MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, December 27, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 35.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

So what are you reading?

What books, zines or other pulp are you reading? What aren't you reading? What should everyone else read?

Re: So what are you reading?

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:33 am

Please Kill Me The Uncensored Oral History of Punk. I'm about a quarter the way through and it's a great read. Highly recommended if anyone is interested in the birth of the punk scene. I'll say this, Iggy Pop is one fucked up dude.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby city2countrygal » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:24 pm

Anyone catch Jonah Lehrer on "Last Call with Carson Daly" this weekend? Link: http://www.nbc.com/last-call-with-carson-daly/video/jonah-lehrer/1400840

Man, that dude is smart for his age. I just got his last book,
How We Decide, because it was $10 cheaper and opened with
a quote from DeLillo, so I took that as a sign. Then I read the intro before bed and had a nightmare my luggage got lost on a flight. Anywho, I’m wondering how Imagine is, anyone read it yet? Díky!
city2countrygal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:41 am

The audio version of Istanbul Passage by Joseph Kanon; a nice, kind of traditional Cold War thriller.

Light & Shade : Conversations with Jimmy Page by Brad Tolinski
and
Hendrix on Hendrix : Interviews and Encounters with Jimi Hendrix edited by Steven Roby

If I get assigned about one more dino-rocker bio, I'm going to quit this reviewing gig. The Page is pretty good; very little about Crowley and the occult and a lot about Page's technical virtuosity both on guitar and in the studio. Lots of interesting stuff about Bonzo. The Hendrix is... more of the same. He's a god. Still. 340+ more pages say what can only be said in so many ways but keeps being said nonetheless.
scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:57 am

Detritus wrote:Just finished The Long Earth by Stephen Baxter and Terry Pratchett. Madison plays a central part in the book, which is science fiction imagining the "many worlds" concept in physics.

Hmm, hmm, interested in hearing what other people think of the portrayal of Madison, which is based on the authors' wanderings during a convention here one summer.

You talked me into spending three times the usual amount I spend for an ebook. Which is not a first but it is the first time I've thought, after finishing, "I don't regret spending that much on an ebook."

I thought they did a good job on the local geography. In the credits they thank two people for the "unreasonable amount of time" spent showing them "Madison both primeval and modern" so it sounds like they spent most of that convention on a guided tour. And it shows.

I liked it. Liked the way they they treated Madison, the concept of the long earth, and the portrayal of modern pioneers.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:35 pm

rabble wrote:You talked me into spending three times the usual amount I spend for an ebook. Which is not a first but it is the first time I've thought, after finishing, "I don't regret spending that much on an ebook."

Tell me about it. There's a lot to be figured out on e-book pricing....

I thought they did a good job on the local geography. In the credits they thank two people for the "unreasonable amount of time" spent showing them "Madison both primeval and modern" so it sounds like they spent most of that convention on a guided tour. And it shows.

I liked it. Liked the way they they treated Madison, the concept of the long earth, and the portrayal of modern pioneers.

Yeah, I liked it pretty well. There were a few things that didn't quite ring true--some phrases that seemed more British than Upper Midwest--and in the beginning it felt like some of the place name mentions were gratuitous. But it's an intriguing premise, and I would definitely read a second book. A lot was left unresolved, and there were a number of interesting characters that weren't given a lot to do. I could see picking up the story from the point of another character.

It didn't feel much like a Pratchett novel, though. I wonder how involved he was?
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:06 am

Detritus wrote:Just read two books by Candace Millard, one of Teddy Roosevelt's nearly fatal trip down the Amazon (The River of Doubt: Theodore Roosevelt's Darkest Journey) and the other about the assassination of James Garfield (Destiny of the Republic: A Tale of Madness, Medicine, and the Murder of a President).

GMTA, apparently.

I read the sample of the Garfield book and have it on my Kindle to buy and read eventually. Sounds excellent.

I read the sample of the Miller book and it seemed OK but didn't really grab me. What it did do was get me to download Roosevelt's own account of the trip "Through the Brazilian Wilderness" Free for Kindle at Amazon and Gutenberg. I think it may also be a free Librivox audio book as well.

Roosevelt was a pretty accomplished writer and the book is excellent.

I had not realized his fondness for snakes and he goes on at some length about them. At a snake research facility he tells of handling a highly poisonous snake that crawls up his sleeve and makes itself comfortable in his shirt.

