MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, September 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 56.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Northern Exposure on DVD

How can cultural elitists like ourselves put TV in the Culture category? Well, where the hell else is it going to fit?

Northern Exposure on DVD

Postby MadMind » Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:24 am

http://www.northernexposuredvd.com/

I used to enjoy Northern Exposure and have a little over two dozen episodes on tape.

I did hear however that Northern Exposure on DVD fell victim to the same detraction that other TV shows on DVD have suffered. The extraction/replacement of licensed music.

Now I haven't seen enough television shows on DVD to be familiar with the outcome. Do they always replace it with other music? Where does the substitute music come from? A make-shift house band?
What of instances where a song is introduced by a character? (In the first episode, Ed puts a cassette in his pick-up and introduces it by name.)

I think music plays an extremely important role in all media, so I was rather disappointed to hear that one of the only hour-long television dramas that I watched in the nineties was regretfully compromised.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Northern Exposure on DVD

Postby donges » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:51 am

MadMind wrote:http://www.northernexposuredvd.com/

I used to enjoy Northern Exposure and have a little over two dozen episodes on tape.

I did hear however that Northern Exposure on DVD fell victim to the same detraction that other TV shows on DVD have suffered. The extraction/replacement of licensed music.

Northern Exposure didn't suffer from this as much as other shows, I don't believe. Maybe 'cause much of the music initially part of each episode was so esoteric to begin with?

Amazon Review for 3rd Season wrote:
45 of 46 people found the following review helpful:
The Real Deal (with careful examination), June 18, 2005
By Brad Eastridge (Tennessee) - See all my reviews
True, the parka pack is gone, and I do miss it. However the change to slimcases warrants a more manageable packaging. And I am in favor of the slimcases because of the improvement of episode listings and synopses on the sleeves. That is definitely nice. Now, more pressing matters:
MUSIC: I went through after purchase to satisfy my curiosity (I didn't have anything else to do at the moment) and held my breath. ALL THE PLOT-INTRINSIC SONGS ARE INTACT, except for the original Chieftans "Coolin Medley" from "Wake up Call". In terms of incidental music from The Brick and KBHR, "Jolie Louise" by Daniel Lanois is missing from "The Body In Question", and there are a few more that may be changed, but the majority is still there. All of David Schwartz's brilliant music is still intact, the wonderful symphonic stuff and Willie Nelson's "Hand's on the Wheel" are staples of "Three Amigos" (perhaps my favorite episode)-still there. Billie Holiday's "Let's Dream in the Moonlight" from "Only You", Bela Fleck and the Flecktones' "Flight of the Cosmic Hippo" from "Jules et Joel", The Chieftans' do have "Il Est Ne" intact in "Seoul Mates", Bach's "Invention #8" and Fredrica von Staade's beautiful "Bailero" from "Wake up Call", Strauss' "Blue Danube" from "Burning Down The House", "Democracy In America" 's Copland "Simple Gifts" and the stuff from the American Boys Choir, Enya's "Caribbean Blue" from "The Final Frontier", and the one I held my breath on, the quintessential quirky song, without which the sequence could not work, "Toy Cows in Africa" by Chance for "It Happened In Juneau"!
So, yes there are a couple of songs missing, and I miss them-great songs. But EVERY OTHER ONE I CHECKED is intact, the video and audio quality: excellent. Still deleted scenes and unexposed footage, the latter now presented in three season-encompassing 10-minute blooper reels, as well as the assemblage of footage from Ed's film.
All in all, it is not perfect. But mostly.
IT"S WORTH IT!!!

link
donges
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Northern Exposure on DVD

Postby MadMind » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:10 pm

donges wrote:
MadMind wrote:http://www.northernexposuredvd.com/

Northern Exposure didn't suffer from this as much as other shows, I don't believe.

Well that is good to hear. I guess I can tape over those old VHS copies of the show and not feel too badly about it then.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby donges » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:32 pm

I have seasons 1 thru 5 on dvd and haven't really noticed any reduction in enjoyment. As that reviewer said, though, missing a key song like "Toy Cows in Africa" would have completely destroyed the episode.
donges
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:50 pm

OK, this thread raises the question: When the hell will this shit stop?

In the '50s, nobody knew that TV shows had a future in re-runs, let alone in home video sales, so it's completely understandable that barriers like this would exist.

By the '70s, folks knew about re-runs, but still had no idea about the upcoming home video market, so again, I'll cut them some slack.

But for fuck's sake, NE aired in the freakin' '90s. Huge re-run market and huge home video market were clearly established. Would it be so much to ask that they clear up all this bullshit about music rights before they put it in a show? How can modern producers NOT realize that this is a future headache waiting to happen? Make the calls, draw up the papers and GET THE FUCKING RIGHTS FOR BROADCAST AND RE-RUNS AND HOME VIDEO, already.

It's as if everyone has the memory of a freakin' goldfish! Do the creators/producers/writers who choose these "perfect" songs just not care that their work of art is guaranteed to be butchered for later release or are they really that cheap/ignorant/lazy?
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:31 pm

As far as the rights go, I'm guessing the reason is money - it's easier to justify the creation of a home video release for marginal shows if there haven't been rights signed away already.

As far as Northern Exposure goes, I liked it a lot when it started out, and began to like it less as the years went on. I've never been a "jump the shark" kind of person, but in this case I think I can identify two specific things:

- Minor characters (e.g. Ruth Ann) started getting lots of screen time for no apparent reason. They weren't great roles needing expansion, or great actors looking to break out.
- Plots went from unbelievable to ridiculously unbelievable.

Of course things went totally to pot when Morrow left. However, I do give them geek points for (IIRC) actually getting terminology correct during the bowling episode during the last season.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Return to TV