MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, July 31, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 65.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

V.S. Naipaul is an ignorant jerk

What books, zines or other pulp are you reading? What aren't you reading? What should everyone else read?

Re: V.S. Naipaul is an ignorant jerk

Postby Huckleby » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:17 pm

The feminist who shuns male authors is exercising a preference, yet may have good taste.
Naipaul has no taste in literature because he does not allow female writers into the top tier.

I get it, bookpolice
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:21 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:
Huckleby wrote:...the point of the question was just to point out the obvious - women's literature is different.

Different from what? From mystery writing? From Greek epic poetry? From biostatistical analysis?

I guess you missed my point. While it's possible to separate out "women's literature" from literature in general, it's an arbitrary decision to do so.

OK, I see your point. I disagree with you. I think women really do bring something different to the table. (Obviously there is overlap between any genres or groupings.)
I think the people in the Women's Studies department would disagree with you too.

Prof. Wagstaff wrote: The average reader is not generally adept at determining the gender of most authors.

Nah, I think most people can tell a male voice from a female voice. With exceptions, of course.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Re: V.S. Naipul is an ignorant jerk

Postby supaunknown » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:36 pm

Huckleby wrote:V.S Naipaul is a great artist. I know one woman who won't read him because of his sexist reputation. She won't read Saul Bellows, either, who is a great author but doesn't have strong female characters. In fact, come to think of it, she reads almost exclusively female authors. She is really smart, a self-taught literature lover, and old school feminist. Is she so different from Naipaul?

Sounds like a matter of personal taste. I wouldn't expect some folks to enjoy the machoism of Hemingway, and/or certainly not the way women are represented in films by Leone.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:46 pm

V.S. Naipaul needs a female author like a fish needs a bicycle!
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Books