MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, October 31, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 38.0° F  Mostly Cloudy and Breezy
Collapse Photo Bar

V.S. Naipaul is an ignorant jerk

What books, zines or other pulp are you reading? What aren't you reading? What should everyone else read?

Re: V.S. Naipaul is an ignorant jerk

Postby Huckleby » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:17 pm

The feminist who shuns male authors is exercising a preference, yet may have good taste.
Naipaul has no taste in literature because he does not allow female writers into the top tier.

I get it, bookpolice
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:21 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:
Huckleby wrote:...the point of the question was just to point out the obvious - women's literature is different.

Different from what? From mystery writing? From Greek epic poetry? From biostatistical analysis?

I guess you missed my point. While it's possible to separate out "women's literature" from literature in general, it's an arbitrary decision to do so.

OK, I see your point. I disagree with you. I think women really do bring something different to the table. (Obviously there is overlap between any genres or groupings.)
I think the people in the Women's Studies department would disagree with you too.

Prof. Wagstaff wrote: The average reader is not generally adept at determining the gender of most authors.

Nah, I think most people can tell a male voice from a female voice. With exceptions, of course.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Re: V.S. Naipul is an ignorant jerk

Postby supaunknown » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:36 pm

Huckleby wrote:V.S Naipaul is a great artist. I know one woman who won't read him because of his sexist reputation. She won't read Saul Bellows, either, who is a great author but doesn't have strong female characters. In fact, come to think of it, she reads almost exclusively female authors. She is really smart, a self-taught literature lover, and old school feminist. Is she so different from Naipaul?

Sounds like a matter of personal taste. I wouldn't expect some folks to enjoy the machoism of Hemingway, and/or certainly not the way women are represented in films by Leone.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:46 pm

V.S. Naipaul needs a female author like a fish needs a bicycle!
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Books