MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 2, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 64.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

So what are you reading?

What books, zines or other pulp are you reading? What aren't you reading? What should everyone else read?

Re: So what are you reading?

Postby scratch » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:45 am

Just finished
Feast Day of Fools by James Lee Burke: Preacher Jack Collins is back and as evil as ever
Here Comes Trouble: Michael Moore's autobio
Prince : Inside the Music and the Masks by Ronin Ro
&
Fear and Loathing at Rolling Stone, a Hunter S. Thompson anthology
scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Walter » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:56 am

My wife bought me "The Limit: Life and Death on the 1961 Grand Prix Circuit" by Michael Cannell and I couldn't put it down.

Even if you don't like motorsports, it's a great book.

Cool cover, too.

Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby peripat » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:39 pm

Love is a Dog From Hell, Charles Bukowski. Don't know why I haven't read his poetry before
peripat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:54 pm

Tom Swift and His Airship. It's not just as bad as I remember from my childhood--it's worse.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:49 pm

My brother just lent me Alan Lomax: The Man Who Recorded the World, a bio by John Szwed who previously covered Sun Ra and Miles Davis. I've read a bunch about Lomax (and his dad) over the years, so I'm looking forward to digging into this book.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Violet_Skye » Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:30 pm

The Psychopath Test by Jon Ronson. Next on deck is Blood, Bones & Butter: The Inadvertent Education of a Reluctant Chef by Gabrielle Hamilton.
Violet_Skye
Forum God/Goddess

Postby L_White » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:32 am

If Love is a Game, These are the Rules
Collected Works of N. Hawthorne
L_White

Postby Lily » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:04 pm

uwstudent wrote:Robert Heinlein

You can NEVER go wrong reading RH or Isaac.
Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:29 am

The Leopard by Jo Nesbo. More great creepy crime fic from Norway,
scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:44 am

Recently read:
" Bonk" by Mary Roach - I am learning much about sex research!

" The Magician King" by Lev Grossman - if you have any kind of interest in fantasy as well as fun-to-read writing, this is a great one!

Coming up:

"The Best Non-Required Reading 2011" edited by Dave Eggars - not exactly brain-busting, but this yearly edition is always a very fun read

"11/22/63" by Stephen King - someone gave it to me for Xmas and I have really liked his last couple books, so I'm looking forward to it.

"The Great Night" by Chris Aidrian - I really loved the last book I read by this guy ("The Children's Hospital") so though the description doesn't sound amazing, I'm guessing I'll like this.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Lily » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:49 am

I don't know about the statistics but I'm always reading at least two books. Sometimes work related (I can find most of that on line) but more often for personal pleasure.

I highly recommend "Destiny of the Republic" by Candice Millard. It's about the short Presidential term of James Garfield. Yeah, I know, no one knows who he is. We lost a lot with the murder of that President by a madman. He would have moved our Country in a very different direction, advancing the status of African Americans far beyond what Lincoln ever envisioned. Very insightful look on lack of medical care and lack of protection for the President in those days. It's also a tale of how the folly's of Washington D.C. are, unfortunately, relevant today.

I'd also recommend another book by a MADISON author. I'm not much into vampire books (other than the original Dracula) but I was listening to the author speaking on radio and just had to check his book out. "Vampire Cabbie." He's a cab driver for Union Cab! They say to write about what you know... It's written by Fred Schepartz. Well done Fred! I'm not halfway through your book and have already had a nightmare. I can't read Steven King either so please consider that a compliment.
Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Abdul » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:37 pm

"Forged, Why the Bible's Authors are Not Who We Think They Are" [/b]by Bart Erhman. Another book from Biblical scholar Ehrman who recaps evidence about many of the forged books in the New Tesitment. It is a great discussion of why the Bible may be a great book for spiritual guidance but taking it literally as the word of God is downright dumb.

It is well written as are his other books "Jesus Interrupted" and "Jesus Misquoted"
Abdul

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:39 pm

Lily wrote:I'd also recommend another book by a MADISON author. I'm not much into vampire books (other than the original Dracula) but I was listening to the author speaking on radio and just had to check his book out. "Vampire Cabbie." He's a cab driver for Union Cab! They say to write about what you know... It's written by Fred Schepartz. Well done Fred! I'm not halfway through your book and have already had a nightmare. I can't read Steven King either so please consider that a compliment.

He's not the only Union cabbie who has published works. Alan Ruff (a sometimes contributor to this forum) not only drives for Union, but has a PhD in history and has written a few books. Another one is Rich Chamberlin, an old friend and former shipmate when we were in the Navy. I've hyped his book before and will shamelessly do it again (especially since I'm mentioned in it.)
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Maeve » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:48 pm

At Half Price Books today I saw a CD by Union Cab drivers I should've got. Purchased The Devious Book for Cats by Fluffy & Bonkers. Currently reading 20 Letters to a Friend by Svetlana Alliluyeva, Stalin's daughter who recently died in Richland Center, of all places.
Maeve
Forum Addict

Postby Lily » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:50 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
Lily wrote:I'd also recommend another book by a MADISON author. I'm not much into vampire books (other than the original Dracula) but I was listening to the author speaking on radio and just had to check his book out. "Vampire Cabbie." He's a cab driver for Union Cab! They say to write about what you know... It's written by Fred Schepartz. Well done Fred! I'm not halfway through your book and have already had a nightmare. I can't read Steven King either so please consider that a compliment.

He's not the only Union cabbie who has published works. Alan Ruff (a sometimes contributor to this forum) not only drives for Union, but has a PhD in history and has written a few books. Another one is Rich Chamberlin, an old friend and former shipmate when we were in the Navy. I've hyped his book before and will shamelessly do it again (especially since I'm mentioned in it.)

Shamelessly? Please, indulge us with names and titles of Madison authors!! At the very least, we should keep these folks stocked in our library.
Lily
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Books