MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, November 29, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 27.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

This book looks worth checking out...

What books, zines or other pulp are you reading? What aren't you reading? What should everyone else read?

This book looks worth checking out...

Postby dstol62 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:48 am

dstol62
Forum God/Goddess

Re: This book looks worth checking out...

Postby Henry Chinaski » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:42 am

If you like footnotes, knock yourself out. It's a pretty dull read.
Henry Chinaski

Postby blunt » Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:23 pm

If it's that history of footnotes utilizing footnotes it's supposed to be pretty good.
But the ONE BOOK that RULES ALL in footnote world is:

The Mezzanine but Nicholas Baker

Hilarious, brilliant, obsessive-compulsive tale of a trip through the mall for fresh shoe laces, it renders ANY discussion or creation of anything relating to footnotes SECONDARY.

But i don't know what book you're referring to because I'm too lazy and scared to click on your informationless link.

Maybe you should check it out and let us know.
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bunny Chow » Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:39 pm

blunt wrote:But i don't know what book you're referring to because I'm too lazy and scared to click on your informationless link.

I am not afraid.

It's called the Age of American Unreason by Susan Jacoby.
Bunny Chow
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lardheppus » Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:56 pm

I'd read it, but it would probably make my lips tired.
lardheppus
Forum Addict

Postby Galoot » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:37 pm

Oh, the irony. Madison's libraries do not have this book. But they do have 2 copies of the audiobook, and there are 2 hold requests for it.

Hey, at least they're not going to be playing Guitar Hero. Or maybe they'll listen to the audiobook *while* they are playing Guitar Hero.
Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DedeTate » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:47 pm

The Madison public library system has 37 copies of The Age of American Unreason, and audio/large print versions in addition.
DedeTate
Forum Addict

Postby Galoot » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:54 pm

Yes, DedeTate, my mistake. I clicked on the first "Jacoby, Susan" listed in the search, and the audiobook was the only one listed.

I tried the search again, and found the results you mentioned. I put in a request for the book.

I see a lot of good readers at East High, both in my "college track" classes and in classes that aren't typically seen as college track. The Twilight book is incredibly popular with kids. But most of their questions come from stuff they've seen on TV, rather than things they've read in a newspaper or a magazine.

The students who are college-bound are, for the most part, avid readers. And they seem to be pretty good at sorting out the good from the bad in what they read online, too.

OTOH, I had a guy in my education cohort at Concordia who wanted to become a History/Social Studies teacher, and he fully admitted that he "hated to read", and hadn't read a single book since college. And I had a student at East a couple of years ago with a similar attitude, who wanted to become an elementary school teacher, but "just hated philosophy, it is SO boring". Her resistance to higher-level thinking was a joke among East teachers, though, so she at least stood out for her obstinacy.
Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Books