MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, December 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 26.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Surprising spots ya, maybe, never heard of in Wisconsin

We want to hear about your adventures, be they from Istanbul, Ixtapa or Ixonia. And hey, you might even find someone you can sell your extra Euros to.

Re: Surprising spots ya, maybe, never heard of in Wisconsin

Postby Ducatista » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:41 am

gargantua wrote:Cool name though.

One of my favorites, even though (or maybe because) it doesn't sound quite as melodic as it looks. Up on the 45th it's pronounced pahn-uh-TUS-kee.

Same latitude where Antigo sounds like ANN-uh-go.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby doppel » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:24 am

The 50 foot high wall of wave impressions at Abelman's Gorge at Rock Springs. A day in life, 1.4 billion years ago. 10 minutes away is Pewitt's nest, a small, hikeable version of the Dells. 500 million year old rock, carved by water pressure 14,000 years ago. Pretty cool. The Blue Heron rookerie directly above the C.C. parking lot at Devil's Lake is awesome in the spring. Just 10 miles up from Pewitt's.

The absolute Bible (I dasn't say Koran) of Wisconsin geology is:

Roadside Geology of Wisconsin
by: Robert H Dott
John W. Attig
Mountain Press Publishing Company

Wisconsin's geologic heritage is rich and varied. It shapes our lives today. I highly recommend this book as traveling companion and bathroom reader. Geologic timescale is so immense, it takes more than one reading to really understand it.
doppel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:59 pm

Lulu Lake, near Eagle and East Troy:

http://www.wisconsinbirds.org/trail/sites/LuluLake.htm

Very high quality, unspoiled oak openings, a kettle lake, birds, reptiles, the whole works. Only an hour's drive from Madison.

http://www.nature.org/ourinitiatives/re ... eserve.xml

I love the whole Kettle Moraine.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:55 pm

kurt_w wrote:
green union terrace chair wrote:There's a roadside marker somewhere between Madison and Baraboo (on US-12) that talks about how, from that point, you can see some of the oldest exposed rock on the continent.

Well, that marker was set up in 1958, and geology has progressed a bit since then.

Why don't those signs automatically update like wikipedia??

kurt_w wrote:[Yes, I also went out of my way once to visit Poniatowski...]

I hope you got a t-shirt to commemorate the occasion.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:23 am

doppel wrote:The absolute Bible (I dasn't say Koran) of Wisconsin geology is:

Roadside Geology of Wisconsin
by: Robert H Dott
John W. Attig
Mountain Press Publishing Company

Wisconsin's geologic heritage is rich and varied. It shapes our lives today... Geologic timescale is so immense, it takes more than one reading to really understand it.

Doppel,
I just got a copy of Dott&Attig's book. Very nice, and thank you for directing me to it.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:46 am

I found this video take from high of Wisco amazing.
http://www.wptschedule.org/WFTA/
I found most of the sights familiar,
But the perspective was not.
The video capture from the hills of the drift-less area blew me away. 
The Tiffany Stone Bridge stands out as a gem to seek.
Nice work WPT.
It was all awesome, I plan to watch this over & over.
It shocks me to think what could have been captured with more than one week to collect this data.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:06 am

Hey, thanks for the link. I just watched the trailer and it's strangely absorbing.

A somewhat similar thing is the low-altitude aerial photography done by Madison's Craig Wilson, using cameras suspended from kites. His work has been shown here and there around town, and I think featured on WPT too. You've probably seen his photos looking down on ice-boats on Lake Monona, or the woman with the badger on her head on the capitol dome.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:19 am

I watched it during the pledge drive last night. I was surprised at how much of the state I've seen. My perspective has typically been at ground level, so the aerial views were breathtaking.
Madison lakes looked uncharacteristically blue. I wonder if they used a special filter to get that effect.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Canoe_Convoy » Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:00 pm

[code][/code]As a Battlestar Galactica fan, I was amused to find Cylon, Wisconsin. http://www.city-data.com/city/Cylon-Wisconsin.html
Canoe_Convoy

Postby JoeT » Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:08 pm

Here's a spot that I find rather fascinating, especially if you're intrigued as I am, by the perplexing political philosophy of Thomas Jefferson. If you wander over to Forest Hill Cemetery you will find none other than Thomas Jefferson’s son with Sally Hemings: Eston Hemings Jefferson. Eston was a slave who was freed along with his brother Madison and his mother Sally after Jefferson died in 1826. For a time they lived in Charlottesville. There, Eston married Julia Ann Isaacs, the daughter of a German Jewish merchant and a free black woman. Around 1837 Eston moved with his family to Ohio where he was known as quite the musician. With passage of the Fugitive Slave Act of 1850, the Hemings family became concerned that they might be kidnapped and sold into slavery. They wound up in, of all places, Madison.

At the time their last name was still Hemings but in Madison they changed it to Jefferson and tried to blend in with the white residents. Eston and Julia had three children. John Wayles was a white officer during the civil war and later moved to Memphis. The daughter, Anna married Albert Pearson; their son Walter became president of the American Screw Company. The youngest child, Beverly, also served in the civil war, ran several hotels in Madison and founded the Jefferson omnibus service. In 1998, DNA from a descendent of Eston Jefferson was used to tie the Hemings family to the Jeffersons.

Below are photos I took of the grave stones in Forest Hill:
JoeT

Postby Mad Howler » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:42 am

JoeT,
Was that from the script of the Forest Hill historical thing this fall?
I missed it this time 'round.
MH
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:22 am

Joe, thanks for posting that. I was vaguely aware of the Hemmings/Jefferson story but had no idea of the Madison connection.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby JoeT » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:04 am

MH, No it's my own script. I didn't even know there was a Forest Hill thing. Actually if you have any details post them here -- I think it would be rather fascinating.

Kurt, A few years ago, being quite intrigued by Jefferson, Madison and Washington, I went with my family down to Monticello and Montpelier (home of James Madison) where I learned more about Sally Hemings and became intrigued with the story of Eston's journey to Madison, WI. We even went to Charlottesville to find roughly the location where Eston lived with his mother and where Julia Isaacs lived --- the Jewish connection was also fascinating to me. Thomas Jefferson apparently had no problem with enslaving his own son --- a son who could move to Madison and pass for white by the way. He could also write garbage about blacks being at the level of orangutans and hypothesized that the color of their skin was due to the color of their blood (had he really never seen a slave bleed?). Yet, he could write the Virginia Statute for Religious Freedom -- one of the most important documents in history. Such were the contradictions of the man.
JoeT

Postby Mad Howler » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:27 pm

JoeT wrote:MH, No it's my own script. I didn't even know there was a Forest Hill thing. Actually if you have any details post them here -- I think it would be rather fascinating.

http://www.wisvetsmuseum.com/educators/CemeteryTour/

Erika Janik might be someone interesting (& who is intellectually curious) to discuss your work with.

The 'Cemetery Tour', in my experience, has touched mostly our Wisc experience in the civil war. This narrative seems too narrow to me - could be even richer/deeper. Thank you for sharing something relevant (to me, at least). Obviously Forest Hill has many lessons to share, if we do the work & ask 'relevant' questions of ourselves.
MH
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Travel