MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Saturday, July 12, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 77.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

best tv show EVER

How can cultural elitists like ourselves put TV in the Culture category? Well, where the hell else is it going to fit?

Postby Scooterboy » Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:16 am

The Avengers - Someday I will be John Steed!
Scooterboy
Senior Member
 
Posts: 70
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:35 pm

Postby isradelacon » Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:22 pm

Dead Like Me and Seinfeld, of course, are my all time favs.
isradelacon
Member
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:32 pm
Location: Madisaigon

Postby blunt » Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:25 pm

My World And Welcome To It
(how's this for obscure?)
Ancient show about cartoonist/writer James Therber starring one of those totally recognizable character actors no one can remember the name of.
http://www.tvparty.com/recworld.html
blunt
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 8246
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2001 6:19 pm
Location: Right behind you.

Postby wolfsbane » Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:10 pm

I'd have to put up Deadwood as the best ever. Every aspect of it was at a higher level of craftsmanship than anything I've ever seen on TV. It would be followed closely by Six Feet Under. I haven't seen The Wire yet. Other all-time favorites for me:

China Beach
The Simpsons
Cheers
Buffy/Angel
30something/My So-Called Life/Relativity/Once & Again
Deep Space Nine
Highlander
Northern Exposure
Seinfeld
Arrested Development
The Addams Family

I only watch DVDs now. I gave up on the networks when Once and Again was canceled, and discontinued my Tivo and stopped watching altogether after the Deadwood finale. One current show that I can't recommend enough in The 4400, seasons 1-3 are on DVD.
wolfsbane
Senior Member
 
Posts: 74
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:02 am

Postby depinmad » Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:09 pm

if you love deadwood, you should check out john from cincinatti. it's got david milch writing the same kind of byzantine dialogue he did for deadwood, and a lot of the same cast.
on the other hand, i'm the only person i know who likes it.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2062
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:17 am

Postby wolfsbane » Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:33 am

I think the extreme dialogue may be my favorite element in Deadwood. I've actually gone back to NYPD Blue DVDs to get more Milch. I also like filmmakers who use strange, overly complex dialogue, like Hal Hartley, Woody Allen, David Mamet, and Whit Stillman. Obviously, I am just a typical tv viewer.

Oh, and I almost forgot - Sports Night. That was the best crazy rapid-fire dialogue I have seen since His Girl Friday or Bringing Up Baby.
wolfsbane
Senior Member
 
Posts: 74
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:02 am

Postby Paco » Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:50 am

My favs were/are:

Tier 1:
The Office (UK version)
Arrested Development
Sopranos
24 (except the last season).

and where's the love for 'Big Love'?? Nikki is wonderful in that.
Paco
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 7533
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2001 11:41 am
Location: Whoville

Postby Bwis53 » Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:46 am

Arrested Developement is that good huh?
I got a DVD for Christmas, I still haven't watched.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6278
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2002 9:39 pm
Location: Bay Creek

Postby blunt » Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:12 pm

Bwis53 wrote:Arrested Developement is that good huh?
I got a DVD for Christmas, I still haven't watched.


:shock:

Go home and watch it.
NOW.
blunt
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 8246
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2001 6:19 pm
Location: Right behind you.

Postby TAsunder » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:33 am

Seasons 1-3 on DVD are $22 each at bestbuy.com.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 4781
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2001 1:21 pm
Location: Near East Side, Madison

Postby blunt » Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:05 pm

And for rent at 4 Star.
But why not go to the library?
All three seasons available for FREE.
blunt
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 8246
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2001 6:19 pm
Location: Right behind you.

Postby TAsunder » Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:16 pm

blunt wrote:And for rent at 4 Star.
But why not go to the library?
All three seasons available for FREE.


It's $22.45 per season to rent them at four star. For the cost of shipping and tax you can own them.

Good luck with the library. I'd hate to have to put holds on each disc in the proper order and hope to finish within the next 10 years. There are 43 holds on the first disc, for example.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 4781
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2001 1:21 pm
Location: Near East Side, Madison

Postby blunt » Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:28 pm

TAsunder wrote:
blunt wrote:And for rent at 4 Star.
But why not go to the library?
All three seasons available for FREE.


It's $22.45 per season to rent them at four star. For the cost of shipping and tax you can own them.

Good luck with the library. I'd hate to have to put holds on each disc in the proper order and hope to finish within the next 10 years. There are 43 holds on the first disc, for example.


Twoo dat.
But: I use my rent-1-get-1 free coupon.
And the thing about the library: I was able to snag the copies in the right order quickly. Not 10 years.
It depends on how many copies they own.
But the final issue is whether or not to buy something I'll never wath again. I usually don't buy movies or books anymore.
But yes, AD is something to be savored over and over again.
OH: and Arrested Development Season 1, Disc one, has only 4 holds and EIGHT copies.
See? You'll have it in a day or two.
blunt
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 8246
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2001 6:19 pm
Location: Right behind you.

Postby TAsunder » Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:44 pm

blunt wrote:
TAsunder wrote:
blunt wrote:And for rent at 4 Star.
But why not go to the library?
All three seasons available for FREE.


It's $22.45 per season to rent them at four star. For the cost of shipping and tax you can own them.

Good luck with the library. I'd hate to have to put holds on each disc in the proper order and hope to finish within the next 10 years. There are 43 holds on the first disc, for example.


Twoo dat.
But: I use my rent-1-get-1 free coupon.
And the thing about the library: I was able to snag the copies in the right order quickly. Not 10 years.
It depends on how many copies they own.
But the final issue is whether or not to buy something I'll never wath again. I usually don't buy movies or books anymore.
But yes, AD is something to be savored over and over again.
OH: and Arrested Development Season 1, Disc one, has only 4 holds and EIGHT copies.
See? You'll have it in a day or two.


OK, I should have clarified, I'm talking about the Wire, not AD
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 4781
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2001 1:21 pm
Location: Near East Side, Madison

Postby blunt » Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:50 pm

You broke the thread!
blunt
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 8246
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2001 6:19 pm
Location: Right behind you.

PreviousNext

Return to TV

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

moviesmusiceats
Select a Movie
Select a Theater


FacebookcommentsViewedForum
  ISTHMUS FLICKR

Promotions Contact us Privacy Policy Jobs Newsletters RSS
Collapse Photo Bar