MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 48.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Electronic Readers

What books, zines or other pulp are you reading? What aren't you reading? What should everyone else read?

Electronic Readers

Postby lolagirl » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:35 am

I'm wondering what people think of electronic readers vs books, and the differences between the various readers and formats.

I have both a Kindle and the Kindle app downloaded to an iPad. Overall I really, really like the Kindle. It's great for traveling as a single, small device stores multiple books and games. Love being able to mark passages, take notes, and have the device automatically know where I'm at in every book I'm reading. The device is so small and light that it's easy to carry and read. On the bad side, the lack of a built in light makes it hard to read in low light, and don't get any books with illustrations - the Kindle is black and white only.

The iPad is not as good for reading - there's glare and it's much heavier. Plus I keep accidently touching the screen and turning the page. However, it does have color and the back lighting, while harder on the eyes, is great in low light and at night.

For me, either device beats paper books. Yeah, there's a different feel - but it's a lot nicer to read in bed with a 10oz Kindle than a large book. And for those of us who read more than one book at a time, it's much simpler to have everything in one place.
lolagirl
Forum Addict

Re: Electronic Readers

Postby rabble » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:01 am

I have a reader app on my droid. I like it because I always have a book handy now. I don't like carrying different gadgets. The Kindle and its ilk are nice I guess, but if I have to carry that around I might as well just carry a book. They handle rough treatment better. It's not like I need to have my entire library with me.

I might feel differently about tablets when they pass second or third generation but right now I prefer my phone, teensy though it is, because I like having my calendar, phone, books, shopping lists, bus schedule, etc all in one little candy bar.

My wife thinks I'm nuts and loves her kindle.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:06 am

i was surprised at how much nicer the amazon kindle is compared to the barnes and noble nook. i has assumed they were basically the same, but the kindle has a much nice screen and seems to be a much better piece of hardware.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:29 pm

The question to ask is, "is the book you purchase really yours?" Can it be remotely deleted without your permission? Can you give it to a friend when you're done with it. Can you back it up or read it on more than one type of device?
On the other hand, I often wish I could do a text search for a phrase I read several chapters back somewhere.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:27 pm

fennel wrote:The question to ask is, "is the book you purchase really yours?" Can it be remotely deleted without your permission? Can you give it to a friend when you're done with it. Can you back it up or read it on more than one type of device?
On the other hand, I often wish I could do a text search for a phrase I read several chapters back somewhere.

Amazon has demonstrated many times that THEY decide if you get to keep the book. My wife is okay with that but then it's just for pleasure reading. She rarely goes back to a book she's read. If I was, say, a student doing a paper and making copious notes throughout the book, I'd be irritated to find Amazon had deleted it without warning along with a semester's worth of notes.

I find text search to be great but what I like most is being able to select a word and look it up in the dictionary with just a couple taps. It's made me much more sophisticated.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Books