MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, September 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 69.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

STUFF I SHOULD READ BUT STILL HAVEN’T

What books, zines or other pulp are you reading? What aren't you reading? What should everyone else read?

STUFF I SHOULD READ BUT STILL HAVEN’T

Postby blunt » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:26 am

The Infinite Jest (ok, I read about a third) ((nice job, minicat))
The Great Gatsby
Moby Dick
Garvity's Rainbow
Ulysess
The instructions for my cell phone
blunt
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 8246
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2001 6:19 pm
Location: Right behind you.

Re: STUFF I SHOULD READ BUT STILL HAVEN’T

Postby Velvet Coffin » Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:03 pm

Dear world,

I haven't read The Kite Runner or Life of Pi yet. Get off my back.

Love,

Velour Casket
Velvet Coffin
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 153
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:59 pm
Location: Raymond and McKenna

Re: STUFF I SHOULD READ BUT STILL HAVEN’T

Postby Velvet Coffin » Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:53 pm

OH YEAH. And Jonathan Safran Foer. The time has arrived when hating on Foer is finally hip, but I was at the forefront of this movement. Read page 1 of Everything is Illuminated, shot that sucker across the room, haven't opened it since.

Usually I love modern urban fiction by New York's Bright Young Things. But not this guy. I harbor some guilt for that, since otherwise handsome and good-hearted people have informed me how wrong I am.
Velvet Coffin
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 153
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:59 pm
Location: Raymond and McKenna

Re: STUFF I SHOULD READ BUT STILL HAVEN’T

Postby minicat » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:12 pm

Yeah, blunt, you should make an effort to get through Jest and Gravity's Rainbow. I definitely feel like I "got" Infinite Jest a bit more, but probably liked Rainbow more overall, other than the fact that it seemed like it was written to be difficult for the sake of being difficult. I thought Jest was that way at first, but it gets easier to read as you go along.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 4474
Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2002 2:22 pm

Re: STUFF I SHOULD READ BUT STILL HAVEN’T

Postby minicat » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:14 pm

PS ... you can skip Gatsby. It sucks.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 4474
Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2002 2:22 pm

Re: STUFF I SHOULD READ BUT STILL HAVEN’T

Postby jjoyce » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:09 pm

The Bible.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 12168
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2001 4:48 pm
Location: Madison, WI

Re: STUFF I SHOULD READ BUT STILL HAVEN’T

Postby crevice beatle » Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:39 am

Slaughter House Five (or anything else by Vonnegut)
Jitterbug Perfume (or anything else by Robbins)
On the Road (or anything else by Bukowski)

Just looking at that short list shocks me. I'm admitedly not much of a book worm...but I do my fair share of reading - I think if someone told me they never read anything by those three authors, I would assume they don't read anything beyond TV guide.
crevice beatle
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 345
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:40 am

Re: STUFF I SHOULD READ BUT STILL HAVEN’T

Postby white_rabbit » Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:30 pm

I skidded by in college on the Cliff Notes of "War & Peace" and "Thus Spoke Zarathustra". I still have the books, but I doubt I'm going to pick them up anytime soon.

Image

But I did read "No Exit" which fucked me up for years.
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 7487
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2003 11:44 pm

Re: STUFF I SHOULD READ BUT STILL HAVEN’T

Postby boston_jeff » Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:16 pm

The sad thing is I have owned Infinite since forever, but have never attempted it. I love Pynchon but never read Gravity's Rainbow. Ulysses ditto. I have tried to read Mason and Dixon 3 times (got through a third of it each time) and I can never finish it either.

Its not like I don't read all the time, I just think that some of these books are more work than pleasure. However, that doesn't make me feel any better when I see them unread on my shelf.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2603
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:41 pm
Location: Near East

Re: STUFF I SHOULD READ BUT STILL HAVEN’T

Postby boston_jeff » Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:21 pm

crevice beatle wrote:Slaughter House Five (or anything else by Vonnegut)
Jitterbug Perfume (or anything else by Robbins)
On the Road (or anything else by Bukowski)

Just looking at that short list shocks me. I'm admitedly not much of a book worm...but I do my fair share of reading - I think if someone told me they never read anything by those three authors, I would assume they don't read anything beyond TV guide.


