MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Sunday, December 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 31.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

So what are you reading?

What books, zines or other pulp are you reading? What aren't you reading? What should everyone else read?

Re: So what are you reading?

Postby uwstudent » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:44 am

Game of thrones books.
uwstudent
Forum Addict

Postby Kenneth Burns » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:00 pm

Nicole LaPorte, The Men Who Would Be King: An Almost Epic Tale of Moguls, Movies, and a Company Called DreamWorks
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby SlideSF » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:20 pm

On the second part of Eduardo Galeano's Memory of Fire trilogy, Faces and Masks. It is a historical portrait of the Americas, North, South, and Central, written as a series of short sketches. The first part, Genesis, deals with creation myths, indigenous societies, and first contact with Europeans up through the 17th Century. the Second part, Faces and Masks, which I am in the middle of, treats with the 18th and 19th Centuries, the last part, Century of the Wind, deals with the 20th Century.

Memoria del fuego (Memory of Fire) is a three-volume narrative of the history of America, North and South. The characters are historical figures; generals, artists, revolutionaries, workers, conquerors and the conquered, who are portrayed in brief episodes which reflect the colonial history of the continent. It starts with pre-Columbian creation myths and ends in the 1980s. It highlights not only the colonial oppression that the continent underwent but particularly the long history of resistance, from individual acts of heroism to mass revolutionary movements.

-Wikipedia

I am finding it fascinating, well-written, and highly informative, especially considering this Norteamericano's somewhat typical ignorance of almost everything that has happened South of the Rio Grande.

Dust Jacket kudos from some of my favorites such as Doris Lessing and John Berger.
SlideSF

Postby Marvell » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:57 am

It's funny you should bring it up - I was talking with my pal Dave about Memories of Fire just the other night.

If nothing else it will give you a visceral sense of the horrific magnitude of the Potosi Mine.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:29 pm

Rin Tin Tin, the Life and the Legend by Susan Orlean
&
A Perfect Haze: the Illustrated History of the Monterey International Pop Festival by Harvey Kubernik and Kenneth Kubernik
scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby SlideSF » Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:31 am

Marvell wrote:It's funny you should bring it up - I was talking with my pal Dave about Memories of Fire just the other night.

If nothing else it will give you a visceral sense of the horrific magnitude of the Potosi Mine.

Certainly that; but I think a whole lot more. I have already learned a lot about the French involvement in South America, the creation of Uruguay, uprisings by indigenous South American people, cultural affairs in 19th Century Bolivia - hell, even some of the doings of Sam Houston in pre-statehood Texas that I was previously unaware of.

Really a great read.
SlideSF

Postby Galoot » Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:12 am

I'm finishing The Lantern Bearers, Rosemary Sutcliff's third book in her Roman Britons trilogy. The other two are The Eagle of the Ninth, and The Silver Branch.

She does a wonderful job in this third book of telling a story about the beginning of the Dark Ages in Britain, and the wars between the Celtic Britons (allied with some remaining Roman Britons) and the Anglo-Saxon invaders.
Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:19 am

Just finished Frank Brady, Endgame: Bobby Fischer's Remarkable Rise and Fall - from America's Brightest Prodigy to the Edge of Madness. The guy was a mess.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Petro » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:17 pm

Just picked up the Steve Jobs biography. I need to quickly read it before every interesting anecdote is posted on blogs.
Petro
Forum Addict

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:06 pm

Petro wrote:Just picked up the Steve Jobs biography. I need to quickly read it before every interesting anecdote is posted on blogs.

You mean St. Steve and how he wanted to take down google.com over Android, even if it meant bankrupting Apple?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Petro » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:53 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:You mean St. Steve and how he wanted to take down google.com over Android, even if it meant bankrupting Apple?

That's certainly been one of the most popular anecdotes.
Petro
Forum Addict

Postby minicat » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:01 am

Over a long weekend (lots of travel time):

A Morbid Taste for Bones by Ellis Peters
American Gods by Neil Gaiman
Finders Keepers by Geoffrey Homes (aka Daniel Mainwaring)
Swords of Lankhmar by Fritz Leiber
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:21 am

Just finished Game of Thrones on my iPhone. 3167 short pages of it. Switching to paperback for Clash of Kings.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby peripat » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:02 am

Currently re reading two series. Dorothy Dunnett's Lymond books (serious swashbuckling in 16th century Scotland) and the George R R Martin Wild Card series (the alien virus hit in the 40s)
peripat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby city2countrygal » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:12 pm

Are any forons reading Michael Pollan's Food Rules? I saw him on The Colbert Report plugging it and it looked good.

However, I'm reading In Defense of Food right now (the Penguin paperback) and find it very poorly edited: paragraphs are over one page long, bad hyphenation, and many more things that annoy me when I'm reading for pleasure. Last night I put it down because I was frustrated with it, or maybe I was just tired. How is Food Rules?
city2countrygal
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Books