MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, July 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 64.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

What the? Charter doesn't carry Discovery HD??

How can cultural elitists like ourselves put TV in the Culture category? Well, where the hell else is it going to fit?

What the? Charter doesn't carry Discovery HD??

Postby TAsunder » Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:53 am

Just signed up for the HD Tier, excited to be able to see a 4 inch wide lazy eye on stuart scott, and maybe some weird aboriginal tribes on discovery HD. But apparently we don't get discovery HD through charter? Huh?? Thank goodness we get TNT in HD so I can watch them stretch 4:3 content to 16:9 and thereby ruin the show.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:48 am

yeah we do. or at least we do over in dudgeon monroe.
i think they changed the name recently though, it might not be called discovery hd it might be hd theater something or other.
however, you're right about the total waste of space that is A&E HD, History HD, and TNT HD. 90 percent of the programming is wrong aspect ratio garbage.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:00 am

Aha... HDT is it? Wow, do I feel stupid.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Re: What the? Charter doesn't carry Discovery HD??

Postby Kenneth Burns » Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:38 pm

TAsunder wrote:Just signed up for the HD Tier, excited to be able to see a 4 inch wide lazy eye on stuart scott, and maybe some weird aboriginal tribes on discovery HD. But apparently we don't get discovery HD through charter? Huh?? Thank goodness we get TNT in HD so I can watch them stretch 4:3 content to 16:9 and thereby ruin the show.

How much does that tier cost? Do you have the HD PVR too?
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:16 pm

It's either $6 or 7. I don't have their HD PVR. I have a Tivo Series 3 so I don't need it. My neighbor does, though, and seems happy enough with it. I think it's another $7/mo.

Not sure if it's worth it so far. This weekend I'll poke around and see. I'm pretty annoyed by the stretchification of TNT-HD, but as soon as I watch some basketball that might all change.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:24 am

DirecTV carries both HD Theater AND Discovery HD. Yes they are two different channels and they offer different content.

HD Theater is sort of a showcase channel and is slightly more repetitive than Discovery HD.

And yes Basketball in HD looks killer.
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Return to TV