MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, September 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 55.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Television Shows You Want To See Released On DVD

How can cultural elitists like ourselves put TV in the Culture category? Well, where the hell else is it going to fit?

Re: Television Shows You Want To See Released On DVD

Postby MadMind » Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:53 am

Here are some more eighties goodies which are not commercially available on DVD.

Mr. Merlin 1981-1982
Starring Barnard Hughes (Grandfather from Lost Boys)
Sword of Excalibur.

Tales of the Gold Monkey 1982
Wikipedia Entry
Starring Stephen Collins (father/reverend from 7th Heaven)
Capitalizing off of Raiders Of The Lost Ark success.

Bring 'Em Back Alive 1982-1983
Starring Bruce Boxleitner of TRON fame.
Capitalizing off of Raiders Of The Lost Ark success.

Manimal 1983
Starring Simon MacCorkindale, Site 2, Site 3
Features a man who can transform into various animals.

Mr. Smith 1983
Starring Tim Dunigan
Features a talking orangutan!

Wizards and Warriors 1983
Wikipedia Entry
Starring Jeff Conaway

Captain Power and the Soldiers of the Future 1987-1988
Wikipedia Entry
Starring Tim Dunigan

Hooperman 1987-1989
Wikipedia Entry
Starring John Ritter
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadM2nd » Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:56 am

Tales From The Darkside finally got an official DVD release this year, with season 2 set to be released just before Halloween on Oct 27th.
Werewolf was originally set to be released on DVD this month (then it was pushed back to October), but those pesky music issues have pushed it back to 2010 TBA.
MadM2nd

Postby Drinkslinger » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:30 am

The Larry Sanders Show.

All the episodes were on youtube, but they were finally pulled off. A "best of" DVD is out there, but the word is it is currently to hard to get all the bands that made cameos to sign off on the rights for a DVD release.

That said, it is one of the best shows not on DVD.
Drinkslinger

Re:

Postby MadMind75 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:14 pm

EastSideTom wrote:Getting rights to music for DVD's is a huge, expensive problem.

I am so disgusted with the music industry over this. Furthermore, I just don't understand it. I think that if they signed the rights to have their music in a show when it aired, that it should carry over. Rarely if ever is this a problem for movies on DVD. I mean if there's some sort of product placement in a television episode, and it's released on DVD, does the producer of said product get royalties? I've never seen product placement removed from a television show on DVD.

A show I was waiting to be released, Werewolf, the DVD release was canceled because of only two artists who didn't want to "play ball". Two!
Shout Factory gave the rights back to Sony because of this.
It just baffles the mind. Music rights standing in the way of DVD releases SHOULD NOT BE AN ISSUE, PERIOD!
F$#@in' greedy ass music companies!

Drinkslinger wrote:The Larry Sanders Show.

It isn't Larry Sanders, but they did just release the complete Garry Shandling show on DVD if you didn't already know.
MadMind75
Forum Addict

Postby sims » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:16 pm

Complete Larry Sanders Show now on DVD... finally!!
sims
Forum Addict

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:23 pm

MadMind75 wrote:I think that if they signed the rights to have their music in a show when it aired, that it should carry over. Rarely if ever is this a problem for movies on DVD. I mean if there's some sort of product placement in a television episode, and it's released on DVD, does the producer of said product get royalties?

Didn't notice this back in October, but since this thread's been resurrected...

I wholeheartedly agree with you that it's super-annoying when music rights hold shit up, but your product placement comparison makes no sense. In fact, it's completely backwards.

Record companies/artists/publishers/whoever get paid royalties when their music is used in films or shows whereas advertisers pay to have their products featured. So while it makes (some sort of) sense to argue that if music helps to sell a film, additional $ should be paid for its use, why would anyone complain about additional advertising at no extra cost?
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind75 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:43 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:Didn't notice this back in October, but since this thread's been resurrected...

That was October...2009! Resurrected by spam nonetheless!

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:I wholeheartedly agree with you that it's super-annoying when music rights hold shit up, but your product placement comparison makes no sense. In fact, it's completely backwards.

Record companies/artists/publishers/whoever get paid royalties when their music is used in films or shows whereas advertisers pay to have their products featured. So while it makes (some sort of) sense to argue that if music helps to sell a film, additional $ should be paid for its use, why would anyone complain about additional advertising at no extra cost?

Ok then! I have been set straight. Good point, guess I wasn't thinkin'.
Why is this rarely an issue with movies, though? Do studios pay some sort of flat-fee to license music? Or do the music-rights holders get additional $ when movies are released on DVD as well?
Is this simply less of an issue because movie studios are more willing to pay out a 2nd time on account of the fact that movies on DVD have more guaranteed profits & higher profit margins than TV on DVD?
MadMind75
Forum Addict

Postby MadMind75 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:23 am

Rascal Dazzle (1980)
HBO documentary/highlights compilation taken from Little Rascals episodes, narrated by Jerry Lewis.

The Mind's Eye: A Computer Animation Odyssey (1990)
The first, and arguably the best and most memorable video in The Mind's Eye series.
Full Video - Part I

Doctor Who - The Tom Baker Years (1992)
MadMind75
Forum Addict

Postby MadMind75 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:21 am

Edit: Nevermind. My suggestion didn't fit in this category.
MadMind75
Forum Addict

Previous

Return to TV