Vonnegut by far is my favorite author, and a fairly easy read. Start with Breakfast of Champions then Cat's Cradle. I do like Slaughter, but its probably not in my top five for him. I found Robbins, Kerouac, Burroughs, and Hunter S. Thompson to be fairly overrated as writers. I like them as personalities more than I do as authors. Strangely, I love Tom Wolfe.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2603
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:41 pm
Location: Near East

Re: STUFF I SHOULD READ BUT STILL HAVEN’T

Postby Velvet Coffin » Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:26 pm

Nerd alert:

TDPF book club?

Meet twice a month in a bar to commiserate over our inability to get through Infinite Jest or Gravity's Rainbow? Or in a coffee shop so we're forced by observation and group shaming to get through a couple more pages? Either way, we throw things at whomever's actually making progress.
Velvet Coffin
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 153
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:59 pm
Location: Raymond and McKenna

Re: STUFF I SHOULD READ BUT STILL HAVEN’T

Postby boston_jeff » Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:33 pm

I am totally in. My wife just started a female only work book club and I am extremely jealous.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2603
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:41 pm
Location: Near East

Re: STUFF I SHOULD READ BUT STILL HAVEN’T

Postby blunt » Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:25 pm

boston_jeff wrote:
crevice beatle wrote:Slaughter House Five (or anything else by Vonnegut)
Jitterbug Perfume (or anything else by Robbins)
On the Road (or anything else by Bukowski)

Just looking at that short list shocks me. I'm admitedly not much of a book worm...but I do my fair share of reading - I think if someone told me they never read anything by those three authors, I would assume they don't read anything beyond TV guide.


Vonnegut by far is my favorite author, and a fairly easy read. Start with Breakfast of Champions then Cat's Cradle. I do like Slaughter, but its probably not in my top five for him. I found Robbins, Kerouac, Burroughs, and Hunter S. Thompson to be fairly overrated as writers. I like them as personalities more than I do as authors. Strangely, I love Tom Wolfe.


Vonnegut: do Breakfast of Champions. Short teensy paragraphs. Brilliant.
Hand-drawn pictures with a felt pen. The asshole is m favorite. And I still confuse people who announce they're going to take a leak by warning them to leave the mirrors alone.

Robbins: do Another Roadside Attraction.
Jesus's corpse strapped to the top of a Volkswagon van. Nuff said.

Thompson: do Fear and Loathing or Hell's Angels.

Can't do Kerouac or Bukowski.

Two you're sposed to read that I have that are up to the hype:
Catch 22 (read it 6 times) (but I can't seem to get through any of his others, though I've attempted Something happens a bunch of times.)
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (read it 3 times) (though I can't make through his others BUT: have just started Demon Box and LOVE IT. Read the first two pages and you'll be hooked.)
blunt
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 8246
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2001 6:19 pm
Location: Right behind you.

Re: STUFF I SHOULD READ BUT STILL HAVEN’T

Postby white_rabbit » Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:15 pm

Velvet Coffin wrote:Nerd alert:

TDPF book club?

Meet twice a month in a bar to commiserate over our inability to get through Infinite Jest or Gravity's Rainbow? Or in a coffee shop so we're forced by observation and group shaming to get through a couple more pages? Either way, we throw things at whomever's actually making progress.


I'd join, but I'm currently in the middle of an Augsten Burroughs binge, which I'm not sure everyone would enjoy. I'm done reading "Running With Scissors", "Dry", "Possible Side Effects" and "Sellevision" and am waiting for "A Wolf at the Table" to be delivered via Amazon.com. I really enjoy his books, but I'm not sure everyone would. But, if people are serious about starting a reading/book club, I'm in. I might even be inspired to read "Zarathustra".
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 7487
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2003 11:44 pm

Re: STUFF I SHOULD READ BUT STILL HAVEN’T

Postby boston_jeff » Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:06 pm

I love Augusten, and he's amazing at a reading. That said, the reviews of his new book and the accusations have kept me away. Let me (us) know how it is once you've read it. Its weird, when memoirist James Frye was outed as a prevaricator, it didn't scare me away from reading his second book, and he's not as good a writer. But with Augusten, I feel betrayed.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2603
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:41 pm
Location: Near East

Next

Return to Books

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

moviesmusiceats
Select a Movie
Select a Theater


commentsViewedForum
  ISTHMUS FLICKR

Promotions Contact us Privacy Policy Jobs Newsletters RSS
Collapse Photo Bar