MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Sunday, December 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 31.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

So what are you reading?

What books, zines or other pulp are you reading? What aren't you reading? What should everyone else read?

Re: So what are you reading?

Postby keelio » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:33 pm

snoqueen wrote:Sustainable Landscape Construction by J. William Thompson and Kim Sorvig.

This one (their second edition -- the first edition came out in 2000) strikes a balance between practicality and visionary ideas. Lots of detail about cool stuff like LED's in landscaping (how about hundreds of little low-voltage twinkle lights in your landscape instead of spotlights?), detail about the dark sky and silent landscape movements, interesting uses of water, use (or avoidance) of environmentally polluting materials, the effect of landscaping on other species, and the movement back toward hand labor in quality landscape maintenance in preference to environmentally questionable machinery.

Just out of curiosity - are you reading this for general interest or professional interest? I have the first edition on my bookshelf, along with a litany of other sustainable landscape design reading, to keep me sharp career-wise. If you're in a design field, it's good to see a focus on this. If not a design professional, very cool choice of reading material!
keelio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:57 pm

I'm a design professional but not a landscaper, so it's really for personal interest. I love technical stuff.

The reason I picked it up was I am making a bird sanctuary in my back yard, but it turned out to be a lot more wide-ranging and interesting than I'd expected. I'm glad someone else likes this book too.

I'm one of these people who can't make myself read fiction more than once every couple years, and I read technical and scientific material for recreation.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Walter » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:30 am

Maverick Military Leaders: The Extraordinary Battles of Washington, Nelson, Patton, Rommel, and Others by Robert Harvey

I don't read no sissy beach books.
Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby keelio » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:11 am

snoqueen wrote:...The reason I picked it up was I am making a bird sanctuary in my back yard, but it turned out to be a lot more wide-ranging and interesting than I'd expected. I'm glad someone else likes this book too.

I was up at the MREA Energy Fair over the weekend and caught a couple workshops on permaculture, inspiring me to pick up a couple books on the topic: "Gaia's Garden" and "Introduction to Permaculture". Gaia's Garden has a ton of ideas for small scale, backyard permaculture - including ideas on ecologically sound landscape design to share your space with birds, beneficial insects, wildlife. There's a line I won't cross...yet...what I mean to say is that I won't be selecting perennials for the garden due to the quality of leaves for use in lieu of toilet tissue.
keelio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:49 am

I've been dipping into the Sherlock Holmes stories for the umpteenth time for my summer reading pleasure.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby c02 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:12 am

Ghandi.
c02
Forum Addict

Postby bdog » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:25 am

Just finished "The Passage", Justin Cronin's much hyped "vampire" book - thought it was about 300 pages too long...and only the first book in a trilogy.

Now - "The Septembers of Shiraz" (fiction) about a family whose lives change in the wake of the Iranian revolution.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Boshie » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:25 pm

Fiction and non-fiction. I just finished the non-fiction 'Murder City' by Charles Bowden. He chronicles a year of murder and mayhem that sits at our back doorstep, border town Ciudad Juarez. Gruesome, nightmarish, heart-wrenching tales of the senseless violence, brutality, corruption, rape, torture and murder that ranks our Mexican border town (right across from El Paso) as the most violent place on earth. President Calderon's crackdown in 2006 spurred it on, but now it has a life of it's own. It points a mirror back at the U.S. and our insatiable appetite for the drugs that foment the violence. And then we build a wall to keep them out.

On a lighter note, I finished Carl Hiaasen's 'Skinny Dip", about botched attempted murder and illegal environmental degradation in the Florida Everglades. Very fun, easy read.
Boshie

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:38 pm

Savages by Don Winslow. A novel about the Mexican drug cartels infiltration into Southern California's marijuana trade. A much more unvarnished examination than his The Death And Life of Bobby Z. Oliver Stone is currently turning it into a movie. I'm only about halfway through, but I predict the book will be much better than the flick (as is usually the case).
Last edited by Henry Vilas on Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:37 pm

Sally Bedell Smith, In All His Glory: the Life and Times of William S. Paley and the Birth of Modern Broadcasting
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:10 pm

I recently received Steve Paulson's Atoms & Eden as a premium for the fall WPR pledge drive. I went for interviews with Dawkins and Harris first as I recalled enjoying their segments on TTBOOK most of all, and I was not disappointed. I'm interested to see if I respond to the interviews with the religious subjects more in print than I did previously via the radio program.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ryanj0 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:32 pm

Think and Grow Rich: A Black Choice by Dennis Kimbro. I find although this book is geared towards minorities, it offers great insight for all.
ryanj0

Postby chainsawcurtis » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:54 pm

Steven King's Misery. Shudder....
chainsawcurtis
Forum Addict

Postby mayact4 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:59 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Savages by Don Winslow. A novel about the Mexican drug cartels infiltration into Southern California's marijuana trade. A much more unvarnished examination than his The Death And Life of Bobby Z. Oliver Stone is currently turning it into a movie. I'm only about halfway through, but I predict the book will be much better than the flick (as is usually the case).

Have you read Winslow's California Fire and Life? It's my hands-down favorite of his.
mayact4
Forum Addict

Postby BrianV66 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:32 pm

Just finished The Lonely Polygamist by Brady Udall

Funny, sad, enjoyable

Also read The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins to decide if my 10 year-old should be allowed to read it.

Pretty good YA material, pretty violent and it bogs down in the middle a bit, but altogether good stuff.
BrianV66

PreviousNext

Return to Books