MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, August 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 64.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

LOST

How can cultural elitists like ourselves put TV in the Culture category? Well, where the hell else is it going to fit?

Opinion on Lost?

This show is a sign that the TV show as an art form is not dead.
53%
This show sucked, and I think you're insane for liking it.
No votes
Just a good show.
10%
You only like this because you're insane. Get help.
No votes
Never seen it.
28%
It just sucks in a regular way.
10%

Total votes : 40

Postby Villanelle » Mon May 05, 2008 2:15 pm

I find this show amusing and enjoy watching it. I think it is far from a great show, but is still entertaining.

The writers just keep adding more mysteries without explaining past ones. Most are just left unexplained, because I assume the writers just don't know how to explain them. I'm still wondering why there was a killer polar bear in the jungle during the 1st season-- never mind the smoke monster.
Villanelle

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon May 05, 2008 2:17 pm

Villanelle wrote:I find this show amusing and enjoy watching it. I think it is far from a great show, but is still entertaining.

The writers just keep adding more mysteries without explaining past ones. Most are just left unexplained, because I assume the writers just don't know how to explain them. I'm still wondering why there was a killer polar bear in the jungle during the 1st season-- never mind the smoke monster.

If you've been watching and you can't answer that question, then you haven't really been paying attention.

(the answer, by the way, is that the DHARMA Initiative brought them there for experiments in deterritorialization. the real question is, to what end?)
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Mon May 05, 2008 3:33 pm

Just this season, episode 2 only a couple months ago, there Charlotte found a polar bear skeleton in the desert with a Dharma tag on it. This isn't a forgotten mystery.

And the black smoke monster showed up just last week, revealing new information about Ben's control over it. The BSM policy is they won't show it unless they reveal something about it, and I have a feeling its the same for other stuff. Hurley's Bird aint going to be seen again until they have some answer as to what kind of bird it is. Random polar bear attacks would take away from the mystery, and take your eye off more important story issues.

They stack mysteries, but a lot of them have a common answer that comes back to Dharma or Widmore or Ben or the strange power of the island itself. It would not be a stretch to think they'll answer all of it within the next 2 seasons they have planned.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Villanelle » Mon May 05, 2008 8:15 pm

Have they given us any information on why Jack can't father Aaron or was the last episode the first time they brought that up?
Villanelle

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon May 05, 2008 9:59 pm

Villanelle wrote:Have they given us any information on why Jack can't father Aaron or was the last episode the first time they brought that up?

The most recent episode was the first time that specific father/son paradigm was mentioned, but the concept dates back to the first season, when Richard Malkin (the psychic) told Claire that it was imperative that she and she alone raise the child.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Fri May 30, 2008 8:25 am

i thought it was a very good season ender, though the last two thirds of it was kind of a come down from the truly thrilling sayid knife/fist/star trek fight at the beginning.

and the scene where ben physically "moves" the island was goofy and cheesy in a bad way.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri May 30, 2008 8:31 am

depinmad wrote:i thought it was a very good season ender, though the last two thirds of it was kind of a come down from the truly thrilling sayid knife/fist/star trek fight at the beginning.

and the scene where ben physically "moves" the island was goofy and cheesy in a bad way.

It's a science-fiction show. Always has been. Get ready for more of it. It's only cheesy if you're expecting Hamlet.

The king is dead! Long live the king!
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby chainsawcurtis » Fri May 30, 2008 8:35 am

TheBookPolice wrote:It's a science-fiction show. Always has been. Get ready for more of it. It's only cheesy if you're expecting Hamlet.

Well, if you're talking about time traveling bunnies, yes!
chainsawcurtis
Forum Addict

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri May 30, 2008 8:40 am

chainsawcurtis wrote:
TheBookPolice wrote:It's a science-fiction show. Always has been. Get ready for more of it. It's only cheesy if you're expecting Hamlet.

Well, if you're talking about time traveling bunnies, yes!

Exactly.

Now, tell me that line and Michael Emerson's delivery of it wasn't hilarious.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Fri May 30, 2008 8:50 am

i don't have any problem with cheesy sci fi. that's me raving about how great the star trek knife fight with keemy and sayid was.

all i'm saying is: the frozen donkey wheel was a piece of shit.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby chainsawcurtis » Fri May 30, 2008 8:55 am

The wife and I watch it mostly for the soap opera but we had forgotten about this -

http://www.youtube.com/v/4bTvAUVPyLI&hl=en

And no matter what you think about Star Trek, especially the old ones, Roddenberry's vision was always the best when it depicted mano a mano/mano a mano-in-a rubber-alien-suit combat at the end of the episode.[/url]
chainsawcurtis
Forum Addict

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri May 30, 2008 9:11 am

depinmad wrote:i don't have any problem with cheesy sci fi. that's me raving about how great the star trek knife fight with keemy and sayid was.

all i'm saying is: the frozen donkey wheel was a piece of shit.

Oh, I have no beef with the merc fight. That kicked ass. I knew you were talking about the donkey wheel. I want to know why you feel so strongly negative about it.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Fri May 30, 2008 9:44 am

i thought the concept of the donkey wheel in general was silly in a way that lost usually isn't, and the set design and wheel prop itself looked cheap and phony in a way that lost usually doesn't.
i love the idea of being able to "move" the island, i just think the method was unjustifiably dopey. and also the idea that whoever "moves" the island can never return to it is kind of arbitrary, as far as cosmic rules go.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri May 30, 2008 10:02 am

depinmad wrote:also the idea that whoever "moves" the island can never return to it is kind of arbitrary, as far as cosmic rules go.

I just posted this on another forum:

Is the whole "whoever moves the Island can't come back" thing a prohibition or just a practical assumption? Does the Island affirmatively prevent an Island-mover from returning, like it prevents suicide, or does the act of moving the Island make it so difficult to re-locate that it's functionally improbable for that person to get back to it?
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Fri May 30, 2008 12:07 pm

I thought it interesting that by the end of the episode, the action had caught up completely with the flashes.

I wonder what, if any, device the next season will use. Or who it will follow. Season 5 could be the six+others trying to get back, or we could have a fundamentally different show with Sawyer and Juliet leading a camp on the beach with Locke and Alpert running around with the Others. Charlotte and Miles will make interesting additions to the island's crew on a regular basis.

Either way, it was a bigger game changer than I expected, and though Jin exploded and Locke is in a pine box, I'm not convinced we've seen the last of them.

Michael, however, is dead.

Frank Lapidus has earned a place in my heart now. I really like him: no nonsense, genuinely good guy who just wanted to get those people out of there with minimal trouble. While Jack said he hopes he never sees him again, I hope we do. A great character and a good guy to have in their corner.

Faraday in his dingy with the red shirts, I can only assume teleported with the Island. As did the neighbor island with the polar bear cage from Season 3.

As usual the fate of Rose, Bernard, and Vincent remains unseen, but implied that they're ok.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to TV