MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, December 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 30.0° F  Light Snow
Collapse Photo Bar

Books by Madison Locals

What books, zines or other pulp are you reading? What aren't you reading? What should everyone else read?

Books by Madison Locals

Postby IamAloneInTheWorld » Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:42 pm

Anyone know of any books by Madison writers?
Last edited by IamAloneInTheWorld on Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IamAloneInTheWorld
Forum Addict

Re: Books by Madison Locals

Postby surroundedbyreality » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:36 pm

IamAloneInTheWorld wrote:Anyone else know of any books by Madison writers?

I'm sure there's many. Here's a few i know of:
Don't Look Behind You – Samuel Rogers (1944) A professor at the UW. The story takes place in a college town with many similarities to Madison.
Blood Knot – Bruce Algozin (1982) Once a Badger Cab driver
The Chimney Sweeper – John Peyton Cooke (1995) I believe he worked for the Madison Police and used facts from some real stories. It takes place in a city called "Isthmus City".
Vampire Cabbie – Fred Schepartz (2007) About a 1000 year old vampire forced to drive a taxi in Madison.
The Locomotive God (1927) by William Ellery Leonard Professor of English at the UW
surroundedbyreality

Postby narcoleptish » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:06 am

surroundedbyreality wrote: The Chimney Sweeper – John Peyton Cooke (1995) I believe he worked for the Madison Police and used facts from some real stories. It takes place in a city called "Isthmus City".

I had never heard of this book. Obviously inspired by the old chimney bones case. Have you read it? Any idea how much of it is truly fiction?

Along the same lines, Winter Of Frozen Dreams was an interesting read, especially since I knew a couple of people mentioned in the book.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby surroundedbyreality » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:09 pm

narcoleptish wrote:I had never heard of this book. Obviously inspired by the old chimney bones case. Have you read it? Any idea how much of it is truly fiction?

Along the same lines, Winter Of Frozen Dreams was an interesting read, especially since I knew a couple of people mentioned in the book.

I have not read it. Here's a link to an article in madison.com archive about the book:
http://www.madison.com/archives/read.ph ... 300393.php

Another good factual book involving a madison crime is "Crime of Magnitude: The Murder of Little Annie" – Mark Lemberger. The murder took place in 1911.
surroundedbyreality

Postby IamAloneInTheWorld » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:20 am

The "Death of Little Annie" sounds like an interesting book. So does the one that uses a modern day crime in Madison as the basis of the story.
IamAloneInTheWorld
Forum Addict

Postby blunt » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:47 pm

"In his first novel, Madison-based author Sam Savage explores the basic concepts of humanity — with a rat, no less. “Firmin,” though generally dark in tone, is all at once a ponderous story of whimsy, hope, adventure and despair that tugs at the heartstrings of animal lovers, philosophers, humanists and the literary elite alike." -Sarah Probst

"Told from the point-of-view of a hyper-literate rat (Firmin is birthed in the basement of a used bookstore and reads Finnegan's Wake from the pages his mother tore out from Joyce's novel to line her nest), Savage's book is less interested in rat doings than how playing the rat grants him access to the life of a "cosmopolitan lowlife." -Matt Dube
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/book ... r-rat.html
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby chance » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:37 am

IamAloneInTheWorld wrote:Anyone else know of any books by Madison writers?

"Save Me, Julie Kogon" (2007) by cabbie/historian/bibliophile and general wise guy Allen Ruff
chance
Forum Addict

Postby Bwis53 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:57 pm

They Marched Into Sunlight: War and Peace Vietnam and America October 1967 (Hardcover)
by David Maraniss
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby surroundedbyreality » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:39 am

Another true Madison crime book by a local author: Cry Rape:The True Story of One Woman's Harrowing Quest for Justice - Bill Lueders
surroundedbyreality

Postby LitReader » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:51 pm

Just read local author T.A. Sedlak's Anarcho Grow, and it has found a place on my "favorites shelf" next to books by Tom Robbins, Kurt Vonnegut, and Jack Kerouac.
LitReader

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:46 pm

"Hitchhikin from Vietnam" - Richard Chamberlin

Gotta plug this book since Rich is a friend of mine and I'm mentioned in chapter 24.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Thusnelda » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:43 pm

Ooh, he was just di-VINE in The Thorn Birds.
Thusnelda
Forum God/Goddess

Postby greeneyedlady » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:21 am

They Marched Into Sunlight: War and Peace Vietnam and America October 1967 (Hardcover)
by David Maraniss

I really loved this book. My book is The House of Marriage: Poems. You can get it locally or on Amazon, etc.

I'm reading two books by Madison authors right now, as it happens: Lorrie Moore's new one and Michelle Wildgen's new one. They are quite different (especially in their attitudes toward Madison), but both are enjoyable--two good writers.
greeneyedlady

Postby Broadsheet » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:36 pm

Dave Maraniss has a new collection of reporting out called "Into the Story" that contains several Madison reminiscences, including stories of his family, growing up in the Regent Street neighborhood, and seeing his dad Elliott at the old Capital Times. Very nice writing and reading. He also adds some political and sports profiles and his narrative tours-de-force on 9/11 and the Virginia Tech massacre.
David and Linda live here during the warm months. He's now working on an Obama book for 2012.
Broadsheet
Forum Addict

Next

Return to Books