MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Wednesday, September 17, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 40.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

What, nobody reads anymore?

What books, zines or other pulp are you reading? What aren't you reading? What should everyone else read?

Postby Kenneth Burns » Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:07 pm

I've been reading William Shirer's The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich since Jan. 2. I'm on page 1,091.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jammybastard » Sun Apr 08, 2007 4:45 pm

Tony Visconti: the Autobiography: Bowie, Bolan and the Brooklyn Boy
by Morrissey (Foreword), Tony Visconti
jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Oprah » Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:09 pm

I.

Stephen Dixon
Oprah
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:13 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:...the next book I plan to read is Hitchhiking from Vietnam: Seeking the Ox by Richard Chamberlin. Why? Because I'm in it. Find out who the real Henry Vilas is by buying it when it comes out next month. I'm in chapter 24.

Got a copy in the mail today from RC. Don't know if the book is available locally yet, but Amazon is selling it.

"Poignant, searching, gritty, and revealing, this balls-out memoir of a Vietnam vet captures not only a time period, but the eternal quest for meaning. I highly recommend Chamberlin's book."
-Matthew Rothschild, Editor, The Progressive Magazine
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rezin » Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:38 am

i finished Sex Lives of Cannibals recently. it's a travel book but i thought it was pretty interesting. it's a story of guy who moves to an atoll to live for 2 years while his wife works for the government there. not very deep but entertaining.

next up is The Devil's Picnic
rezin
Forum Addict

Postby Integral » Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:06 pm

I read voraciously.

I am currently reading Umberto Eco's Name of the Rose (which I am enjoying heartily), 120 Days of Sodom by de Sade (struggling to get through the fetishization of excrement-eating), Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds by Charles Mackay, and several books on soap-making and bicycle repair/maintenance. Next up will most likely be Philosophies of India by Heinrich Zimmer and Fitzgerald's This Side of Paradise, as I've recently acquired a copy and have read most of his other stuff. I also have a copy of Dianetics I've been meaning to read, but it seems that every time I sit down to do so, I suddenly feel the bile rising in the back of my throat, and so I end up abandoning it in favor of more pleasant material, or, at least, a less offensive form of quackery.

I read a lot of comics, as well. I recently read Batman: Hush, which was mostly tolerable. I'm about to read [i]American Born Chinese,[i] about which I've heard good things.
Integral

Postby blunt » Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:17 pm

Yo, Int:
your post strikes me that, if you like Name of the Rose, you may like The Last Witchfinder by James Morrow which I am still blabbing about weeks after finishing it. Every sentence is linguilicious!
I am also still in awe of and hand out paperback copies like religous tracts of: Foucalt's Pendulum by Eco.
Every single occult branch and conspiracy theory wrapped up to go like literary commuter burrito. Mmmm!
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Integral » Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:57 pm

Awesome, thanks, blunt, for the recommendations. I put a copy of The Last Witchfinder on hold at the library. I have been meaning to read Foucault's Pendulum for a long time, but for some reason I've never gotten around to it. I put that one on hold, as well. I've read plenty of (too much) Michel Foucault, but it seems as though the book title might be more a reference to Leon's experiment (though from what I understand, the balance of power theme might be right up Michel's alley), which is good news for me. In any case, I'm excited. I like burritos.
Integral

Postby Kenneth Burns » Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:17 pm

I read chick lit.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:48 pm

I'm re-reading Pauline Kael's For Keeps. I have most of her separate volumes of criticism as well, but it's kinda nice having so much of it in one place.

I don't think she quite qualifies as 'chick lit,' however. In fact, I imagine she is spinning in her grave at the very thought.

Most of my posture of snide erudition is cribbed shamelessly from Pauline. I only wish I could be half as withering in my scorn as she was.

Just read her review of El Topo last night. GenieU, you should really track it down - I think you'd enjoy it.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Wed May 02, 2007 2:59 pm

The President, the Pope, and the Prime Minister: Three Who Changed the World by John O'Sullivan.

Excellent read.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Wed May 02, 2007 4:26 pm

Marvell wrote:I'm re-reading Pauline Kael's For Keeps. I have most of her separate volumes of criticism as well, but it's kinda nice having so much of it in one place.

I don't think she quite qualifies as 'chick lit,' however. In fact, I imagine she is spinning in her grave at the very thought.

Most of my posture of snide erudition is cribbed shamelessly from Pauline. I only wish I could be half as withering in my scorn as she was.

Just read her review of El Topo last night. GenieU, you should really track it down - I think you'd enjoy it.

It's from Kael that I picked up the bad habit of overusing parentheses. (Usually I catch myself doing it in time, but not always.) But seriously, she's long been one of my favorite writers. In high school I picked up a copy of Taking It All In, and there was no looking back.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby harrissimo » Fri May 18, 2007 6:38 am

I am currently reading 2 books.

How To Be Idle - A Loafer's Manifesto by Tom Hodgkinson is about the fine art of doing nothing. This is something I am very familiar with. Creative laziness I call it.

The other book I am reading is Celebration by Harry Crews. I bought 3 Harry Crews books at a thrift store last week. He has a very sick & decadent view of the universe. I love it.

I highly recommend both of these books.

Next on my list is a book written by Lenny Bruce's wife. I have been revisiting Lenny Bruce. One of my heros.
harrissimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby buckyor » Fri May 18, 2007 4:10 pm

I'm currently reading Freakonomics, which is interesting. Generally it's about the application of statistical methods to some unusual questions. Not sure I agree with all of the conclusions that the authors make, but it is worth a read.

Previously I read Politics Lost, by Joe Klein. Now I know why everyone considers him a wanker. He has some interesting thoughts in the book, perhaps enough to fill a newspaper column, but his point is really that politics is becoming dominated by the "experts". Joke Line sees no irony in this position, perhaps because irony was drowned in the bathtub earlier during the current administration.
buckyor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby northwoods_babe » Fri May 18, 2007 4:27 pm

World War Z

Zombies, the end of the world, written by Mel Brooks' son.

What could be better?
northwoods_babe

PreviousNext

Return to Books