Their bite is quickly fatal, he tells us. But they seldom bite.

I got the heebie jeebies just reading it.

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:21 am

johnfajardohenry wrote:I read the sample of the Garfield book and have it on my Kindle to buy and read eventually. Sounds excellent.

I read the sample of the Miller book and it seemed OK but didn't really grab me. What it did do was get me to download Roosevelt's own account of the trip "Through the Brazilian Wilderness" Free for Kindle at Amazon and Gutenberg. I think it may also be a free Librivox audio book as well.

Roosevelt was a pretty accomplished writer and the book is excellent.

The Garfield one is better written than the Roosevelt one, no question about it. Millard is improving with time, which is good, but like Roosevelt's expedition, her telling of it wanders after a while. Roosevelt tells his tales better than anyone, although of course it's usually a heroic tale, with him as hero. But when I was small & living in Texas, I read a lot of books by the early naturalists (19th & 20th century folks), and I remember reading a vivid description of how coyotes hunt that Roosevelt had written.

The McKinley book is mostly interesting for its depiction of the Anarchists of the time, which I was coincidentally also reading about in another book, The Day Wall Street Exploded by Beverley Gage. That one is another step downward in writing, and rather frustrating in its refusal even to speculate on who set off the bomb in front of Morgan's brokerage in 1920. The opening chapters are well done, but the rest of the book doesn't live up to them.

One annoying thing about Kindle books: no pictures, or not very good ones. All four of these books have photos and illustrations that aren't in the Kindle version.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:07 am

Detritus wrote:One annoying thing about Kindle books: no pictures, or not very good ones. All four of these books have photos and illustrations that aren't in the Kindle version.

Are you the Fire or the black and white?

I think as a pure reader the B&W was superior and there are certain features abut the Fire (glare, carousel) that annoy me.

The Fire does do an excellent job with pictures and maps though, in my experience. My only real objection to the B&W was that in histories with maps, the maps were often extremely hard to see.
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:14 am

For those with Kindles, if you are not using Send to Reader, you should.

www.sendtoreader.com

This is a little app for Firefox and other browsers that puts a button on your toolbar. Find an article on the web that you like? Click the button and it emails it to your Kindle after stripping out all the ads. Most pictures from the article will come through.

I also, via STR, subscribe to "Give me something to read". This sends a file with 1-4 articles 4-5 times a week. I think it is supposed to be daily but they seem to miss sometimes.

It is a very eclectic mix. Last night I got caught up on some back issues and read about:

The Alleppo Codex (NY Time Magazine)
World's strongest Man contest (ESPN?)
A missing chess champion
Yucca Flats

I find about 1/3 to 1/2 of the articles worth reading all the way through.

A similar program is Pocket with the additional advantage that you can access the article anywhere including your phone or another computer.

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:31 pm

I can feel my Blackness growing already.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:33 pm

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card Published in 1985. Is this the first reference to Internet Sock-puppetry in literature? Very relevant in 2012. Give it a read.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:43 pm

I recently finished Kings of Cool, the prequel to Don Winslow's Savages. I just hope that Oliver Stone doesn't make it into a movie, as his film version of Savages did not do justice to the book.

Next up, Winslow's The Gentlemen's Hour.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:33 pm

Have we already mentioned Keith Richards bio, "Life"?

Satisfying on a number of levels -- he gives in-depth background stories about the earlier albums, talking about his use of different tunings and only five strings; spins tales of debauchery and drugs; details his relationships with the other band members including, of course, Jagger (who does not come off well, ultimately); describes his relationship with Gram Parsons, which shines through in songs of that period; and gives a glimpse into a surprising and touching reunion with his father, who leaves the impression the apple did not fall far from the tree.

This one is SO much better reading than Dylan's bio, which I found hopelessly solipsistic.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:06 am

fisticuffs wrote:Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card Published in 1985. Is this the first reference to Internet Sock-puppetry in literature? Very relevant in 2012. Give it a read.

Good call. I am a very big fan of OSC, although the Ender's series goes on and on. If you haven't already read it you might enjoy Pastwatch by OSC, I found it to be an interesting fictional parrallel to Howard Zinn's "A People's History of the United States: 1492 to Present."
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:39 am

Howard Sounes, Down the Highway: The Life of Bob Dylan. I wanted to read a Dylan bio, and this is the only one I could find for the Nook.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Books