MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, September 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 70.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Austin, TX

We want to hear about your adventures, be they from Istanbul, Ixtapa or Ixonia. And hey, you might even find someone you can sell your extra Euros to.

Austin, TX

Postby boston_jeff » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:55 pm

Greetings forons, the wife and I are planning our first visit to Austin in a few weeks. Any suggestions on places to stay? Arboretum/MOPAC, North, Northwest, and South Austin are all cheaper, and downtown is way expensive. If I don't stay downtown will my trip suck? If not, what areas are cool?

Any help is appreciated. Since we live in DFW I don't really need lots of tips on where to go. We plan on visiting more than once, but if there's a "must-see" on your list let me know.

Thanks,
-Boston Jeff
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Austin, TX

Postby boston_jeff » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:16 pm

Bump. 95% going to Austin this weekend and want to save money on our hotel using Hotwire.

Can anyone here tell me where the best place to stay in Austin would be for us? What district/area would be best? Hotwire is not very helpful--so its hard to know what is where. I would like to check out the bats, where the music venues are, and food trucks. Any recos for city districts, hotels, restos or sites are also welcome.

Appreciate any help!
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:39 pm

The last time I was in Austin I stayed just off the UT campus since I was there for a conference. I wouldn't go for the place we stayed at which I believe was a Days Inn off I-35 near the hospital. It was fine for college kids but it was too rundown to recommend, unless it's been remodeled in the years since. The other time I was staying with my roommate's family out in the suburbs.

I really enjoyed the music on 6th Street but I believe the place I liked the most (Joe's Generic Bar) closed. I wish I would have spent more time seeing the city but the two times I was there we didn't get too far off the beaten path.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:57 pm

I expect the bats will have gone south by now. I think they usually return some time in March.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Crow » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:53 pm

Crow
Forum Addict

Postby boston_jeff » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:01 pm

Thanks-we got a place for $135 for 2 nights right near 6th Street. Good location but may be a bit loud and due to the low price I'm guessing its not the Ritz.

Frank looks great, we are also doing the Salt Lick for BBQ. Can't wait! Hoping to watch the Big 10 Championship game if anyone can reco a good sports bar. Any other last minute recos welcome! Go Badgers!!!
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Travel