MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, December 26, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 38.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

best tv show EVER

How can cultural elitists like ourselves put TV in the Culture category? Well, where the hell else is it going to fit?

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:26 pm

For the record, I didn't say the soap opera format was bad, I said that modern viewers merely assumed it was superior, and that's nothing more than a personal preference. No derision was intended, but I see why you may have thought so.

I could list many examples of high-quality soap-style shows -- I'm not knocking it when done well. My argument is really that it's so expected now that the format seeps into shows where it doesn't belong - such as the previously mentioned Law and Order. Just show me the case, thank you.

Of course, other times it's not just preferred, it's necessary. This goes a long way towards explaining the failure of Star Trek: Voyager, for example, which should have employed long-term storytelling but instead chose to hit the "reset button" at the end of every episode.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:33 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:Of course, other times it's not just preferred, it's necessary. This goes a long way towards explaining the failure of Star Trek: Voyager, for example, which should have employed long-term storytelling but instead chose to hit the "reset button" at the end of every episode.

Y'know, you're right. And I never would have considered it on my own. But Voyager never really did stick whole-heartedly with the "getting back home" storyline. There never was that sense of desperation and innovation that you know would have been in the minds of the characters. It was "set cruise-control towards Earth", and then every time they'd meet someone or something new that posed a threat, then they'd freak out about the immediacy of the need to get home.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:51 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:But Voyager never really did stick whole-heartedly with the "getting back home" storyline.

They also never stuck with the even-more-promising, IMO, "two enemy crews forced to work together" storyline, which was a real shame. They had conflict built into the show's very premise, yet they always found it outside the ship. Bah!
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:11 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:
TheBookPolice wrote:But Voyager never really did stick whole-heartedly with the "getting back home" storyline.

They also never stuck with the even-more-promising, IMO, "two enemy crews forced to work together" storyline, which was a real shame. They had conflict built into the show's very premise, yet they always found it outside the ship. Bah!

Forced to work with "terrorists"... It was a show, the appeal of whose premise was ahead of its time.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby christopher_robin » Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:04 pm

Agree that Lost was a bad example and shouldn't be lumped in with the dreck, since the writers of Lost have actually done a pretty good job of steadily uncovering mysteries while perpetuating the series.
christopher_robin
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to TV