too far from Graceland for $30/night. Wouldn't recommend roaming the neighborhood after dark.
msnflyer
Forum Addict

Next

Return to Travel