MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, February 27, 2015 |  Madison, WI: 3.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Hooray for Kathy Griffin!

How can cultural elitists like ourselves put TV in the Culture category? Well, where the hell else is it going to fit?

Hooray for Kathy Griffin!

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:58 am

I can't believe I wrote that headline, either, but damn if she doesn't deserve props for her acceptance speech at the Emmys, which is already on the cutting room floor, apparently.

In her speech, Griffin said that "a lot of people come up here and thank Jesus for this award. I want you to know that no one had less to do with this award than Jesus."

'Bout fuckin' time a celebrity acknowledged that particular bit of bullshit. And The Catholic League calling this "hate speech" is beyond ridiculous.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Learned » Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:05 pm

I'm guessing Jesus doesn't/wouldn't mind Kathy Griffin distancing herself from (H)im.
Learned
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:43 pm

Ha, fabulous! The Academy can't be too surprised, given how she reacted to not winning last year (or the year before, maybe?). I'd love to see footage of that.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:48 pm

"This award is my god now!!"

Awesome! That has to wind up on YouTube.
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:55 pm

It took some digging, as most sources of this story don't even want to print it, but she actually preceded the comment just quoted by nevermore with, "Suck it, Jesus..."

I'll bet they won't be broadcasting Elaine Stritch's comments, either.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:13 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:It took some digging, as most sources of this story don't even want to print it, but she actually preceded the comment just quoted by nevermore with, "Suck it, Jesus..."

I'll bet they won't be broadcasting Elaine Stritch's comments, either.

Both a couple of my favorites. I truly admire their stuggles. Kathy got a raw deal.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:03 pm

KG rules.
Watch the D-list.
She should be on the A- list by now.
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Hooray for Kathy Griffin!

Postby Oprah » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:29 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:'Bout fuckin' time a celebrity acknowledged that particular bit of bullshit. And The Catholic League calling this "hate speech" is beyond ridiculous.

It's obvious that Jesus isn't going to stop the shit that's going on in Darfur (and other worldly atrocities) or use his almighty powers to stop killer tsunamis (or other natural disaters), so I'm sure he's not going to be helping folks win awards (or football games). I say it's time for Jesus to man up.
Oprah
Forum God/Goddess

Postby square » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:39 pm

I fucking hate that pussy Carlos Mencia.
square
Forum Addict

Postby Igor » Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:18 am

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:And The Catholic League calling this "hate speech" is beyond ridiculous.

So you are looking for logic in the area of hate crimes/speech? Good luck with that.

Predictably, KG chose to be critical of the views of others, instead of trying to portray her own views in a positive light. I guess atheists need their Falwells too, but I find them to be just as annoying.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:23 am

Igor wrote:
Prof. Wagstaff wrote:And The Catholic League calling this "hate speech" is beyond ridiculous.

So you are looking for logic in the area of hate crimes/speech? Good luck with that.

Good point.

Igor wrote:Predictably, KG chose to be critical of the views of others, instead of trying to portray her own views in a positive light.

Stupid point.
Taking credit for your own hard work IS portraying her views in a positive light. On the other hand, pretending that your art comes from a supernatural force (or more likely, lying about it to make yourself look humble in the eyes of your peers and fans) or to even suggest that an omnipotent being has even the slightest interest in writing comedy bits for the amusement of cable television fans, well... that's insulting to pretty much everyone. Or at least it would be if they'd just stop and think about it for half a minute.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Twofer4 » Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:40 am

Learned wrote:I'm guessing Jesus doesn't/wouldn't mind Kathy Griffin distancing herself from (H)im.

yeah, he/she/it is rumored to be a hater of anyone that disagrees with the fable. Just ask the modern day crusaders.(aka GWB's base)
Twofer4
Forum Addict

Postby Igor » Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:26 am

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:
Igor wrote:Predictably, KG chose to be critical of the views of others, instead of trying to portray her own views in a positive light.

Stupid point.
Taking credit for your own hard work IS portraying her views in a positive light. On the other hand, pretending that your art comes from a supernatural force (or more likely, lying about it to make yourself look humble in the eyes of your peers and fans) or to even suggest that an omnipotent being has even the slightest interest in writing comedy bits for the amusement of cable television fans, well... that's insulting to pretty much everyone. Or at least it would be if they'd just stop and think about it for half a minute.

Something tells me if she had told MLK, Reagan, Obama, Kanye West, Bob Dylan, or a host of others to "Suck it" there would also have been a controversy.

Part of most people's belief in God is a belief that he is either actively or passively involved in your life, regardless of if you are CEO, garbage collector, or even cable TV star. Is there non-sincere thanking of God at these shows? Sure, but no more so than producers, co-stars, spouses, or parents.

Frankly, if excessive thanking of God is the most annoying thing about the Emmys, they must have improved a lot recently.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ShaneDog » Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:43 am

Igor wrote:

Predictably, KG chose to be critical of the views of others, instead of trying to portray her own views in a positive light. I guess atheists need their Falwells too, but I find them to be just as annoying.
She's a comedian. It's basically her job to make fun of people.
ShaneDog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:46 am

Igor wrote:Something tells me if she had told MLK, Reagan, Obama, Kanye West, Bob Dylan, or a host of others to "Suck it" there would also have been a controversy.

Probably, or why do it? Last year at the Emmys she decided to take a poke at the convention of losing nominees clapping politely when the winner is announced. When Extreme Home Makeover won her category, she jumped up from her front-row seat, declared she'd been robbed, said fuck you to the Academy, flipped off the winners while telling them to suck her dick, and waltzed out of the auditorium, high-fiving the ushers as she went. Who hasn't dreamed of seeing that at an awards show? Seriously.

For Jesus' sake, Donohue, get your head out of your ass. She's a comedian with a bit (her standup show in which she recounts last year's Emmy dust-up is called "Suck It"), and she brings it on home. I think she's really funny, but even for those who don't, the hate speech charge is completely retarded.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to TV